WR is not a big enough need for a 1st | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR is not a big enough need for a 1st

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
I honestly don't think we need to draft a WR in the first. Everyone is asking which 2 out of the 3 positions should we draft with our 2 firsts (assuming O-Gun leaves.) OL, QB or WR?

Well, think about it. We already have some excellent recievers. Chambers will be even better next year, McMichael is rising as one of the top TE's in the league, Konrad is one of the better recieving FB's, and hell: OG, DT and McKnight aren't that bad of 2nd string WR's. Yes, I would definetly love to have another WR lining up beside Chris... but I think we have more pressing needs.

At QB, unless we pick up Brunell we'll be stuck with Fiedler or Griese ... AGAIN. Both of these guys single handedly lost about 3 or 4 games. Hell, even if we do pick up Brunell; we still need a QB of the future. Mark is getting old, and I see only a few more years left in him. We have been procrastinating on drafting a franchise QB ever since Marino left (which was when we should've done it.) With a new QB, we'd have one of the youngest, toughest offenses in the league. Rookie stud QB, Ricky at RB, Chambers at WR, and McMichael at TE. None of them are in their primes yet. If we don't draft someone soon (THIS YEAR), we are going to be left in another situation like Marino when we have to start someone who isn't starting calibur (cue Fiedler).

OL, don't even get me started. I think we need to totally revamp the line. We got off to a good start drafting Wade Smith, who will be a very good LT in years to come... but beside that, there is no one else that I would really like to see return. Todd Wade is decent, but isn't worth the money we are paying. I think we need to draft a 1st round stud OT or OG, start McKinney at C, start Smith at LT, sign a stud FA OT or OG and let the other guys battle for the last position on the line.

Anyway, in short: I think we need to draft a QB and OL in the 1st. With this draft being so heavy in WR, I think it's very possible we could pick up someone good in the 3rd (or if we trade up into the 2nd... even better.)

If you think we should draft a WR in the 1st instead, tell me why.

Oh come on, no one wants to argue about drafting a WR in the 1st with me? :lol:

I'm definately gonna disagree...
ZOD had a post realier today where he looked at the success rate drafting WR and QB's in the first round and the results were predicatble...
Drafting a QB is basically a crapshoot...One guy thinks Rivers doesnt have the arm to play in the NFL, another thinks Rivers is better than Manning...I suggest you look back at his post and see all the first round disapointments at QB..

Also its gonna be tough to grab a quality WR in the 3rd round...The reality is that this is one of the richest draft at WR in a while..If a Mark Clayton or Reggie Williams drops down to our lap with the 20th pick do you pass up and gamble on Losman or Rivers ??? I wouldn't...
There are about 5 or 6 top guys that could turn out to be quality football players..Boomer will tell you most of those guys will be gone by the end of round 2...
In the 3rd...we've got a chance to pick up Bernard Berrian out of Fresno State...i'd rather have a Clayton or Williams..just my opinion...

Originally posted by Pink_Dove
I'm definately gonna disagree...
ZOD had a post realier today where he looked at the success rate drafting WR and QB's in the first round and the results were predicatble...
Drafting a QB is basically a crapshoot...One guy thinks Rivers doesnt have the arm to play in the NFL, another thinks Rivers is better than Manning...I suggest you look back at his post and see all the first round disapointments at QB..

Also its gonna be tough to grab a quality WR in the 3rd round...The reality is that this is one of the richest draft at WR in a while..If a Mark Clayton or Reggie Williams drops down to our lap with the 20th pick do you pass up and gamble on Losman or Rivers ??? I wouldn't...
There are about 5 or 6 top guys that could turn out to be quality football players..Boomer will tell you most of those guys will be gone by the end of round 2...
In the 3rd...we've got a chance to pick up Bernard Berrian out of Fresno State...i'd rather have a Clayton or Williams..just my opinion...

Somebody brought up the kid from Syracuse. 6-4 and 4.4 speed. the kid will come into his own. he wasnt in a pass offense at all and the QB's sucked his whole career there. I think this kid could be a steal with great upside. I think they should look deep at this kid cus i think he returned kicks too. Hes fast and tall. has all the tools to be a great one but noone knows about him cus he is a late bloomer and grew up a little to late but he knows this is his chance.

I'm not going to say to draft a WR, but it is certainly a need. Since this draft has a lot of good receivers, we should consider getting one.

I'll take the position that we need a 1st-round WR. OG has been a good receiver but his attitude and work ethic haven't been great and his body is breaking down. McKnight is inconsistent. Thompson's "route-running" was a factor in Robert Ford's dismissal. And neither Tolver nor Simmons demonstrated that they were anywhere ready to become every-down contributors. Take out Chambers and our receiving corps is at least as bad as Philly's.

If we can get a 6'4" WR that has blazing speed and great hands...the end result would be HUGE in offensive production.

Michael Clayton
Reggie Williams

If there not on the table, then go to plan B.

it all depends on who's there and what we do in free agency first. If we get a WR in free agency then chances are we're not taking one in the draft. Lets not forget that Tolver should get a chance next season and we're still gonna be a running team.The thing is that you don't wanna take a player at #20 that should be taken at 30th. If a great WR is there at 20 then we could go for it proving we haven't gotten one in free agency.

Ozzy rules!!

If Reggie Williams is there then I think you definately take him. I'd take Mike Clayton before Losman or Rivers any day of the week as well.

i don't know if we should pursue brunell, i'd rather stick with the QBs that we have that know the system and then draft high for a QB like Rivers or Manning. WR can come in the 2nd round.

I say third round unless Reggie Williams or Clayton is there. You can get underrated Keary Colbert in the third round and he may grab a starting spot on this team.

Originally posted by Regan21286
i don't know if we should pursue brunell, i'd rather stick with the QBs that we have that know the system and then draft high for a QB like Rivers or Manning. WR can come in the 2nd round.

No second round pick.

Back
Top Bottom