WR in round one | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR in round one

Hipster

Scout Team
Reaction score
I know we need help at a lot of positions, many more so than WR, but because of certain criteria, WR in the first round seems like the best choice.
I expect a first rounder to contribute right away regardless of position (with the exception of QB) and first rounders come pretty expensive. In looking at the other positions, they just don't make sense for the first.

Offensive Line. Since this is the deepest position in the draft, it is not unlikely that we get a first round talent in the second round. Could get better value later. Plus Houck is such an asset, that we don't need to throw first round picks away to have a great O-line

QB. We won't draft high enough to get the "ready" QB's. If we are going to develop one (Croyle, Jacobs etc...) we shouldn't blow a first pick on one. Also, Sage or Lemon might turn out pretty good with a year of proper coaching (Stupid Wanny)

CB/Safety. Between Mitchell, Poole, Daniels and Bell, there is exactly three years of experience. It's good to have youth, but some experience would be nice. I would much rather address this position in Free Agency, to help stabilize the group.

LB. We have a good core here between Thomas, Spragan and Crowder. It would be nice to infuse some fresh talent, but I think with proper scouting it is possible to get a solid linebacker in the later rounds.

DL. This position was tough, It would certainly be nice to get a monster to add to the group, but again, free agency is the way to go. You can get a lineman much cheaper than a receiver on the open market. Also we have Wright and Vickerson who provide some youth.

Which brings us to WR. Getting a first round talent to team with Booker and Chambers would give us an elite group of receivers. Not just a very good one. Great WR's are expensive. With question marks at QB, having a great receiving core would take some of the pressure off.

Just my thoughts, blast away

Hipster said:
I know we need help at a lot of positions, many more so than WR, but because of certain criteria, WR in the first round seems like the best choice.
I expect a first rounder to contribute right away regardless of position (with the exception of QB) and first rounders come pretty expensive. In looking at the other positions, they just don't make sense for the first.

Offensive Line. Since this is the deepest position in the draft, it is not unlikely that we get a first round talent in the second round. Could get better value later. Plus Houck is such an asset, that we don't need to throw first round picks away to have a great O-line

QB. We won't draft high enough to get the "ready" QB's. If we are going to develop one (Croyle, Jacobs etc...) we shouldn't blow a first pick on one. Also, Sage or Lemon might turn out pretty good with a year of proper coaching (Stupid Wanny)

CB/Safety. Between Mitchell, Poole, Daniels and Bell, there is exactly three years of experience. It's good to have youth, but some experience would be nice. I would much rather address this position in Free Agency, to help stabilize the group.

LB. We have a good core here between Thomas, Spragan and Crowder. It would be nice to infuse some fresh talent, but I think with proper scouting it is possible to get a solid linebacker in the later rounds.

DL. This position was tough, It would certainly be nice to get a monster to add to the group, but again, free agency is the way to go. You can get a lineman much cheaper than a receiver on the open market. Also we have Wright and Vickerson who provide some youth.

Which brings us to WR. Getting a first round talent to team with Booker and Chambers would give us an elite group of receivers. Not just a very good one. Great WR's are expensive. With question marks at QB, having a great receiving core would take some of the pressure off.

Just my thoughts, blast away

i dont think that no QB talent coming out of the draft is "ready" they all will have to sit a year and then get a year underthier belt...now the lesser Qualities like the Jacobs and the Croyles might have a little more downtime

Im not aware of too many top-notch WR's coming out this year. Does anyone have the scoop on some first rounders who might be worth a look? Otherwise I dont really agree on taking a WR first round. I think we could get a good third WR later in the draft or through free agency. I think right now Saban plans to take the best availble player at #16 and I dont think it will be a reciever.

Re

True. I guess I mean, if Frerotte were gone, could we get a QB that could realistically compete for the starting job.

There isn't good talent at WR up top in this draft. Even if I accepted your analysis of the above positions, you left out a position far more likely to be filled -- safety. This team could use a young playmaker at that position, and there will likely be somebody good who is worth right about the #16 pick.

I also disagree with you about OL. We may be able to get a Vernon Carey in the second round, but we will also be able to get a player *better* than Carey with this pick this year because of the talent available. It should be possible to get a guy who would be a top 5 to top 10 value at Miami's pick if we go OL.

Finally, I'm not so sure it would be a bad thing to go CB even if it would leave the team a little light on experience. It wouldn't be the best thing for 2006, but it would actually leave the team in a better position for 2007 and beyond if you ask me. I think that would be a tradeoff Nick would be willing to make -- he's playing chess, not checkers.

I see only three possiblities in the first round. I'll rank them by odds.

1.) QB - I feel this is THE must!
1.)OL - We need a Mauler. But, see choice one.
2.)CB - Needed. But, for importance, see choice1 and then two.

Cutler....if he's there. If not, John Scott or Eric Winston, either one could anchor the LT position for 10 yrs....and with HH, they could be even better!

I just think that there are plenty more pressing needs that could get filled at #16 over WR.

I kind of lumped CB and Safety together since IMO they work in tandem, with similar roles. I understand what you are saying with the OL, but I have confidence that Houck could take a player with less talent and make him the best Olineman in the draft

There are only three postions that I absolutely do NOT want to see us take in the first round.

1- Running back... for obvious reasons.

2- Wide reciever... don't like this class and think we have far bigger needs. Also, historically top flight wide recievers are easier to find later than most positions. They have an enormous bust rate.

3- Cornerback. personal bias. I have seen way too many picks wasted on CBs in the first round... their transition ot the pro game is too hard to judge. Fletcher was a choice I hated.

Now I'd take a safety in a heartbeat. A good, hard-hitting kenny Easley type is easier to project and harder to find later. I'd take Huff in a heartbeat.

Hipster said:
I kind of lumped CB and Safety together since IMO they work in tandem, with similar roles. I understand what you are saying with the OL, but I have confidence that Houck could take a player with less talent and make him the best Olineman in the draft

Imagine what Houck could do with a player who actually has serious skills. Don't you want the next Walter Jones?

As to safety, we have plenty enough experience there. They may work in tandem with CBs, but I thought your point was more about having veterans to learn from.

In defense of this idea, if Santonio Holmes is available at #16 it would be hard to just pass over him without a second glance.

IMO those who have already said the WR crop is pretty thin this year are right. My hope is Cutler, he's the guy I want over the rest (I see ALOT of Favre in him, talent and attitude both). If Cutler isnt there to be had, though I think with Young now coming out Jay will fall to us at 16, I'd be more than happy with anyone out of Ngata, Marcus McNiel, or Michael Huff. Ngata or McNiel will give us a massive anchor in the trenches, and Huff will had some talent and flexibility (I think he can play CB and FS, though I may be wrong there) to our secondary. We're in a good spot this year, draft-wise.

Hipster said:

The whole point of a draft is building for the future. Coaches and GM's are not concerned so much with what a player will do his rookie year as with what he will do with the years following his rookie year. While most first rounders should come in and contribute right away most of the time it takes a while to get adjusted to NFL speed and schemes.

That being said, it is pretty rare for NFL rookie receivers to put up great #'s their rookie year.

i would like T.O to come in, he will be well worth the hassle, i could care less about his character, we took RW back right? bring him in and let him run along with chambers, mcmike and r&r, all it takes is gus or whoever to heave it, and build a lead, then run the train all the way to the W. a WR in the draft, maybe, but not in the first 3 rounds.

i really hope michael huff is the man at #16 if we go safety, i just don´t see us drafting OL with the 1st pick we got, i wouldn´mind a LB too

Back
Top Bottom