Would you rather? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you rather?

Swollcolb

Active Roster
Reaction score
Would you rather Miami draft a top WR Chase/Smith and sign Aaron Jones, or Would you rather Miami sign Allen Robinson and draft a top RB Etienne/Harris?

So it basically comes down to would you rather draft a First Round RB or pay significant money for one? And would you rather draft a young stud top 5 most likely or sign a proven player in his prime.

Some interesting dynamics in both hypotheticals, I know a lot of people won’t like either but just curious if you had to choose

It isn't exactly what you've described, but I'd take the WR first and look into signing Jones. 1) I don't think he'll be super expensive and 2) I'd still draft a RB in the 3rd round or so.

I wouldn't sign a FA WR at all. I think we have enough, in house, after we draft 2.

It isn't exactly what you've described, but I'd take the WR first and look into signing Jones. 1) I don't think he'll be super expensive and 2) I'd still draft a RB in the 3rd round or so.

I wouldn't sign a FA WR at all. I think we have enough, in house, after we draft 2.
Yeah good point, that’s my preference as well. I think we have some solid vet type receivers in house and we need to add some youth there and then vice versa Ahmed and Gaskin have shown us some nice things give them a veteran like Jones and it would make for a nice room

Yeah good point, that’s my preference as well. I think we have some solid vet type receivers in house and we need to add some youth there and then vice versa Ahmed and Gaskin have shown us some nice things give them a veteran like Jones and it would make for a nice room
I've been singling Jones on my FA RB card for awhile now. The Pack are in cap Hell and won't be able to resign him (and that's why they drafted Dillon). He and Andy Dalton are the only name FAs I'd even consider. I'd rather go all draft and work to get comp draft picks like the Patriots always do... but if we are going to sign someone, I am NOT looking at expensive Free Agents this year; I'm going to keep the cap costs down and prepare for future years when we will have to resign our own.

Would you rather Miami draft a top WR Chase/Smith and sign Aaron Jones, or Would you rather Miami sign Allen Robinson and draft a top RB Etienne/Harris?

So it basically comes down to would you rather draft a First Round RB or pay significant money for one? And would you rather draft a young stud top 5 most likely or sign a proven player in his prime.

Some interesting dynamics in both hypotheticals, I know a lot of people won’t like either but just curious if you had to choose
Definitely sign Robinson and draft Harris

I've been singling Jones on my FA RB card for awhile now. The Pack are in cap Hell and won't be able to resign him (and that's why they drafted Dillon). He and Andy Dalton are the only name FAs I'd even consider. I'd rather go all draft and work to get comp draft picks like the Patriots always do... but if we are going to sign someone, I am NOT looking at expensive Free Agents this year; I'm going to keep the cap costs down and prepare for future years when we will have to resign our own.
There are a bunch of free agents that I’d consider at the right price.

Sign a top WR and still draft one extremely high, or draft two in the first 2 days. We need 2 quality additions at WR.

I wouldn't sign a RB under any circumstances. We have depth. We need an RB1. Should be able to find one on day 2. I love Harris, but wouldn't spend a first round pick on him. Harris, Etienne, or Javonte Williams can be had in round 2. Sermon is an interesting name to watch as well.

There are a bunch of free agents that I’d consider at the right price.
I suppose that an extremely cheap free agent would have to be considered, but I'm still an advocate of maximizing our compensatory draft picks... and the best way to do that is to refrain from signing anyone at all. Obviously, we have money under the cap, but I'd rather allocate it to resigning what we have, or to pay players we have obtained through trades.

There are some teams in deep, deep cap Hell that would probably LOVE to send us solid vets for essentially nothing, if we just took the contracts off of their books... that's the direction I would look first.

Compensatory draft picks are hit and miss. You know what you are getting with a free agent.

Compensatory draft picks are hit and miss. You know what you are getting with a free agent.
What do you mean hit and miss? There is a pretty clearly defined formula for them. Can you explain?

They are not high draft picks, 100+, so hit and miss players.

It's a good question.

If I'm Grier, I make sure I extend Ogbah long-term. That would be my "free agent" goal. I know Ogbah has one more year, but that's where the big money would go.

I probably wouldn't sign any other expensive free agents. But in the OP' s example, I'd take Robinson over Jones.

They are not high draft picks, 100+, so hit and miss players.
Is Free Agency a better bet though? What is the failure rate on FAs--50% maybe? A missed FA signing is devastating... not only do you get a lemon player, you take a pretty big hit to your salary cap. Missing on a mid-rounder is MUCH less damaging...

That said, both methods can work, but each comes with its own risks.

I like younger free agents that are not superstars. Caveat is only at the right price And no more than 3 year contracts.

It's a good question.

If I'm Grier, I make sure I extend Ogbah long-term. That would be my "free agent" goal. I know Ogbah has one more year, but that's where the big money would go.

I probably wouldn't sign any other expensive free agents. But in the OP' s example, I'd take Robinson over Jones.
I initially thought the same, until the cap numbers were updated. Ogbah is an absolute bargain and steal, i think we can all agree. But with uncertain financial times facing the entire league, it might be wise to wait, until next season to see how the league; rebounds from the financial restraint of the Covid situation, before moving forward with an extension or tagging him.

I'm not sure what is going to happen but I think F/A is going to be very different for Miami compared to last offseason. I think your going to see much more draft trading and movement than ever before, to offset the lack of cap space by the cash strapped teams. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom