Would Larry Czonka be able to gain decent yardage from our new Offensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Larry Czonka be able to gain decent yardage from our new Offensive Line

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Would Larry Czonka excelled under our present offenive line??? Was the OL of the seventies more athletic, smarter and/or just more determined???

Our present O-line hasn't run a single play together yet. It's impossible to know how they're going to do.

Good Point.... I'm very optimistic about our young offensive line... The major concern I have is there techniques.. Under the Shula era the offensive line was not the biggest or the most athlectic... They just executed...Maybe our present coaching staff should review tapes from past and pickup critical techniques that were used for their success...

Dozerdog said:
That's awfully defintive. Could you at least give examples or links as to why?

I'm not trying to knock you, but it would be nice to hear your side of the argument. Me, I have no side to take as this is an entirely different era in football. But, I didn't come here and lay a one-word answer either. :D

Please, give me your assessment. Again, I am being sincere. I would like to hear your point of view.

Larry Czonka was a runner that could make his own holes when none were there. He would have done well behind any line.

KBISBACK said:
Larry Czonka was a runner that could make his own holes when none were there. He would have done well behind any line.
Yup for the era he played in that much is true. His linemen averaged about 270lbs instead of the 325lbs they do now. Then again, Czonka has all the speed of a glacier by comparison with todays backs. As much as I loved the guy, Czonka would be cut in the training camp of every single NFL team today:shakeno:

I don't know what Czonka would have done but I really think this line will come togeather and surprise a lot of people.

I disagree that Csonka would get cut in camp by all the teams in the league. Csonka was a fullback not a running back. The 70's teams had Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris as the running backs. There is no fullback in the game right now that can run, block, and catch as well as Csonka. The only one that comes close is Mike Alsott of the Bucs. If you are going to compare, compare him to other fullbacks not the running backs. As a testament to his blocking ability in 1973 both and Mercury Morris rushed for over 1000 yards. That is routine for a starting running back these days but unheard of for a fullback. The season is also longer by two games now. Morris had speed to run outside but he also had #39 blocking. I don't think it is a fair comparison to Csonka or todays fullbacks. The game has evolved and shifted the focus of the offense to other positions to where none will achieve what Csonka did in his career as a fullback.

Spezznatz said:
Yup for the era he played in that much is true. His linemen averaged about 270lbs instead of the 325lbs they do now. Then again, Czonka has all the speed of a glacier by comparison with todays backs. As much as I loved the guy, Czonka would be cut in the training camp of every single NFL team today:shakeno:

You're talking about a fullback that happens to be in the pro football hall of fame. All of a sudden he wouldn't even make it out of training camp without getting cut?! You really should try thinking before you speak. This is the silliest post I have ever read on this sight. :roflmao:

I find it difficult to imagine Larry Csonka being cut from any team, regardless of the era......I grew up watching those dominanting 70`s teams, man do I miss `em!

I don't think Csonka would do very well with this line... he's much too old.

:goof:

KBISBACK said:
Zonk was his own OL.

Back
Top Bottom