Worldcup Soccer: 2010 in Germany or USA? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worldcup Soccer: 2010 in Germany or USA?

phins_4_ever

E12 FH Tailgate Gang
Reaction score
I scanned a few articles today (in german) and came along some articles on the 2010 Cup. FIFA is of course painting every as sunny in South Africa but the guarantee that the cup is played there are more shacky than ever.

According to some articles South Africa is behind 1 billion dollars just for stadium reconstruction and new construction. Modernizing the old stadiums have not yet begun and none of the new stadiums are nearly half complete. No money. Further more the rebuilding of the infrastructure is non existent. Most places have no public transportation to and from the stadiums and to marginally make them acceptable approx 1.5 billion dollars is needed.

According to some of the newspapers FIFA has a back up plan in the drawers which would list Germany and the USA as the only countries capable of hosting the cup on short notice.

FFiB said:
According to some of the newspapers FIFA has a back up plan in the drawers which would list Germany and the USA as the only countries capable of hosting the cup on short notice.

Either of those would certainly be more convenient for travelers. However, I am unaware of the politics involved in selecting the WC location.
~~Holli

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Team USA in the FLorida region? Playing games at Dolphin Stadium?

Oh Jesus...PLEASE make this happen!

Section126 said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Team USA in the FLorida region? Playing games at Dolphin Stadium?

Oh Jesus...PLEASE make this happen!

:lol: The Just-Dolphin Fans would complain about the field...

But how nice would that be?! I'd love to go watch a game, but they wouldn't do it in Miami....too multicultural to make most of the stadium Pro-US. They would probably play in Foxboro etc.

Also...If they do not do it in South Africa..do it in the US. Not Germany again. Nothing against Germany, but mix it up...I don't want to see the WC be held in the same place twice in a row.

It would be pretty cool to have it in the USA again I guess. I like the idea of South Africa though.

Prime Time said:
:lol: The Just-Dolphin Fans would complain about the field...

But how nice would that be?! I'd love to go watch a game, but they wouldn't do it in Miami....too multicultural to make most of the stadium Pro-US. They would probably play in Foxboro etc.

Also...If they do not do it in South Africa..do it in the US. Not Germany again. Nothing against Germany, but mix it up...I don't want to see the WC be held in the same place twice in a row.

They played in Pasadena in 94. Doesnt get more multicultural then Los Angeles. I went to that game and there were tons of US fans. If they dont do it in africa I think it will come to the US. For the last 12yrs its been on the eastern hemisphere.

FFiB said:
I scanned a few articles today (in german) and came along some articles on the 2010 Cup. FIFA is of course painting every as sunny in South Africa but the guarantee that the cup is played there are more shacky than ever.

According to some articles South Africa is behind 1 billion dollars just for stadium reconstruction and new construction. Modernizing the old stadiums have not yet begun and none of the new stadiums are nearly half complete. No money. Further more the rebuilding of the infrastructure is non existent. Most places have no public transportation to and from the stadiums and to marginally make them acceptable approx 1.5 billion dollars is needed.

i dont think they would do back to back in germany, so i think it would be the US.

And it would be easier for me to go to a WC game :D

guatemalanfan said:
i dont think they would do back to back in germany, so i think it would be the US.

And it would be easier for me to go to a WC game :D

I'd imagine there'd be a reason why they have Germany in that list of back-ups. Being that the US would probably have not as much time to prepare as 94, it may be difficult with Baseball season and football season looming, so getting easy stadium/TV rights whatever may be more difficult. Also, they know Germany would have had relatively recent stadium upgrades and have World Cup calibre acessability etc.

HysterikiLL said:
I'd imagine there'd be a reason why they have Germany in that list of back-ups. Being that the US would probably have not as much time to prepare as 94, it may be difficult with Baseball season and football season looming, so getting easy stadium/TV rights whatever may be more difficult. Also, they know Germany would have had relatively recent stadium upgrades and have World Cup calibre acessability etc.

What stadium problems would the US have?

THE WC never interferes with the NFL season.

As for florida games...you have the Gator Bowl sitting there...where the Bucs play...and of course the Orange Bowl that can be fixed up for a WC in 4 years.

There is always a backup plan in case some major bad **** happens - i think England was the backup for Germany but not 100% on that.

TBH I cant see this going ahead in SA , far too much to be done that shouldve been done already. Rumours are it may go to Egypt (to keep it in Africa) as they have some decent stadiums and could get the rest done fairly quickly.

If SA cant hold it and Egypt cant get ready in time then id be all for it going to the US , 1994 was a good WC and I would hope soccer has gained a wee bit more popularity since then and having another WC so soon after would be a good thing for the games development.

I believe FIFAs long term plan is to have the WC rotating through all the main federations with Europe having an extra WC compared to the rest due to the number of places it gets at the WC for historic reasons. Whether the corrupt *******s can make that happen is a different matter entirely

I don't think the South Africa World Cup will get moved. Remember all the horror stories we heard about the Greece Olympics? They went off on time.

I also don't think FIFA will ALLOW the World Cup in South Africa to go into the crapper.

And IF it did get moved I don't see the U.S. getting it...just my opinion. They'll head back to Europe.

I don't think the US is a backup they will use.

I think there are three factors that definately favor the US though:

Soccer is a growing sport.
The US has a lot of experience with big events.
It's been more than a decade since it was hosted there.

When I say that I don't think it will happen, I think say so because the fans might not be prepared. I think you'll want to give fans a lot of time to prepare, and for sports fans around the world, tickets to the US is something you'll want in advance. If you put it in Germany for example (which I think is a bad choice given that they've just hosted one), you have a very large group of fans (maybe only rivaled by South America), that can buy tickets/trips on rather short notice.

Back
Top Bottom