wow...what a shocker...(not) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

wow...what a shocker...(not)

nuffrespekk

bigtingsagwaan2005
Reaction score
-why was sammy knight covering Brown in the OT play? Sammy was brought in as an impact player, someone who cheats on the run and has an uncanny ability to jump into passing lanes and make plays on the ball. But he is slow and cannot cover 90% of the WR's in the NFL one-on-one. Maybe it was a zone D that wasn't accounting on Brady having 5 sec to throw, maybe it was a great playcall by Belicheck, maybe, maybe, maybe...but from a TV perspective, Jason Taylor bit on the pump fake and took himself out of the play, there was absolutely no pressure on Brady, and the Fins rely on pressure to relieve the secondary, especially late in a game. The fact that Madison and Surtain weren't anywhere near Brown makes me think this had to be a zone coverage since there were only 2 receivers in on that play. Why call a zone with no extra passrush on their first play from scrimmage, knowing Brady would take a shot downfield? It doesn't matter how good the defensive playcalling is all game- if you give up a big one in OT it's over.
But lets not blame it on the D, since we know the game could have been won countless times before that play.
This team finds a way to lose (or come close to it) every week. Whether it be Feidler's errant arm, a bad call on offense or defense, or a special teams collapse like this week. Don't blame it on the infield, the first was blocked because the line collapsed in the middle and the kick was too low. The second was totally Mare's fault, who has been playing on that infield for half the year for many seasons. It was a good snap and hold.
Am I the only Fin fan to be fed up with their style of 'make it close every week' football that goes the same route at the end of the year every year? We are undoubtedly one of the most talented teams in football, we have great chemistry, especially on D...what is missing? There have been many champs to have mediocre, control-type offenses and stellar D's. We should have been that last year.
I think we need a coaching change for next season, specifically Offensive Coordinator. Not just to shake it up a bit and get more creative (and less predictable). Norv was great when he had a great QB/WR/RB/FB in Dallas, but he's trying to force the same system on a team with a great RB and FB, but Chambers, even though he is very good, doesn't have the consistency of an Irvin, probably due to the guy throwing him the ball isn't Troy Aikmen among other things. I don't think Feidler is particularly bad, but i don't think he is right for this offense. He throws a poor deep ball, and a Norv system requires a stretch of the field. since week 5 teams are stacking the box and taking Ricky's explosiveness out of the game. He is still key in the 4th, but for 3 quarters they render him useless, forcing a close game since Fiedler can't make the big play (and when he does, it's because his receivers make him look good). Griese is more a fit since he throws one of the best deep balls in the league, but he has problems with his accuracy and is more of a pocket passer, and if the O-line keeps playing like this, he'll be injured in a week. Dixon should be back this week, as will Konrad, so Ricky will have the lead blockers he's missing.
Anyway, just shooting the sh*t and venting my frustrations.

Wow. That was a big first post. Now I will take a deep breath and read it. :jk:

:welcome: aboard. :up:

Originally posted by nuffrespekk
Why call a zone with no extra passrush on their first play from scrimmage, knowing Brady would take a shot downfield?

See, that's the thing. I don't think the Phins were expecting the Patriots to take a shot downfield on that play. It caught me by suprise. And I think it was Tom Jackson on ESPN last night that said the same thing. That taking the D by suprise like that was an outstanding move by the Patriots (assuming our defense indeed wasn't expecting it).

They tought that Brady arm/elbow was injured and that there was no way he could throw that kind of pass. They found out the hard way.

isnt that exactly what the chiefs did in OT against the broncos??

kinda sickening...

dont these guys watch football anymore?

oops, that was the fudge packers that the chiefs threw a long bomb against in OT to end it.

while im at it, didnt the pats run that same exact play against the titans two weeks ago for their 1st TD??

I don't buy that they didn't think he could throw the ball deep. Brady had done it a few times earlier in this game, he didn't connect but he definately was capable of it. Miami not expecting it? It is possible, however not acceptable.

No defense can use that excuse. Basically, that means they admit to being unprepared. There is no reason Knight and Marion should be covering a Troy Brown with Sam Madison and Pat Surtain, no where in site.

However, I must admit, I don't blame the defense for this loss. Chambers fumbled leading to points. Mare FAILED TWICE at clinching the game with his 2 million dollar foot. The offense didn't take advantage of the red zone, instead, settling for field goals (or in this weeks case, attempts).

I also was not impressed with Norv's play calling and quite frankly, haven't been for the last couple of weeks. The only good that can ceom from this is that maybe they will now recognize how good McMicheal is and could be week in and out. Now, if he can only get Chambers the ball consistantly and not always down the field...

Hopefully, Miami will use the extra day this week to correct their terrible mistake and bounce back. As good as 6-1 would look after next week, 5-2 would not be so terrible would it?

We need to stop harping on Norv, just stop.

I think the FB run at the goaline was a good call (seeing as they were all on Ricky) it just happened to get broken up.

Like I said before, Jay missed 2 wide open TDs.

they tried that play earlier in the game to brown but brady pulled a fiedler and missed him. they saw that it worked as far as our safeties being beat and just tried it in ot with much greater success.. great unpredicable play by the pats the deserve the win.

What bothers me about being adolfan is yr after yr i get to chew my fingers off and pray for this team to win by a few points and then see them fall short... this may make a few of you upset but i would prefer a few losing seasons and get some new talent in here on offense ; just one or 2 yrs maybe draft an eli manning or a good wr like we should have done this yr. dont roast me just my thoughts.

they tried that play earlier in the game to brown but brady pulled a fiedler and missed him. they saw that it worked as far as our safeties being beat and just tried it in ot with much greater success.. great unpredicable play by the pats the deserve the win.

What botÿÿÿÿÿÿÿhers me about being adolfan is yr after yr i get to chew my fingers off and pray for this team to win by a few points and then see them fall short... this may make a few of you upset but i would prefer a few losing seasons and get some new talent in here on offense ; just one or 2 yrs maybe draft an eli manning or a good wr like we should have done this yr. dont roast me just my thoughts. sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
We need to stop harping on Norv, just stop.

I think the FB run at the goaline was a good call (seeing as they were all on Ricky) it just happened to get broken up.

Like I said before, Jay missed 2 wide open TDs.

Any thing to keep it on Jay huh? :tongue:

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Any thing to keep it on Jay huh? :tongue:

that is right, its jays fault! forget chambers fumbling a stupid *** play like that or forget mare cant get an easy kick through the uprights or forget that our Oline cant block when its 5 on 7. or that norv keeps running ricky when the passing game is working fine up the middle with mcmicheal.

Who said I was blaming anything on Jay? I didn't say he lost us the game. He did miss 2 TDs though.

Back
Top Bottom