Worried about Brees | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worried about Brees

pdonavant

Scout Team
Reaction score
I was all for drafting Drew Brees when we had the chance. The thing I am worried about now that there is talk of us possibly signing him is that he is recovering from an injury similiar to that of Chad Pennington. From what I have seen Chad has never really recovered from that injury. Does anyone feel the same way?

there was actually a thread about this already...it said something like brees has a torn labrum which is far less serious than a torn rotator cuff, pennington's injury

Is a torn labrum the same as a torn rotator cuff? I forget my anatomy.

RW

True, but Pennington tore his rotator Cuff, twice. I think he is a special exception. If you recall, Fiedler hurt his rotator cuff and made a full recovery. Maybe Pennington did exceptional damage. Zach Thomas did play with a Torn Labrum, the same injury as Drew Brees. I dont see it as a huge issue.

The guy is from PU...but he is no Bob Griese. He took us lightly when we came to play them. Don't need that attitude. I vote no.

The injuries are nowhere near the same

Brees is even recovering 4 months ahead of what was originally thought, and no doctors have any doubts he will be ok from what ive read

Why Worry? Regardless of the differences in the injury types, don't you think Saban and the medical staff would be able to make the right decision one way or the other?

Keep in mind, Saban and Co will have it checked out from head to toe. This isnt wannstache anymore.

Thanks for the feedback. I really wasn't sure the extent of his injury. It was just a concern about how easy it would be to mess his shoulder up again now that it has been injured once before.

RichmondWeb said:

RW
No, it's not the same. Rotator cuff is FAR more serious than a torn labrum. Torn labrum isn't very serious, 90% of people recover from it pretty quickly, and most come back feeling good again.

My friend had a torn labrum and after surgery, it recovered pretty quickly. By 8 weeks, he started to get a feel for his arm again and started to practice his free throw shots again.

I think Rich Gannon had a torn labrum as well, and then the next season, he threw for like 4700 passing yards or somewhere around the 4000+'s? Correct me if im wrong, anyone.

Got nothing to worry about. Drew Brees is tough, and will have the best doctors to help him out.

AllianceCollect said:
Why Worry? Regardless of the differences in the injury types, don't you think Saban and the medical staff would be able to make the right decision one way or the other?

:yeahthat:

tbraker said:
The guy is from PU...but he is no Bob Griese. He took us lightly when we came to play them. Don't need that attitude. I vote no.

Sorry but HE didnt take us lightly...the team did. And that is a coaching issue not a player one. I dont think you can ask for a much better attitude that what Brees has.

RichmondWeb said:

RW

??????? Uh, no !!!! The labrum is mostly cartlidge and the cuff is muscle and tendons.

This should scare the crap out of Dolphin fans.

"Two separate injuries occur to the shoulder area – a torn labrum and a torn rotator cuff. Tears in the labrum are much more serious than rotator cuff tears, due to the nature of the anatomical parts themselves. "

"When the muscles tear in the rotator cuff, typically in the supraspinatus, the area needs to be surgically repaired. The same is true in the case of a torn labrum, but two crucial factors make the labrum injury a career-threatening endeavor, while those who have undergone rotator cuff surgery have a much greater track record of recovery and post-operative success. "

"Why is the rotator cuff much more likely to heal properly than the labrum?

Muscles can be strengthened, even beyond their original levels, both surgically and naturally with proper rehabilitation and rest. The labrum is not made up of muscles, and the collagens that make up the labrum are unable to be strengthened, surgically, nor naturally. The only hope is that the natural healing process is effective enough and fast enough for the pitcher to return to action within two or three calendar years. The surgery cleans the labrum and reattaches the torn areas to their opposing connection. "

"The labrum provides the shoulder with shock absorption and is an important part of its overall connective structure. When it tears, the strength in the shoulder is reduced greatly, "

http://mariners.scout.com/2/422181.html

Back
Top Bottom