Worldcup Soccer: 2010 in Germany or USA? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worldcup Soccer: 2010 in Germany or USA?

touborg said:
I don't think the US is a backup they will use.

I think there are three factors that definately favor the US though:

Soccer is a growing sport.
The US has a lot of experience with big events.
It's been more than a decade since it was hosted there.

When I say that I don't think it will happen, I think say so because the fans might not be prepared. I think you'll want to give fans a lot of time to prepare, and for sports fans around the world, tickets to the US is something you'll want in advance. If you put it in Germany for example (which I think is a bad choice given that they've just hosted one), you have a very large group of fans (maybe only rivaled by South America), that can buy tickets/trips on rather short notice.

Tickets will be the least problem. The initial lottery does not start until the qualifications are completed which is about 6 to 8 months before the worldcup. You can register before (thgough I don't know what the earliest date is) but you can always transfer a database.

Can someone post some links for these articles talking about the problems South Africa is having with the World Cup? English-language articles would be preferred, thanks. :)

Please, please, PLEASE let this come to pass. South Africa was an awful choice to begin with, and FIFA should have known better than to ram that choice down the throats of the delegations. "Let's see, subpar infrastructure, no stadiums, the second highest murder rate in the world...hey, let's send a bunch of wealthy international travelers there to see a sporting event where emotions run extremely high!" Great plan, Sepp.

That said, whoever noted the Greece Olympics was dead-on. When something like this is on the line, you'll see the people in charge start kicking *** and taking names to get the job done on time.

Back
Top Bottom