Would you give this up for Calvin Johnson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you give this up for Calvin Johnson

KendallCat

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Let's say for some reason that Oakland does not take Calvin Johnson at #1 and they go with Russell and the Lions go with Thomas or Quinn. What would you give up to get CJ in a Fins uniform. What made me think of this was watching something on the NFL network where the 49ers gave a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd to the Pats to move up to #16 and another pick in the 2nd or 3rd I believe to get Jerry Rice. Dallas was prepared to take him with the next pick, and could you imagine what both teams fortunes would have been like if this had happened.

Going back to my scenario I would not have a problem with Miami moving up to get CJ providing we take Trent Green as a QB to buy us a 1-2 years of QB play while we develop one. I would offer the Browns the following to move up to #3 and it is based on the value chart that most teams use. FYI - the #3 pick is worth 2200 points while the #9 pick is worth 1350.

We would have to offer the Browns our #1, one of our #2's, our 3rd and throw in a 6th/7th. By doing this we would solve our WR problem, and we would still have a 2nd rounder to grab some o-line help like Beekman, Blaylock, or possibly Kalil if we keep pick #40. With our 4th rounder we could grab a QB like Beck, Edwards, or Kolb to groom for a few years.

yea for that guy I would do it..the offense would be in "win now" mode consistent with our defense.

in that draft you have us taking (maybe) 1 o-lineman in the first 6 rounds.. don't see how you can expect CJ to get anything done without a line to protect our quarterback (who in this draft would either be a possibly-not healthy Cpep or an old Trent Green.. both pretty immobile)... I mean I would love to get CJ but i think realistically we have so many holes we can't afford to give up that many draft picks. If a player was involved in the trade then maybe it would be a little more feasible, as we could keep some draft picks.

If we can get CJ, we should. He is the best player in the draft.

I dont know if i would give up much for Calvin Johnson because if we dont have any body that can get the ball to him what the point of getting him i would rather take Quinn and trade for Ginn Jr so we would have some one the help Chris Chambers because most of the Defences are looking for Chamber because they know he is the number one WR that the Dolphins have and if they leave him one on one with a DB the dolphins would just be able to throw the ball up for him and Chambers would go up and get it

World class recievers make a quarterback look good. Dan Marino's probem in his last few years is that he didn't have anyone to throw to. A better O line would be better than a good reciever but I think Calvin Jackson is the closest thing to a can't miss that there is in this draft.

Thanks for the responses and I am still thinking about this one and whether or not it would make sense. One on hand we could get a WR that will most likely dominate for the next 10+ years, and the 2nd and 3rd round picks we give up nobody will be able to remember what they would have been in 2-3 years. Do we need help at other positions like QB and o-line - yes? Can these be addressed through FA and the draft in later rounds - o-line yes and QB maybe. My point is far too many times teams waste picks high in the draft and don't build a team, and by getting CJ if would help our running game, our QB play, and our o-line because other teams would have to account for him on defense. With a WR like CJ along with Chambers in the slot and Booker on the opposite side how much better will Ronnie Brown be running and catching the ball out of the backfield?

If we take Quinn do we solve our QB problem - maybe? If we take CJ do we add a major threat on offense for years to come - you bet.

If we get CJ our team is almost set for the big dance. Our Defense is looking nasty our Offense has some holes but we will fix it by this season.

World class recievers make a quarterback look good. Dan Marino's probem in his last few years is that he didn't have anyone to throw to. A better O line would be better than a good reciever but I think Calvin Jackson is the closest thing to a can't miss that there is in this draft.
i so agree if u want a guy you know is going to have a very good career its this guy!

The most I would trade for Calvin Johnson would be:

Chambers or Booker + 9th overall pick + 40th overall pick + 2008 2nd round pick

The most I would trade for Calvin Johnson would be:

Chambers or Booker + 9th overall pick + 40th overall pick + 2008 2nd round pick
The trade in the original post was better. That has a 3rd and a 6th/7th and yours has Chambers or Booker and a 2nd. I'd much rather do the original trade.

I understand everyone is in love with this guy, because hell, so am I... but mortgaging nearly your entire first day for one guy... ehhhhh. We have so many holes.

Back
Top Bottom