With all of the DL on our roster...... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With all of the DL on our roster......

finsnchips said:
you gotta remember that taylor, roth and d.bowens can all stand up at OLB.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see Roth coming in off the edge.

yeah the problem with getting rid of bowens is he could work out in the 3-4 as an OLB... but we do have some big LBs now where we might not need him, and also roth... so for the 3-4 the OLBs could be JT, roth, Seau, Crowder?

I think if we need more salary cap this year, D. Bowens and Zgonina shall be cut. We need to get younger is SABAN way.

arsenal said:
yeah the problem with getting rid of bowens is he could work out in the 3-4 as an OLB... but we do have some big LBs now where we might not need him, and also roth... so for the 3-4 the OLBs could be JT, roth, Seau, Crowder?

I'd rather see Seau play one of the inside LB positions in the 3-4 formation. He doesn't have the speed that Crowder, Roth, Taylor, and even Moore has.

Why does everyone want to cut DBow? The guy was one of our best DL on the team.

Yea, package McIntosh and David Bowens to the Cards for LJ Shelton....They get a good, but not great starter (Bowens) and a decent backup to 4 of the 5 OL spots. We get a good, but not great LT that has disappointed somewhat so far, but have a coach that could make a difference with him. And if they balk at the deal, throw in Zgonia, a pretty good situational DE/DT, a guy that could rotate in and rest the starters....We could just about break even on the salary between those three since they don't seem to fit into Saban's system very well and get at least, a mediocre to good LT...???

Any takers...

Sal Lisitano said:
In the end...I see D. Bowens getting cut...T. Bowens will probably retire...his injury is serious and I don't think we can take a risk (T. Bowens is the last player left from the Shula era...and I will miss big TimBo)...I see J. Zgonina getting cut...

I hope I'm wrong but I also don't see J. Taylor in Saban's long-term plans.

Go Fins!!!

I agree, both the Bowens are gone. David because his contract doesn't match his productivity and Tim because he is up there in years and cannot be counted on for a full season any longer. Zgonina is also a goner which is too bad because he plays hard but just does not have the size to make it work. Chester will be interesting to see if Saban thinks he can be the versatile 3-4 and 4-3 DT he needs him to be. Aside from Taylor, Carter, and Holliday I think you will be looking at a D-line filled with rookies and very young players. Jason Taylor will need a big year and show some promise as a 3-4 OLB as well as a 4-3 end to make Saban keep him. But I could also see that if Jason does do well, he would be trade bait as well.

Mfinsrule said:
I agree, both the Bowens are gone. David because his contract doesn't match his productivity and Tim because he is up there in years and cannot be counted on for a full season any longer. Zgonina is also a goner which is too bad because he plays hard but just does not have the size to make it work. Chester will be interesting to see if Saban thinks he can be the versatile 3-4 and 4-3 DT he needs him to be. Aside from Taylor, Carter, and Holliday I think you will be looking at a D-line filled with rookies and very young players. Jason Taylor will need a big year and show some promise as a 3-4 OLB as well as a 4-3 end to make Saban keep him. But I could also see that if Jason does do well, he would be trade bait as well.

Yes...I agree with your coments about J. Taylor. Too bad...he's one of my favorite Fins currently. I also feel that at the end of this season...depending on how our rookie LB's play and how our young LB's play...Z. Thomas may also be a gone. Too bad...I envisioned Z. Thomas, J. Taylor, S. Madison and P. Surtain on the podium hoisting the Lombardi Trophy together...part of that equation is already missing..."Certain" is gone. The backbone of this team has been our defense for sometime now...the players on our defense have carried this team and have been a solid unit...now I have come to realize that some of our Pro Bowl D players are getting older and maybe let go soon rather than later by the new regime. That's why these players have been saying for the last 3 or so years...the window of opportunity is closing on us fast...it sucks but that's reality.

Go Fins!!!

TimBo restructured his contract right.... therefore I dont think he is gone.

DBo however declined to restructure and I dont think you wanna pay a backup DE over a million. I dont care if he can play OLB as some people claim.... when has he played that in the NFL? We have good backups at LB, thats not a valid reason to keep DBo and his contract.

MikeO said:
Never have enough D-linemen. Especially in a place like Miami where "HEAT" is a factor and wanting a fresh body on the field at all possible times

This is a very good point, if we are able to rotate players on the DL, in the 4th quarter we are going to destroy OLs. This is th ebiggest problem we have seen in the past few years, everyone thinks that our defense chokes its more like suffer from exhaustion. Now we will have fresh bodies that we can plug in there and wear out those exhausted OL.

The only way I see Bowens getting cut is if he doesn't fit into Saban's system. Other than that, he will be one of our top 4,5, or 6 DL IMO.

SpeedRush99 said:
I'd rather see Seau play one of the inside LB positions in the 3-4 formation. He doesn't have the speed that Crowder, Roth, Taylor, and even Moore has.

you dont need as much speed on the outside in a 3-4... thats why the big boys sit there cause they are generally larger/slower... and moore would be too small id think for a 3-4 OLB...

David Bowens won't start, but he is a player that I've heard they want to give a contract extension to. He was asked to take a pay cut earlier, and they didn't release him when he refused.

KB21 said:
I believe he will be a starter. He didn't do well in Kansas City because they tried to make him a pass rusher. In Miami, he will be playing the 5 technique on the outside and the 3 technique on the inside. This fits his style better, as his primary objective will be to close down the outside run.

Here is what I think we will have for a DL depth chart:

LE - Vonnie Holliday, Matt Roth
LT - Larry Chester, Tim Bowens, Mario Monds
RT - Kevin Carter, Vonnie Holliday, Kevin Vickerson
RE - Jason Taylor, David Bowens, Van Brown (I think this guy may sneak onto the team)

Where is Jeff Z ?

Back
Top Bottom