Wow!Saban (article) a breath of fresh air! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wow!Saban (article) a breath of fresh air!

I don't know how much of all of this is going to translate out onto the field but I think we do have to breathe a sigh of relief a little bit because it DEFINITELY could have been a lot worst.

These are established veterans with an established system and an established style of coaching, regiment, structure, etc. Saban comes in with a reputation for being a hard-@ss. The question is, could this have ended up like the Giants' situation in 2004? Coughlin's being such a hard-@ss gave him a reputation that preceded him in NY and the initial reaction to him among the players was pretty much a polar opposite of what we've seen here. They talked about how his training camps were ridiculously grueling and unnecessary, how being hard for the sake of being hard is stupid, etc. There was dang near a locker room revolt before season started.

I think Saban walked in here with that same kind of Coughlin reputation. Remember months ago before he got here when Zach and JT and Jay Williams were going to the press and talking about how stupid it is to have a coach that is tough just for the sake of being tough and how veterans don't need to be "rah-rah"d like college players, etc. Now they actually get a taste of his coaching and we've heard from several sources now that the veterans are impressed, rather than disgusted. I think this is significant, because I really do believe it could easily have been the other way around. These players don't HAVE to be making these statements, nobody is putting a gun to their head, and pro football talk had rumors of private veteran rumblings about how impressed they are with Saban's structured system even before it was coming out in the herald (waaaay before, too).

ckparrothead said:
I don't know how much of all of this is going to translate out onto the field but I think we do have to breathe a sigh of relief a little bit because it DEFINITELY could have been a lot worst.

These are established veterans with an established system and an established style of coaching, regiment, structure, etc. Saban comes in with a reputation for being a hard-@ss. The question is, could this have ended up like the Giants' situation in 2004? Coughlin's being such a hard-@ss gave him a reputation that preceded him in NY and the initial reaction to him among the players was pretty much a polar opposite of what we've seen here. They talked about how his training camps were ridiculously grueling and unnecessary, how being hard for the sake of being hard is stupid, etc. There was dang near a locker room revolt before season started.

I think Saban walked in here with that same kind of Coughlin reputation. Remember months ago before he got here when Zach and JT and Jay Williams were going to the press and talking about how stupid it is to have a coach that is tough just for the sake of being tough and how veterans don't need to be "rah-rah"d like college players, etc. Now they actually get a taste of his coaching and we've heard from several sources now that the veterans are impressed, rather than disgusted. I think this is significant, because I really do believe it could easily have been the other way around. These players don't HAVE to be making these statements, nobody is putting a gun to their head, and pro football talk had rumors of private veteran rumblings about how impressed they are with Saban's structured system even before it was coming out in the herald (waaaay before, too).

After the Dolphins hired Saban, I immediately bought his book so I could get a glimpse of what the man was about. As far as his practices go, he stated that he didn't like to practice his team any longer than two hours, with very little hitting taking place. The gruel is..he will practice until they get it right and he does yell and scream.

Coughlins method is hard hitting and yelling and screaming.

Saban has been impressive to this point...let's hope it continues through the rest of his career. I think we have gotten a special head coach here, but only time will tell.

ckparrothead said:

I see what ya mean, but If I remember correctly JWill was the only one complaining about Saban. Zach and JT were just upset because Bates was leaving the organization.

I also think the reason for the players having a different reaction is their character, and how Wanny treated them. From what I've read, it really sounds like alot of the players were pretty tired of Wanny and are willing to listen to Saban. Also, alot of the guys on our team were not 1st round picks, and had to work extremely hard to get to where they are now. The Giants were a team filled with spoiled first round picks.

As I said earlier, it really sounds like the vets are happy that Wanny is gone. Seau, Zach, Sam, and JT all seem real excited about the change. They are probably like this because Saban isn't favoring anyone like Wanny did Fiedler. And After learning about how the offensive staff hardly communicated last year, I know AJ, RMac, and CC are happy.

All this upbeat attitude is great but you notice when the Giants were winning they werent complaining anymore. Bamn! they start losing and all of a sudden this is bad this is wrong this is that. I'm just saying people might start questioning Saban if he doesn't have the greatest rookie season.

Don't get to happy about attitudes untill we see the team go through the good times and the hard times.:D

Make no mistake about it, when word first came of our interest in a strict authoritarian like Saban, Zach especially came right out against such a move. They all went to bat for Bates, and in doing so they for the most part spoke out against an authoritarian type coach. What I'm saying is, given that, I think we should be very happy that they are singing Saban's praises.

We all know it starts at the top. Saban will run a tight ship! No favorites with him. Plus everybody has to prove their worth. Every year............

will I beleave there will alway be favorites
it just you hope your favorites, show they can lead by example.

you just can't treat your star player and the 53 player on your roster the same
IMO!

Back
Top Bottom