Would you *SLASH* Could it happen... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you *SLASH* Could it happen...

Phin Phanatic

Starter
Reaction score
Personally, I'd love to see the following happen as it would benefit the Phins in a plethora of ways....

Could the Ravens become real attached to Matt Ryan that'd they'd catapult ahead of Atlanta and possibly even the Dolphins for the Ryan Sweepstakes. We'd get their #8, their 3rd rounder and a 1st or 2nd in 2009. Then with #8 we'd draft Vernon Gholston, being that he is the ultimate player for a 3-4 defense...

How Dope would that be?

Of course way too many factors to derail this...

1. Ravens may have faith in midget Troy Smith
2. they may covet Brohm, Woodson or whomever more
3. Vernon Gholston may not be available at #8
4. I may be WAY off one what the swap would entail for the Phins

Nonetheless, that'd be dope!

Realistically, I can see him slipping past NE. New England has a history of trading picks and I've heard they'd shop around this pick without hesitation. Secondly, they might want to address the CB position and after Cason who should go middle of round 2, there is a huge drop off at CB.

3 reasons why they'd go with Gholston is because a) he's a perfect fit for their defense b) Although he's listed as DE, he's a hybrid LB and the NE LB corps needs a major overhaul c) the '08 Class is WEAK at OLB, real weak...

Here's hoping the Pats pick Rivers....

Realistically, I can see him slipping past NE. New England has a history of trading picks and I've heard they'd shop around this pick without hesitation. Secondly, they might want to address the CB position and after Cason who should go middle of round 2, there is a huge drop off at CB.

3 reasons why they'd go with Gholston is because a) he's a perfect fit for their defense b) Although he's listed as DE, he's a hybrid LB and the NE LB corps needs a major overhaul c) the '08 Class is WEAK at OLB, real weak...

Here's hoping the Pats pick Rivers....

The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer Gholston to Chris Long. Gholston is a lot like those Giants defensive ends. Chris Long is a great DE, I just think Gholston is quicker to the QB, and we're going to need that playing in the same divsion as the Patriots.

I think Gholston is the first player we should take, but he's too much of a reach at #1... But what does that mean anymore?

Really, I don't think it matters, there is no chance at a GINN this year. Whomever we pick (with the exception of Ryan, who we probably won't pick anyway) will become an immediate impact player for us... There are only 5 guys I can see us taking with the our first round pick (whether it is the first pick or we trade down), those are the 2 Longs, Elllis, Gholston, Keith Rivers.

I think Gholston is the first player we should take, but he's too much of a reach at #1... But what does that mean anymore?

Really, I don't think it matters, there is no chance at a GINN this year. Whomever we pick (with the exception of Ryan, who we probably won't pick anyway) will become an immediate impact player for us... There are only 5 guys I can see us taking with the our first round pick (whether it is the first pick or we trade down), those are the 2 Longs, Elllis, Gholston, Keith Rivers.

Gholston may be a reach now but who knows after the combine and pro day workouts.

As much as I'd like to see us trade down its wishful thinking IMO. The #1 pick very rarely gets traded.

That said, I can think of alot of other guys I'd rather have than Gholston, who is far from the "Ultimate 3-4 player" IMO.

I'm not so sure that Gholston would be a reach, there are 3 or 4 players that I'd consider at #1, and all of them are rated fairly closely. Chris Long/Glenn Dorsey/Vernon Gholston/Sedrick Ellis

As much as I'd like to see us trade down its wishful thinking IMO. The #1 pick very rarely gets traded.

That said, I can think of alot of other guys I'd rather have than Gholston, who is far from the "Ultimate 3-4 player" IMO.

It will probably be a couple years until we move to a full 3-4 defense. We're probably going to be playing in a 4-3 for most of the upcoming year.

I believe when it gets closer to the draft....we may see three or four teams fighting for Ryan...K.C., Atlanta, Ravens and the Bears....so anything is possible.

I rather see the Dolphins pick C. Campbell in the first round if they can trade out and don't go with OL first. At 6'8" 285 he's more a Parcells type of a player than the others...and thats if the Dolphins do go to a straight 3-4.
The next player I would like then to go after is Laws...in the second round. With the other two second round picks then they could go after OL/WR and or Flacco...of course all depends on whom they go after as free agents.

It will probably be a couple years until we move to a full 3-4 defense. We're probably going to be playing in a 4-3 for most of the upcoming year.

I agree :up:

Wasn't trying to suggest otherwise, just another reason we should take Chris Long, perfect hybrid type player.

I believe when it gets closer to the draft....we may see three or four teams fighting for Ryan...K.C., Atlanta, Ravens and the Bears....so anything is possible.

I rather see the Dolphins pick C. Campbell in the first round if they can trade out and don't go with OL first. At 6'8" 285 he's more a Parcells type of a player than the others...and thats if the Dolphins do go to a straight 3-4.
The next player I would like then to go after is Laws...in the second round. With the other two second round picks then they could go after OL/WR and or Flacco...of course all depends on whom they go after as free agents.
When it comes to size and potential, you are probably right. However, when you watch Campbell on the field you don't see that potential very often, atleast not last year.

When it comes to size and potential, you are probably right. However, when you watch Campbell on the field you don't see that potential very often, atleast not last year.

I remember when every so called expert said that J. Taylor was too light to become a great DE....and also they said that Zack was too small to become a great Middle linebacker....potential is in the eye of the beholder. If Campell runs a sub 4.8 time at the combine...his stock will fly up in the draft.

I remember when every so called expert said that J. Taylor was too light to become a great DE....and also they said that Zack was too small to become a great Middle linebacker....potential is in the eye of the beholder. If Campell runs a sub 4.8 time at the combine...his stock will fly up in the draft.

I think thats what he was trying to say. He has the size and potential but he hasn't lived up to it on the field. Its about production.

Back
Top Bottom