Woodley, Posluzsny, or Willis? Analysis | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Woodley, Posluzsny, or Willis? Analysis

i think its better to settle our OLB need in the FA's....Adelius Thomas, Cato June, and Lance Briggs are all available...we gotta take one of them. I dont think now is the time to find Zach Thomas's successor...id wait another 2 years. We really dont need DE help, or even DT help. But i wouldnt be upset if we chose a big NT with our first pick.....i think our first pick should be a fast, shutdown CB or even an OG.

MustangFinFan said:
i think its better to settle our OLB need in the FA's....Adelius Thomas, Cato June, and Lance Briggs are all available...we gotta take one of them. I dont think now is the time to find Zach Thomas's successor...id wait another 2 years. We really dont need DE help, or even DT help. But i wouldnt be upset if we chose a big NT with our first pick.....i think our first pick should be a fast, shutdown CB or even an OG.

I have to believe that all of those guys will bring several suitors, including their respective teams. Since every one of those guys are staples in their D, one would have to believe they would likely resign especially since their teams are legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

Saban has been quoted as saying, "Build through the draft". Drafting a LB now gives time for grooming. LB is a position that needs upgrading because of its great importance in this system. Look at all of the good defenses in the league right now and relate the importance of the LBs to their success.

I am not satisfied with the future of the LB corps. Zach has maybe two more good years. Do you wait until Zach retires or gets injured again? Zach, whether or not we want to admit it, has been injury prone in the last few years. He has lost weight. He has lost AT LEAST a step. His tackling, though still very good, has not been the same. Miami needs to get younger at LB. Drafting a stud LB (Patrick Willis) that has been compared to Ray Lewis cannot be a bad thing. It is not replacing, it is investing. Zach's days are numbered, no matter how we look at it. It is inevitable. I LOVE him just like everyone else, but we have to face reality.

Drafting an OL takes back seat to LB. Houck has made differences, and if you have a QB that has decent pocket awareness (Gus Frerotte and Joey Harrington), the sack totals will decline. CB? Please! Kansas City has arguably the best CB tandem in the league and they suck! DT? I can see that, but let's not miss out on a stud LB. Miami should not sit on this if they have a shot....

MustangFinFan said:

id rather sign an OG via free agency like steinbach or manuwi and make an attempt at Briggs or Thomas at OLB

but LB doesnt have to be drafted in the 1st round...all we need are backups to groom

we can move crowder to SLB and bring in the playmaking pope at WLB...i believe that pope is the LBs version of yeremiah bell...:wink:

and groom 3rd and 4th round pick LBs behind them...but we definitely need to draft a few LBs, just not one in the 1st round...

that should be left for either LT, NT, or WR...we can always draft a CB in the 2nd round for depth and competition's sake...we have legitimate starters in allen, goodman, daniels, and even poole or mitchell may be in the mix...not to mention jason allen could be in the mix as well...with hill playing lights out at FS...

colmax said:
I have to believe that all of those guys will bring several suitors, including their respective teams. Since every one of those guys are staples in their D, one would have to believe they would likely resign especially since their teams are legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

Saban has been quoted as saying, "Build through the draft". Drafting a LB now gives time for grooming. LB is a position that needs upgrading because of its great importance in this system. Look at all of the good defenses in the league right now and relate the importance of the LBs to their success.

I am not satisfied with the future of the LB corps. Zach has maybe two more good years. Do you wait until Zach retires or gets injured again? Zach, whether or not we want to admit it, has been injury prone in the last few years. He has lost weight. He has lost AT LEAST a step. His tackling, though still very good, has not been the same. Miami needs to get younger at LB. Drafting a stud LB (Patrick Willis) that has been compared to Ray Lewis cannot be a bad thing. It is not replacing, it is investing. Zach's days are numbered, no matter how we look at it. It is inevitable. I LOVE him just like everyone else, but we have to face reality.

Drafting an OL takes back seat to LB. Houck has made differences, and if you have a QB that has decent pocket awareness (Gus Frerotte and Joey Harrington), the sack totals will decline. CB? Please! Kansas City has arguably the best CB tandem in the league and they suck! DT? I can see that, but let's not miss out on a stud LB. Miami should not sit on this if they have a shot....

you do make a good point about these players' respective teams re-signing them...

colmax said:
With Miami likely bidding for a middle-of-the pack spot in the 1st, these are the guys who most have their eyes on as being Miami's pick. I'm going to attempt at a non-biased analysis of all 3:

1. LaMarr Woodley, DE Michigan 6'2"/274
Positives:
- Sure tackler and an awesome pass rusher. Once he's got someone in his grasp, the opposing player goes down quickly. Attacks the line hard. Has good game speed but will not enamor with great speed. Sheds O-linemen seemingly with ease. Plays HUGE in big games. Intense. Very strong.

Negatives:
- Weight can be an issue. Somewhat slow with 4.75 speed. Seems to tire at times. Quicker players can elude him with no issue. Can overpersue plays which takes him out of the picture completely. Lacks good lower body balance. Not good height for traditional rush-DE.

2. Paul Posluzsny, LB Penn State 6'2"/243
Positives:
- Very good speed. Smart LB (3.5 gpa) who understands his position. Has knack for being in the right place at the right time. A savage when it comes to being the first tackler. NEVER gives up on a play (see game vs. Illinois). Very good in pass coverage with 3 ints this year. A fan favorite in Penn State. A blue-collar type player. Aggressive in every aspect of the game.

Negatives:
- Holds on to tackles, but with poor technique in that he does not burst from the hips, which makes him susceptible to being run over. Although first to meet opponent with ball, needs help taking down players. Had knee injury vs. Florida State. Does not have good hip swivel in change of direction. Can be blocked. Possibly overhyped.

3. Patrick Willis, LB Ole Miss 6'2"/235
Positives:
- VERY fast game speed. As with the others, a sure tackler. Makes plays that seemingly would be impossible because of his speed. Big hitter that shoots from the hip. Can cover, but made to make plays otherwise because of scheme. Is everywhere on the field (sideline to sideline player). Players move backward when hit by Willis. Has a motor that never stops. Change of direction unmatched. Great leader on and off the field. Takes good angles.

Negatives:
- Has had several nagging injuries in 2005, including a hand injury that had him wear a clubbed cast for part of the season. A bit on the lighter side for an ILB. Could build more upper body mass. Underexposed because of where he plays. Injuries in Jr. season could be an issue.

All-in-all, this is what I came up with on all of the guys. From my posting earlier in this forum, I am obviously a Patrick Willis supporter. Though, in all honesty, I would take any one of these players anyday.

All are obviously playmakers. My concerns for Woodley are his weight and height. Depends on the system he is in. Plays a "rush-LB" position at Michigan. His speed is not something to write home to mom about. For Posluzsny, his poor tackling technique raises a concern. He is always around the ball, but does not have push-back when tackling which could get him hurt in NFL. Needs help with tackles. Willis could have injury concerns but was injury-free in '06. But because of the frequency of them in '05 (although nagging), will raise eyebrows. Has played through those injuries. Pretty tough guy.

From first read, I think your analysis are somewhat outdated.
Woodley has lost about 20 Lbs and his play this year has improved dramatically. I don't think 4.75 is somewhat slow for how he could be used because of an OLB/DE in SD that runs about the same speed. :wink:

Posluszny has played both ILB and OLB at Penn State and that can only help him at the next level. He may not have the best tackling technique but he doesn't miss very many tackles.

Willis maybe a little smallish for an ILB but then again so is Zach Thomas and look at the career he has had in Miami. Willis is a fast and intelligent tackling machine. His only knock may be his pass coverage because he has not been asked to do that very much.

Geforce said:
From first read, I think your analysis are somewhat outdated.
Woodley has lost about 20 Lbs and his play this year has improved dramatically. I don't think 4.75 is somewhat slow for how he could be used because of an OLB/DE in SD that runs about the same speed. :wink:

Posluszny has played both ILB and OLB at Penn State and that can only help him at the next level. He may not have the best tackling technique but he doesn't miss very many tackles.

Willis maybe a little smallish for an ILB but then again so is Zach Thomas and look at the career he has had in Miami. Willis is a fast and intelligent tackling machine. His only knock may be his pass coverage because he has not been asked to do that very much.

So, you're just letting me know that Woodley lost weight and everything else is basically just repeating what is in my analysis?

colmax said:
So, you're just letting me know that Woodley lost weight and everything else is basically just repeating what is in my analysis?
As I said, from my FIRST read your analysis was somewhat outdated. Yes Woodley lost a significantly amount of weight that has allowed him almost completely eliminate those negatives you stated. As far as Posluzsny needing help tackling, I have seen no evidence of that this year and Patrick Willis has shown no effect of the nagging injuries that plagued him in 2005. This is what I meant by your analysis being somewhat outdated. From what I can tell, your analysis was based on the individuals preseason or the end of last season performance.

Geforce said:
As I said, from my FIRST read your analysis was somewhat outdated. Yes Woodley lost a significantly amount of weight that has allowed him almost completely eliminate those negatives you stated. As far as Posluzsny needing help tackling, I have seen no evidence of that this year and Patrick Willis has shown no effect of the nagging injuries that plagued him in 2005. This is what I meant by your analysis being somewhat outdated. From what I can tell, your analysis was based on the individuals preseason or the end of last season performance.

I have had limited access to Woodley highlights. I admit that I did not know that he lost weight. From what I have seen on tv, everything is pretty accurate.

I HAVE seen several Posluzsny games, and YES, he does not shoot from the hips when tackling. He goes head up, and I would venture to say that several times during any particular game, he holds on to the offensive player but does not get that push. It is not that he lacks the skills to tackle, but there are times where he needs help. I have seen it enough in the games I have watched to deem it worthy to post.

As for Willis, I am a student at Ole Miss. I have watched him since he has been here. My analysis of him is more accurate than some draft sites, IMO. IF you pan down at the conclusion, I clearly point out that Willis has had no ill-effects from his 2005 injuries BUT that this could cause some concern for those looking to consider him during the draft.

Willis is the better of the three but I'd wait until the 2nd round to go OLB and than get Earl Everett. the 1st round can be BPA, probably a offensive tackle

Back
Top Bottom