World Cup Soccer draw on ESPN2 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

World Cup Soccer draw on ESPN2

Surprised by how you guys don't rate us a little higher. On paper, we're there with any team in the world.

Great draw for both England and the US. The opening game SHOULD decide the group winners. Silly thing to say but the group winner will have to get through two of France, Spain, Holland or Brazil. Yowzer. Good luck with that.

Surprised by how you guys don't rate us a little higher. On paper, we're there with any team in the world.

Great draw for both England and the US. The opening game SHOULD decide the group winners. Silly thing to say but the group winner will have to get through two of France, Spain, Holland or Brazil. Yowzer. Good luck with that.

because england disappoints almost every world cup. i have always rooted for them (besides the usa) because they are elite and id rather see them win then the french or brazil. but every world cup they play like crap.

Because the media always build you up to the point that you are massively over-rated and when you do go out, you get all the sack the manager crap. Thats not a snipe at England, its more at Sky and the tabloids.

In saying that, you guys were far more impressive in qualifying than in previous campaigns under Capello. You should easily top that group and after that who knows. The US are still riding high after their great Confederations Cup, but the World Cup is a totally different animal and they may overlook Slovenia and Algeria.

Because the media always build you up to the point that you are massively over-rated and when you do go out, you get all the sack the manager crap. Thats not a snipe at England, its more at Sky and the tabloids.

In saying that, you guys were far more impressive in qualifying than in previous campaigns under Capello. You should easily top that group and after that who knows. The US are still riding high after their great Confederations Cup, but the World Cup is a totally different animal and they may overlook Slovenia and Algeria.

Great points.

Every single year, we flatter to deceive in qualifying and limp into the finals, if at all, sometimes via the playoffs, sometimes edging through via a group win. Every year, the team is picked around the star players and how to utilise them. Every year, we COULD win the damn thing but go out to a decent team on penalties. Saying we play like crap is a little harsh, we may never have reached our potential but neither have we ever been dominated or even beaten fairly and squarely.

Capello has changed that a bit. He'll pick the team to win each game. And he knows how to win each game. I can't imagine we'll get passed the quarters but... you never know.

Emarald, it must hurt more now you've seen that draw for France. Could've won that group. It 's a disgrace really.

As for the US, I jest earlier. I really like Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore can do a job. One player I always liked that doesn't seem to play for the national team any more is Taylor Twellman. What happened to him?

Great points.

Every single year, we flatter to deceive in qualifying and limp into the finals, if at all, sometimes via the playoffs, sometimes edging through via a group win. Every year, the team is picked around the star players and how to utilise them. Every year, we COULD win the damn thing but go out to a decent team on penalties. Saying we play like crap is a little harsh, we may never have reached our potential but neither have we ever been dominated or even beaten fairly and squarely.

Capello has changed that a bit. He'll pick the team to win each game. And he knows how to win each game. I can't imagine we'll get passed the quarters but... you never know.

Emarald, it must hurt more now you've seen that draw for France. Could've won that group. It 's a disgrace really.

As for the US, I jest earlier. I really like Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore can do a job. One player I always liked that doesn't seem to play for the national team any more is Taylor Twellman. What happened to him?

I think you guys now stand a very good chance of going far in this WC. England haven't had a manager as good as Capello since Sir Bobby and he took you to a semi-finals. I think Cappelo is the guy that can take you all the way, because if you look at England under Sven, he never got the best out of very good players, while under Capello, you guys cruised through a very tough qualifying group.

As I said already, this English side is a much different one to those seen under McClaren and Sven. No-one will want to play England.

The draw France got hurts, but it hurt just seeing them in the draw anyway. Ireland have to move on though and try build on the fantastic job Trap has done for us so far.

I am my happy that my Argentina finally gets a decent group. In past World Cups we have always had the bad luck of ending up in the death groups...and since under Maradona we are playing like **** we need all the help we can get. I am confident that Argentina will at least make to the round of 16.

Great points.

Twellman's had a couple injuries that have kept him out for most of the last 2 seasons. I remember him messing his neck up bad last year, and also getting a pretty bad concussion.

Just a random thought but how far does the US have to advance for this WC to be considered a success?

Just a random thought but how far does the US have to advance for this WC to be considered a success?

Anytime the United States can make it out of the group stage . . . IMO, that is a victory. The group is favorable for the US to advance, so unlike 2006 where we weren't expected to advance . . . this is a group where we ARE expected to advance, so it definitely would be a dissappointment not to.

Taking an early look, if we can make it out of Group C . . . we will face the teams of group D, which is the German group. The Germans aren't as strong, but always play well in the WC. The other 3 teams are solid, but not anybody we cant beat.

I think the United States really needs to win the Sweet 16 match for the WC to be a success.

Looking way far ahead . . . we would have to face people out of Group A and B in the Quarterfinals . . . and we can hang with those teams also. So even the Semi's isn't out of the question.

So here we go:

Disappointement - Fail to make out of group stage
Expectations - Round of 16 loss
Success - Spot in the Quarterfinals
Best Potential - Spot in the Semifinals
Unexpected - Spot in the Title Game
Unrealistic (but anything is possible) - 2010 WC Champions

Prediction - I expect them to make atleast the Quarterfinals (final eight teams). Definitely not out of the question.

Also, this honestly could NOT be a better draw for the States IMO.

EXTREMELY marketable as this game I feel will have a HUGE HUGE surrounding and following . . . even in the States. Donovan vs. Beckham potential . . . best match of the first games.

Then u get 2 teams, that u should be favored against and that u should beat.

Man I wish I had the cash, I went to Germany for the WC in 2006 . . . unfortunately I don't think I'm going to make this one.

Back
Top Bottom