With Potential Cancellation of NCAA Season, Supplemental Draft Could Become Loaded | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With Potential Cancellation of NCAA Season, Supplemental Draft Could Become Loaded

miamirw

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If the NCAA season is in fact cancelled, supplemental draft will be loaded.

While I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick, I would spend one of our 2nd round picks on one of two Alabama players.

Najee Harris - Heck I wanted this guy in the first round THIS year but he chose to come back to the Crimson Tide. He is perfect back IMO.

Davante Smith - He would fit in nicely in our receiver room.

If the NCAA season is in fact cancelled, supplemental draft will be loaded.

While I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick, I would spend one of our 2nd round picks on one of two Alabama players.

Najee Harris - Heck I wanted this guy in the first round THIS year but he chose to come back to the Crimson Tide. He is perfect back IMO.

Davante Smith - He would fit in nicely in our receiver room.
I thought the NFL said they would not be doing a supplemental draft or only have a limited one.

For those who may be unaware of how it works.......

I could definitely see players choosing this option where applicable. With our record last season, we would be in the top tier. We also, obviously, have picks to spare. Pass rusher? RB? Long snapper??????.....lol

The people with the power are bazillionaires. If it’s good for revenue they’ll do it.
I don't disagree but a supplemental draft doesn't draw viewership. If a bunch of players enter the supplemental draft that would otherwise have entered next year's draft what does that do to viewership of the next watered-down draft?

The reports have been that COVID-19 will not be a reason to declare for the supplemental.

According to this recent article, that is not the case.

Did you read the article? This is what I was saying...it's going to be limited and not expanded because of COVID-19.

"What that means is, only players typical"ly eligible for the supplemental draft will be allowed to enter it this year. Other (normal) draft-eligible players won't be granted special access due to COVID-19.

Therefore, players who could've entered the 2020 Draft but decided to return to school like Clemson running back Travis Etienne, Alabama linebacker Dylan Moses, Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard, and Ohio State defensive back Shaun Wade will reportedly not be eligible for this year's supplemental draft."

The nfl already said they aren’t letting anymore players in then usual

The current situation with pro sports would suggest that $$$ isn't always everything.

And last time I checked football doesn't even start until September. States are already reopening up and it's not even June yet. If baseball and basketball come back over the summer there is no way football won't start on time.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen. Rodger Goodell already said the NFL isn't going to change the rules of eligibility for the supplemental draft. Under the current rules, Non of the big name players are eligible to entry.

Did you read the article? This is what I was saying...it's going to be limited and not expanded because of COVID-19.

"What that means is, only players typical"ly eligible for the supplemental draft will be allowed to enter it this year. Other (normal) draft-eligible players won't be granted special access due to COVID-19.

Therefore, players who could've entered the 2020 Draft but decided to return to school like Clemson running back Travis Etienne, Alabama linebacker Dylan Moses, Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard, and Ohio State defensive back Shaun Wade will reportedly not be eligible for this year's supplemental draft."
Who said anything about expanded?

It will be the same as always. I don't consider that limited.

I may have taken "limited" out of the context in which you meant it.

The NFL aren't going to change the rules to allow more kids into the Supplemental Draft but that doesn't mean players can't game the system.

All a senior like WR Devonta Smith would have to do is get himself declared ineligible for 2020 by violating any number of the tyrannical NCAA rules out there. At that point he could file with the NFL for eligibility for the Supplemental Draft and his case will be reviewed as he'd meet the criteria.

The criteria are to be:

1) At least 3 years removed from high school.
2) Declared ineligible for the upcoming season AFTER the deadline to enter the regular Draft.
3) On your final year of college eligibility.

So go film a television commercial, cash your check, send a copy to the NCAA, get ruled ineligible, and file with the NFL. Voila.

I suppose the NFL could try and be hard-asses about it all, since they review all Supplemental Draft entries on a case-by-case basis, deciding they think the kid did it on purpose and therefore no dice.

But if I'm the kid in question, right now I'm starting to balance risk and reward for even playing the upcoming season at all. Is it worth it?

Is it worth the risk you get COVID-19 and/or that you pass it on to people? Is it worth it to risk injury in order to play a truncated season of college football against a limited schedule? Will that help your draft standing all that much, compared to just sitting out the season, working out, and training for the NFL a year early a la Leonard Fournette?

If you come out believing that it's not even worth it to play in 2020 under likely conditions...then there's no risk to getting yourself ruled ineligible on purpose. There's only the potential reward of early entry into the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom