Would You Make this Trade? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Make this Trade?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Talking to a 49er friend of mine, the topic of Colin Kaepernick came up. A year ago the 49ers drafted him in the 2nd round and Alex Smith was seen as the bridge qb for San Francisco. A year later it looks like Smith is the guy in SF. So my friend asked me if he thought the Dolphins would trade their #1 pick for the 49ers #1 and Kaepernick. So I'm throwing it out there to my Dolphin fans. I thought Kaepernick was an exciting prospect coming out and if Miami ends up signing someone like Peyton Manning they will still need a young qb with upside to groom. Thoughts?

Smith is not the guy in SF, not by a long shot. 1 pass completed to a WR? Give me a friggin' break.

No.

Smith isn't the guy yet in SF. If he starts in 2012 & has a winning record by mid season then he will be, and Kaepernick my be trade bait then. But not yet.

Also, he hasnt done anything to warrant him being considered a swap of places in the 1st.

Kaepernick did a nice job at Nevada, but he wasn't always going up against great defenses. He has nice size (6'6") but probably needs to add a little weight. Running QB's don't last long at his weight. If San Fran had a lower pick, around #15 or better, it might be worth trading ours for theirs, if they threw in Kaerpenick, but the Niners would have to throw in more to move up 20 spots in the first round. I just wish we had taken Patrick Willis over Ted Ginn, when we had the chance.

Short answer: No. Long answer: I think the 49ers willingness to trade Kaepernick this early into his development is really a ringing condemnation by his head coach. If Harbaugh doesn't want to work with him (because at this stage he's far from a finished product), then I think it safe to say not many people would be willing to take on that challenge. Furthermore, the 49ers wouldn't even harbor the notion of trading Kaepernick yet as he has not had any opportunity to show off the progress he has made the past year. We'll see a heavy dose of Kaep come preseason as the 49ers showcase his abilities, and possibly see if they have a new starter.

They already said they're resigning Smith. Depending on the contract he gets will indicate what their plans are.

If Ireland likes CKap then I say go for it. Won't happen tho.

Back
Top Bottom