Would you lose your mind over this projected pick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you lose your mind over this projected pick?

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
See our first overall pick after a trade up to 4. That's a lot to give up to move up one spot.
Although this guy has Xavier McKinney and Dobbins both lasting into the 70's, so I am not sure he has a spot of credibility.
That trade up REEKS of panic.

See our first overall pick after a trade up to 4. That's a lot to give up to move up one spot.
Although this guy has Xavier McKinney and Dobbins both lasting into the 70's, so I am not sure he has a spot of credibility.
That trade up REEKS of panic.

Yep completely pointless trade up for a player with as many question marks about him as Herbert has, giving up two twos for one spot ! No thank you, Love for me is on the same level in terms of a diamond to polish that Herbert is, if we are still intent on drafting a QB and Tua's gone then I stay at 5 personally, if someone wants to jump us to pick Herbert, let them.

Absolutely but in the same breathe. MIAMI better know what they are doing.
I mean I would trade down to see all of those really good players from 10-19.
BTW I love the write up of what he says about Tua to the Redskins.

Absolutely but in the same breathe. MIAMI better know what they are doing.
I mean I would trade down to see all of those really good players from 10-19.
BTW I love the write up of what he says about Tua to the Redskins.

There's no way the acquiring of Allen indicates that they are trying to shop Haskins. No one is going to give them anything of real value for Haskins right now with all the FA QBs still out there. Haskins is more valuable to the skins than any other team. I will happily go on record as saying, no way the Skins take a QB at 2, with a new defensive HC they will take Young or trade back (if they can find someone to fleece).

Yep completely pointless trade up for a player with as many question marks about him as Herbert has, giving up two twos for one spot ! No thank you, Love for me is on the same level in terms of a diamond to polish that Herbert is, if we are still intent on drafting a QB and Tua's gone then I stay at 5 personally, if someone wants to jump us to pick Herbert, let them.

I would say the same...Tua I believe is worth the move up...the next tier of QBs are about the same...Love and Herbert both offer upside, but you are still settling for a QB.

There's no way the acquiring of Allen indicates that they are trying to shop Haskins. No one is going to give them anything of real value for Haskins right now with all the FA QBs still out there. Haskins is more valuable to the skins than any other team. I will happily go on record as saying, no way the Skins take a QB at 2, with a new defensive HC they will take Young or trade back (if they can find someone to fleece).
I'll play devils advocate with you.I can see it happening all day long if they have a good GM.There QB situation imo is a mess.
Alex Smith is owed the some of like $30 million this year and wont even play a snap til maybe later in the year.He will be off the team in 2021 season.Allen is serviceable at best.And then you got Haskins which to me is a poor man's Cam Newton without the running ability.
DE is 1 of there better situations on the club.Kerrigan is a really good DE with Allen the opposite. Montez Sweat in more a hybrid DE/OLB.
If I dont find a trade down suitor which they NEED,I am taking a hypothetically Healthy Tua and not looking back.Goodbye Dwayne and Alex with Allen as my temporary Starter.Like maybe midseason starter and handing off the reigns to Tua.

BTW I love the write up of what he says about Tua to the Redskins

A smart team would absolutely make that move. Most of the teams defined as smart would do it. The Redskins under this owner will probably make the conventional wisdom choice of the defensive end and continue to hover between various levels of irrelevance

I'd be more upset w/pick 26 (RB J.Taylor) when a better RB J.K. Dobbins falls all the way past our 3rd. Also, taking safety K'Von Wallace while 2 of the top 3 safeties (McKinney & Winfield) are still on the board.

In this scenario I could deal with:
4 - QB J.Herbert
18 - OT A.Jackson
26 - DE A.Epenesa / C C.Ruiz / LB Z.Baun
56 - RB J.Dobbins
70 - S X.McKinney / A.Winfield

Because of the durability issue of Tua...I stay at 5 and let the draft come to me.

And I don’t rule out anything...Including possibly trading down a few spots.

The truth is we really don’t know what they are thinking about these QB’s...for all we know it’s not Tua or Herbert...and they are playing poker and chess?

They might like Burrow the best, and if they can’t pull off the trade...they might have Love as QB2 and are positioning to gain more capital and Love?

Who knows? It is the most fascinating draft in Dolphin history though.

I would consider Herbert at 5, but I wouldn't trade up, and I'd rather trade down from 5 if I can't get Tua. For Miami, those are my two favorite scenarios - Tua or trade down.

I'd prefer Tua, but maybe Washington is smarter than we think, and he's not an option. If Jacksonville wants to move up from 9 to 5 for Herbert, I'd target their 2021 1st, which would likely be a Top 10 and maybe a Top 5 pick. If not Tua, the best QB option imo would be Justin Fields, so I'd want to position myself to have a shot at him.

The more I go over these QB's, the more I feel the gap between Herbert and Hurts is significantly smaller than the projected cost. So, with Tua not an option, I'd want to target Hurts in 2020 and Fields in 2021. Hurts should be there at 18 and probably 26, so Miami would be able to use that (hypothetical) 9th pick on Wills, Wirfs, or Thomas.

If I thought there was real space between Herbert and Hurts, I'd say just draft Herbert at 5, and I still wouldn't hate it, but I think you maximize value and opportunity to land a stud QB with the aforementioned, trade-down scenario.

Trading up for herbert?

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom