WR Emmanuel Arceneaux, BC Lions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Emmanuel Arceneaux, BC Lions

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
(Note: the info regarding the Dolphins' and rest of the NFL's interest in him is secondhand courtesy of padre31. The rest about the player himself, his highlights, etc...are courtesy of me.)

He's not a draft pick but Emmanuel Arceneaux who was 6'2" and 210 lbs coming out of Alcorn State running a 4.50 at his Pro Day with 21 bench reps is tearing up the CFL and he's now got 7 or 8 NFL teams planning to attend his Cameron Wake-style pro workout. Miami is among those teams, and according to padre31, Jeff Ireland and Co. actually took Manny out to dinner and are recruiting him pretty hard. He claims to run a 4.4 and he's up to 215 lbs.

Alcorn State Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFdIEBuz6qM

CFL Highlights - 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDdOFeDLyKI

More CFL Highlights from 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spWZ9zDX-co

Nobody is saying that this guy is the WR version of Cameron Wake. I'm not saying he won't be, either. But if you look, he's got a really interesting array of physical and ball skills, and some instincts, the kind that make you take notice. At various moments in those highlights he flashes all of the following:

1. Cutting his angles more sharply than the defense in order to help his QB
2. Tracking the ball as it bounces around the concrete mixer or flies through a crowded lane
3. Getting his hands under the low catch
4. Making the over the shoulder grab without breaking stride
5. Tracking and adjusting to the deep ball in flight
6. Body control and burst to the football in the split seconds before the ball arrives
7. Coming down with the ball in the air with his full body extended
8. Keeping his feet after landing with the ball
9. Making defenders miss immediately after the catch
10. Pulling away from defenders after the catch
11. Setting up and following blocks with the ball in his hands
12. Snagging the one-hander
13. Stiff-arming defenders and physically plowing for yards after contact
14. Uncovering and moving within the zones to find open spaces after his route is done

That's a wide array of physical and ball skills to be flashing, and it's interesting how often you see him moving within the defense to help the QB by coming back hard to him, cutting angles really sharply, or uncovering after his route is done. I'm not saying he does all that with any kind of consistency, but he does flash all of it, and that in itself is not common.

But those are some of the most awful touchdown celebrations I've ever seen.

Caveat being if you come to the NFL from Alcorn State by way of the BC Lions, you're probably raw as it gets when it comes to getting off the press and runnning the route tree. But at the NFL level step one will be scheming him into short routes and asking him to see what he can do with the ball in his hands after the catch. They might also have him run a few verticals and see if he can track the ball in the air and use his body control to make something happen.

He looks like a pretty nice prospect. Definitely physical and fast although I don't know if he's a legit 4.4 guy. I'd love to bring him in and challenge for the #2 spot.

It really amazes me how much great video you continue to provide and it's much appreciated. I think Arceneaux looks alright. I don't really see anything that jumps out at me besides his ball skills. Not trying to knock the guy and talent is talent and when you have a chance to add some you should. But I think if we're looking at WRs the names that interest me right now are Ryan Broyles, Jerrel Jerrnigan, Juron Criner, Aldrick Robinson, and a few others. The theme as you can see is speed. And I know that pure speed alone doesn't make a good wide receiver but if we're looking at receivers I think it needs to be a major part of the equation.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind getting this guy in camp and seeing if he excels. I would take a good all around football player before an excellent athlete who is a marginal football player.

i watch him often ck......i watch alouettes football here in mtl....i was hoping the als get him....but id love even more if miami gets him....manny is a gem

he's had the dropsies this past year. good player though. Terrell Owens cousin is also a wr for the BC Lions. Not a bad player either.

theres a kid by the name of Yonas Davis playing for the Lions right now. explosive return man. I have a feeling some NFL team will give him a look. But the Phins already had Stephan Logan right under their noses and got rid of him so I dont hold out much hope he will get a look in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom