Would Dolphins dare to draft Mallett 15th? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Dolphins dare to draft Mallett 15th?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins fans should be more comfortable than most with the idea of drafting Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett.

Mallett enters the NFL with multiple question marks despite a rifle arm and prolific statistics in a pro-style offense. Drug rumors have been persistent. On the field, he's considered sloth-like in his movements.

All the same was said about Dan Marino. He's in the Pro Football Hall of Fame now, and the Dolphins still are searching for his replacement after a dozen years, an issue we explored Wednesday in a piece about Bill Parcells defending the Dolphins' decision to draft left tackle Jake Long instead of quarterback Matt Ryan in 2008.

Miami Herald writer Barry Jackson wrote about the Dolphins' interest in Mallett and the possibility they would draft him.

The Dolphins might have to take Mallett in a spot many draft experts consider a reach.

But if the Dolphins identify him as their man, then what should projections matter?
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/39249/would-dolphins-dare-to-draft-mallett-15th

take him at 15 **** it. who cares what the so called experts think

This is a No-Brainer to me. If Mallett is available at 15, You RUN up to the podium and hand in your card.

If he is the QB who is going to be our franchise QB, then HELL YEAH. If we are unable to trade down, and we pass on him at #15, there will not be a QB in round three who will be better. There are not many franchise QB's who fall to the 199th pick like Tom Brady. Also people who say Mallett is "sloth like" should check the You Tube videos where he often runs up the middle 15 yards for a TD. I think his "speed" is no worse than Dan Marino. Mallett will never have Dan's quick release but Mallett has a cannon for an arm and can get it anywhere downfield. I think Mallett is the pick if he is on the board at 15.

Mallett at 15 sounds right to me.

I only hope this organization has the balls to pull the trigger, I'd like to see some more Superbowl wins in my lifetime.

Trying to think in my head what would happen if we took Mallet at 15 and how the rest of the draft would go.

1 (15). QB Mallet
3 (79). TE Lance Kendricks
4 (111). OG John Moffit
5 (146). RB Roy Helu
6 (179). WR Denarius Moore
7 (218). OG Justin Boren
7 (219). LB Mark Herzlich
7 (237). CB Anthony Gaitor

Once a CBA is in place we could probably bring in a couple of undrafted free agent RBs. Not a lot of defense drafted there either. Hoping Edds makes a full recover at linebacker, Herzlich I think can play inside or outside (SS) so he gives us some versatility. Kendrick can stretch the field at TE and he's a good blocker. Denarius Moore will stretch the field at WR. Not having that 2nd round pick does suck.

Back
Top Bottom