Would you do this Draft Day Trade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you do this Draft Day Trade

ColoradoFin

Active Roster
Reaction score
A guy named Robert Melendez proposed we do this trade in his column on DolphinsTalk.com. What are your thoughts? Basically we would be doing a trade down with the New Orleans Saints, who would pick Baker Mayfield at #11. The details:

Dolphins: Receive 27th, 91st, and 2019 1st Round Selection

Saints: Receive 11th Overall Selection

That is similar to what the Chiefs did last year when they moved up 17 spots in a trade with the Bills to draft Mahomes.

Chiefs move up 17 spots for Patrick Mahomes

Chiefs receive:
» 2017 first-round pick (No. 10): Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech

Bills receive:
» 2017 first-round pick (No. 27): Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU
» 2017 third-round pick (No. 91) -- traded to Rams
» 2018 first-round pick

I would do this trade only if the Dolphins doesn't receive a better offer or if they have Mayfield as the highest rated player on their board.

Ideally, we find another trade partner that puts in the late teens or early 20's. I still think trading down gives us the ability to fill many of our holes with youth and not high priced, injury-prone free agents.

I hope the front office brings in several potential QB's and continues to make subtle noise about drafting a QB in the first. Another team will call. That's when we get our deal. We still go with LB, DE, and Guard with our top 3 choices. If we choose correctly, all 3 will play next year. Pick up middle round QB, TE, and other depth players.

I think I would do this deal with the Saints mainly because it’s looking (from many projected mocks) like many of the top guys at LB, CB, O-Line, and our biggest areas of need might well be gone by pick #11. So why not trade down to the 20’s and get a solid pick, plus an extra pick in round three (#91), and then if the Saints fall off this season we could likely have an extra top 20 pick next year.

Depends on the board, and how you think other teams have the players ranked. If I think I can move back to 27 and still get someone like DeShon Elliott or Leighton Vander Esch, I would.

The more tape that I see of him the more I like him. He has range, loose hips and size. Just needs to add a little more weight to that frame, if possible. I am amazed that he has only been a starter this last year. I think he has a bright future in the league.

I would do this trade, you could even, if you wanted too, use that pick as ammo to move back into the first this year if you like somebody enough.

Pull the trigger. In fact, if someone wants to come up to get Rudolph or Jackson at the bottom of the 1st round, I might package #27 for another high 2nd, 3rd, and a 2019 2nd. Our positions of greatest need, OG, LB, TE, FS, DE will have quality buys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. As far as WR and CB, this draft is deep in talent.

I would take that trade any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Getting the additional picks this year would allow them to fill more holes and add some depth. And the additional first next year would be the icing on the cake.

I am not overly impressed with more than a handful of players in this year's draft and if none of them are on the board, trade down.

I would never consider a trade down without knowing who is on the board at the time.
Never is a really long time, but I'm thinking the same way. At least wait until draft day to see how things unfold. If all the players you have targeted for 11 are gone before you pick, there's no reason to wait. But otherwise, wait. There is risk, since the team looking to move up could get nervous or find a better deal, and leapfrog us. It's risk I'd take.

Another factor is whether the Dolphins are looking for a QB in the first round this year. If not, getting that extra 1st-round pick in 2019 is insurance should Tanne reinjure his knee in the upcoming season. Having 2 first-rounders in 2019 would help them move up for a QB in that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom