"With the 20th pick in the 2004 Draft... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"With the 20th pick in the 2004 Draft...

LdoubleE80

Starter
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins select.....

Lee Evans, Wide Receiver, University of Wisconsin...

The New England Patriots are on the clock"

That's my call. Andrews is gone, someone takes Clayton, and we're left with the 3rd best WR in the draft. Good deal. Whoever said Evans is just "a speed guy" obviously didn't see him play. I'll chalk that comment up to looking at a 40 time and making a silly assumption.

Evans 3rd best? Let's see Fitz, Roy Williams, Clayton, Reggie Williams ....

IMO Andrews & Evans will be gone already. As I've said in earlier posts, I'd pass on Andrews anyways.

Clayton & Evans are moving up fast so if Reggie drops, he, Woods or Jenkins will be the receivers available.

OG Vernon Carey - University Of Miami

Andrews will be gone. Carey and Smiley are still there. Carey can play OG and OT which makes him the better "value" choice. Plus, he's a Hurricane!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!! :D

BLITZKRIEG said:
OG Vernon Carey - University Of Miami

Andrews will be gone. Carey and Smiley are still there. Carey can play OG and OT which makes him the better "value" choice. Plus, he's a Hurricane!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!! :D

BLITZ ... Carey at #20? No way....read:

UM Bandwagon...enough already!

Last edited by a moderator:
gearhead said:
BLITZ ... Carey at #20? No way....read:

UM Bandwagon...enough already!

What happnes if we trade down???...

We miss out on Carey / Smiley / and Snee. The top shelf OLman in the 2004 draft. It's as simple as that IMO. Either draft one of them and fix the OL, or pass on all of them, and deal with another year of mediocrity on the OL....

It's a simple decision IMO. Who care where any player is projected to be drafted. I dont', I just want the best OLman we can get our hands on. Value will come later, once the OL is opening holes for Ricky, and our QB is having the time needed to pick apart opposing defenses....

That's my take.

OL OR BUST!!!

PHINZ RULE!!! :evil:

I wish we could trade down and get a late 1st round pick and an early 2nd and pick the two best O-linemen available.

DJ Williams, LB, Miami

We draft BPA

Andrews and Vilma are gone. DJ is next on Rick's board, plus DJ is the kinda guy that Dave loves.

I really don't want to take a Linebacker in the 1st round. I think that's crazy. Unless there's a HUGE hole on your team at LB, like the Colts, it doesn't make sense. D-Line and D-Back is where we go if we go defense.

I would argue that DJ is not the kinda guy Dave should love in our scheme. DJ is a machine with great numbers, but he lacks the instincts to play in our system. He can get by without instincts at the college level because he can cover so much ground with his speed, but at the NFL level he's going to need some coaching (and I'm not of the opinion that you can coach instincts). Vilma is a much better fit for us - smart, savvy, and a mental playmaker. His reaction time is much faster than Williams, even though he's slower. If they both get to the same spot at the same time, I'd take the guy who got there on brains and not brawn (but I think Vilma's tackle record speaks for itself on this issue). Give him a year of the NFL weight rooms and he'll be a powerhouse.

BLITZKRIEG said:
What happnes if we trade down???...

Blitz, you're right .... its definitely a risk but I believe we can trade down & still get Carey, Smiley or Snee as long as we don't drop too far. Even so, there is OL value farther down on Butler, Rogers, Dorsey.

I think Clayton will still be on the board, so that is who I'm going with.

If he, Andrews, and Evans are gone, I see a trade down. If that can't happen, I see a DT. I'm just not sure which ones will be available and which one I would prefer even if I did know.

Spielman would have to make a real tough decision to pick a LB with the 20th pick considering with our 1st pick last year Wannstedt chose a LB, and Eddie Moore hasn't even seen any playing time yet. This would be inspite of the fact that the biggest question marks are with the OL and almost all of the starting OL is gone from last year. Of course they may go with the best available player and who knows???

Vilma will probably be gone. If he was there, that might lead them to consider it. Williams isn't what we need.

Back
Top Bottom