Would there have been a better way of handling this? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would there have been a better way of handling this?

fishfan34

2008 AFC EASTERN DIVISION CHAMPIONS!
Joined
Dec 17, 2004
Messages
4,088
Reaction score
3
Age
50
Location
I'm back in Florida BABY!
You said it perfectly, "If the story is true" and since none of us know if the story is true, then i'll just give Nick the benefit of the doubt. Rick isn't stupid, he knew from the day that Dave left this team after the Arizona game last year that his days here were in question. Nick is going to run things his way and I am behind him.
 

sam

Starter
Joined
Dec 24, 2004
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
I've seen a lot good for the team, but I've really lost a lot respect for Saban on his handling of Spielman.

I remember those earlier reports where some of his former coaches didn't really seem to like him, I didn't think much about it before...now I think there's something to them...He seems to have a lot of fancy phases and analogies, apparently can have a good relationship with people that are under his control (players), but, he's definitely lacking something when it comes to his peers/people he can't completely control (media, coaches, etc).
 

jagmagicus

Practice Squad
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Look business is business, Saban knew the guy was leaving and chose not to include him who cares. Anyone bothered by this needs to A) get a life and B) realize that not everything goes as planned

So what if he did give him the silent treatment. The Sun Sentinal has to be the worst paper for sporting news. The Dolphins could win the superbowl and the Sun would still find a negative somewhere to write about.
 

Roman529

Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
36,436
Reaction score
54
Age
55
Location
Belgium
jagmagicus said:
Look business is business, Saban knew the guy was leaving and chose not to include him who cares. Anyone bothered by this needs to A) get a life and B) realize that not everything goes as planned

So what if he did give him the silent treatment. The Sun Sentinal has to be the worst paper for sporting news. The Dolphins could win the superbowl and the Sun would still find a negative somewhere to write about.

EXACTLY...you stole my words....business is business.....in the real world you get a pink slip or the boss telling you, "You're fired." Nick needs to bring in his own people. Also, Saban at least let Spielman go now while he still may have a shot to be picked up as an administrator by another NFL team (or a college team?)...Nick had to clean house after the stench left by Wanny.
 

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
3,067
Reaction score
3
Age
45
Roman529 said:
EXACTLY...you stole my words....business is business.....in the real world you get a pink slip or the boss telling you, "You're fired." Nick needs to bring in his own people. Also, Saban at least let Spielman go now while he still may have a shot to be picked up as an administrator by another NFL team (or a college team?)...Nick had to clean house after the stench left by Wanny.


Do you realize that I (and others) are not feeling sorry for Spielman getting let go or are in any way saying that he shouldn't have been canned? I said from the beginning of this thread that Saban needed to bring in his own people, people he was comfortable with so that is not the issue here. The only question I was wondering about is that there is a professional way of handling these situations and if the media is correct (which I am not saying that they are but have prefaced this thread with the hypothetical "supposing what was written is true"), that is no way to treat Rick Spielman. Say what you want about the man and his mixed results but he did his best and worked gave the organization 5 years.
 

LarryFinFan

Left So Fla, never the Fins...
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
7,694
Reaction score
2
Location
NC
phinfan2003 said:
Now I know the media doesn't always print the whole story and may only include part truths but supposing the article in the Herald is true about how Spielman was treated past couple weeks by Saban (giving him the silent treatment), don't you think that's a bit unprofessional on Saban's part? I mean, I have no problem w/ Saban getting rid of Spielman because he wanted someone he felt more comfortable with but assuming this article is true, couldn't he just have been straight with him? He could have waited until after the draft and then told Spielman something like "look, this isn't going to work. Thanks for everything but I'm looking to bring in my own personnel man here" and that would have been the right thing to do. Those that look at Saban as God please view this post as if the article was true. There may be more to this story but I'm just looking at what I've read so far.


It was a foregone conclusion that RS was leaving either by getting fired or resigning. Don't take too much stock in reports that "Speilman was given the silent treatment". Consider the source for this negative reporting. If you read the Herald, the Sentinel and the Post, you get three different views as well as several different "frontrunners" for the vacant post that RS is leaving...If you and I were Saban, we'd want our own guy in there too. RS unfortunately will always be linked to Wanny and the sinking ship he left us in, no matter how things turn out with the personnel he has acquired. Lets just wish RS the best and move on...
 

jagmagicus

Practice Squad
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
phinfan2003 said:
Do you realize that I (and others) are not feeling sorry for Spielman getting let go or are in any way saying that he shouldn't have been canned? I said from the beginning of this thread that Saban needed to bring in his own people, people he was comfortable with so that is not the issue here. The only question I was wondering about is that there is a professional way of handling these situations and if the media is correct (which I am not saying that they are but have prefaced this thread with the hypothetical "supposing what was written is true"), that is no way to treat Rick Spielman. Say what you want about the man and his mixed results but he did his best and worked gave the organization 5 years.



Do you realize I think he handled it just fine. He obviously lost trust in spielman and was not going to trust him with any info, why is that so hard to figure out. I would have done the same thing, he was out of the circle of trust, and Saban let him leave on his own terms.

Do you have people come to your work and ask "hey couldn't he have done that better?" based on some rumor they heard because conversation was stail? That's all this is, no big releases or signings going on so the Sun Sentinal had to CREATE their own news, then gullable people like you that believe everything they read start threads like this.


HE HANDLED IT PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Top Bottom