Worst LB in football? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worst LB in football?

If I was playing alongside bums like Paysinger and Jenkins I'd probably rack up tackles too.

Tackles can be misleading. Kiko has a nose for the football that not many lbs possess. More specifically he has an ability to make game changing type plays on the football few possess. He also has above average instincts for the position.

What he gave us in 2016 considering he was surrounded by dumpster fire worthy lb play due to attrition primarily is worth a top 50 pick in any class.

Man the way you talk about him one would never believe 2 different teams shipped him away so early in his career.

I'm confused about the Green Bay talk. Why am I not hearing Clay Mathews?

Cause clay Matthews belongs on the edge not as an off the los lb although he's been asked to play off the los due to jack squat in the off the los lb corp before basically took one for the team

Man the way you talk about him one would never believe 2 different teams shipped him away so early in his career.

Pretty sure buffalo shipped him out cause they were changing schemes and his health issues. Philly didnt get the same level range and athlete we got in 2016 and also got the health issues.

Kiko has 3 weaknesses to his game. I'd put them in order as:

Consistency of gap integrity
Ability to carry coverage
Consistency of disengaging from blocks although it needs to be said he knows how to strike/thud a lead blocker with his inside shoulder and keep his outside shoulder free

2 of the 3 can be masked at wolb. It will be interesting to see if the playmaking and plays on the ball he provided at mike carry over kicked outside.

The gap integrity thing in our scheme is a big deal. I won't down play that but better interior on the los play helps mask the oppositions ability to reach the lb level so the getting off blocks thing for my money is overrated with Kiko at least. You can fall forward on contact with Kiko but he's a consistent tackler and he offsets a lot of his issues with his sideline to sideline range and plus instincts separate from his knack for providing plays on the football and he's by and large around the action which indicates his overall feel for the position.

Pretty sure buffalo shipped him out cause they were changing schemes and his health issues. Philly didnt get the same level range and athlete we got in 2016 and also got the health issues.

Consistency of disengaging from blocks although it needs to be said he knows how to strike/thud a lead blocker with his inside shoulder and keep his outside shoulder free

2 of the 3 can be masked at wolb. It will be interesting to see if the playmaking and plays on the ball he provided at mike carry over kicked outside.

Buffalo traded him because Philly gave them a top 5 Rb for a lb coming of an ACL imjury.

In exchange for one of the NFL's best playmakers, Kelly is reunited with the former Oregon star Alonso, who is returning from ACL surgery on the heels of an outstanding rookie season.

As long as Alonso returns to pre-injury form, the Eagles will boast one of the NFL's speediest inside linebacker duos in Alonso and Mychal Kendricks.

If Rex Ryan plans to switch to a 3-4 defense, it's understandable that Alonso was viewed as a luxury with 2014 breakout starters Preston Brownand Nigel Bradham ticketed for inside linebacker.

Good points although I don't see it the same as you in reference to a Will seeing less blocks in our scheme. In an Under front, yes, but not our our Over front. Alonso would still be exposed on the weakside to an assigned blocker just like the other backer positions. He'll still be called on to be a force or contain player and cannot flow freely like a Will would in an Under front. He cannot trade one for one which he is notorious for doing. Do you really see Alonso with the ability to reduce the running lane or compress blocks? I sure don't. Haven't seen it yet.

Even if we are more stout on the d-line they don't trade gaps laterally like other schemes do which allows the LBs to flow over top. It's a downhill scheme where the DL reads pass first and then establishes a new LOS upon seeing run. This will also be something that Timmons must learn to adapt to no matter the spot he is placed.

Last edited:
Tackles are the most overrated defensive statistic. NE's Dont'a Hightower had an excellent year last season yet had a mere 31 tackles. Likewise, Martinez is also a smart and efficient defender. A defense's job is to get the **** off the field, not accumulate tackles. Concerning Alonso, the amount of tackles he had means very little when the majority of them occur 5+ yards downfield vs the run.

His coaching tree and his statements of staying with the same scheme.

What??? lol Tackles are Not an overrated statistic for a LB. That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

What??? lol Tackles are Not an overrated statistic for a LB. That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

Care to explain your point of view or is this just a hollow post with nothing to sustain it?

Tackles are overrated b/c when they are produced in excessive amounts it means the job isn't getting done and the defensive isn't getting off the field. Individual tackle numbers are also overrated b/c they do not indicate it's true impact. Maybe the LB diagnosed the run properly and stopped the RB for a minimal 1-3 yard gain. Or maybe the LB consistently takes bad angles, shows up late to the party, and drags down the ballcarrier to record the tackle stat but still gives up a 5-7 yard gain. The former scenario is a common occurrence for a certain heralded LB around here. I'm pretty sure at this point I don't have to provide Alonso's name to drive the point home.

Care to explain your point of view or is this just a hollow post with nothing to sustain it?

Tackles are overrated b/c when they are produced in excessive amounts it means the job isn't getting done and the defensive isn't getting off the field. Individual tackle numbers are also overrated b/c they do not indicate it's true impact. Maybe the LB diagnosed the run properly and stopped the RB for a minimal 1-3 yard gain. Or maybe the LB consistently takes bad angles, shows up late to the party, and drags down the ballcarrier to record the tackle stat but still gives up a 5-7 yard gain. The former scenario is a common occurrence for a certain heralded LB around here. I'm pretty sure at this point I don't have to provide Alonso's name to drive the point home.

That car your driving ran outta gas a long time ago but please tell us all again, again, and again how you feel about Alonso and while your at it throw in a few snips about your feelings on our defensive scheme oh pretty please

That car your driving ran outta gas a long time ago but please tell us all again, again, and again how you feel about Alonso and while your at it throw in a few snips about your feelings on our defensive scheme oh pretty please

Gas?!

It's Electric!!!

Gentleman please stick to debating the topic and lay off the personal shots

carry on

Only reason they wouldn't would be the back 7 specifically the corner situation was a train wreck in 2016 thus they invested both their top picks in corner types to try and right the ship. Blake Martinez has athletic limitations that will always limit the players impact.

In the late 2nd round after Miami and Houston picked the last 2 worthy lbs that can play early and size wise fit the scheme lb was pretty much picked clean. If you are telling me it's Kiko or those other options I'm taking Kiko although admittedly I'd rather have had another year at the tender before I did any long term extension and in trade teams don't do one year rentals and give up even late 2nd round pick compensation.

Green bays lb situation in 2017 is a massive hole.

I agree, it only makes sense, this was one of my main gripes this offseason, along with the Branch contract. If I was the GM why would I pay Kiko all this money based on his one season here playing with bums like Butler, Paysinger and Jenkins? Being the only linebacker worth anything I would expect him to perform. Another year on the tender to evaluate his play, his fit and his health was the smart move.

This guy could tear his knee again in week 3 *knock on wood* and we'll be looking stupid for rushing into a big money deal with him when his deal wasn't even up.

Oh, perhaps you're right. Maybe you're right, they should just stand by and allow ball carriers, receivers etc to waltz by and stroll to the endzone. If a LB isn't making tackles it's probably because he's being washed out of the play. The high tackle number suggests that the player is in position, made a good read, fought off blocks, and did what was necessary to bring the player down.

Back
Top Bottom