wtf?@NHL combine.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

wtf?@NHL combine..

HysterikiLL

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Found this link from PFT..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=7287&hubname=

Keaton Ellerby has a big frame for a young d-man, but definitely needs to add more meat on the bones. His lack of strength was magnified on the bench and he posted one of the lowest marks on the day with a dismal two reps on the bench press of 150 lbs.

James vanRiemsdyk, although still lacking true definition, does posses a big body frame and ripped up the bench with an 11 rep outing. He and Kyle Turris held the room's attention to close out the day and seemed to feed off each other as they took on each task.

The sleeper of the day might have been Prince George's Dana Tyrell. The 5-foot-11 and 180-pound fireplug looked very lean and fit and had a very impressive 12 reps on the bench, which was easily one of the top perfomances of the day. He showed strength beyond his size. He also ripped it up on the sprint-bike and did well in agility testing.

I know I'll get ripped for posting this, because that's right...hockey is the toughest sport in the world and these guys are gods and all :rolleyes2, but c'mon...2 reps on a 150lb bench!? .. they call a 12 rep effort "very impressive"? I do sets of 15 at 150 as a damn warm up. WTF?

haven't you learned yet Hyster, you are just way too damn manly for the NHL! :D

but seriously, that is pretty pitiful...:lol:

Being "ripped" is not going to help you 90% of the time in hockey, in fact it may slow you down. Upper body strength for these guys at the combine, most of them being 15 to 17 years old, means NOTHING. I'd like to know the squat numbers though because lower body strength is everything in hockey.

Skating, balance on your skates and hockey sense are the most important factors for these KIDS. Most, if not all of them play between 65-80 junior games a year as well as go to school as well as practice every other day. Getting "pumped up" is not even on their minds. If your future possible career depended on your legs would you spend time so you could be a weight room wonder or would you work on what you NEED to work on to function in your sport? If you are either playing a game or at practice 200 times a year and working with a tutor to keep up with your school work (because you are 15-17 years old) are you going to "hit the gym" everyday so you can look sharp on the bench?

That is also why 95% of the kids drafted by the NHL come with the "has to work on his upper body strength" tag. That is also why 99% of these KIDS won't sniff the NHL for 2-3 years, until they are 20-21 years old, when they have filled out a lot more and have had time to get stronger and have been put on the proper diet and program by professional weight trainers. These are natural athletes, all of them, but most of them are just skinny KIDS that have not filled out yet.

As for the "hockey is the toughest sport in the world and these guys are gods and all :rolleyes2" comment, obvious sarcasm, do not insult things you do not know about and from the negative tone of this thread NONE of you know enough about the game to comment on it.

It sounds pathetic, but in hockey, upper-body strength is not one-tenth as important as leg strength, balance, speed, cfoordination, reaction,not to mention guts.

I know I'll get ripped for posting this, because that's right...hockey is the toughest sport in the world and these guys are gods and all :rolleyes2, but c'mon...2 reps on a 150lb bench!? .. they call a 12 rep effort "very impressive"? I do sets of 15 at 150 as a damn warm up. WTF?
Damn, these kids make me feel pretty strong :lol:

pathetic

I love it when people who know NOTHING about a topic comment on it...

It's like me going into a heart surgery thread and bashing the surgeon's technique.

I love it when people who know NOTHING about a topic comment on it...

It's like me going into a heart surgery thread and bashing the surgeon's technique.
true, but this is pretty straight forward, kids that are going into the NHL can barely lift 150 lbs. Not to complicated and I think most people know about weights.

true, but this is pretty straight forward, kids that are going into the NHL can barely lift 150 lbs. Not to complicated and I think most people know about weights.
I'm happy that people have totally ignored my post in this thread. i'm gong to repeat myself. It is NOT complicated if you know the dynamics of the game these KIDS are playing.

Upper body strength for these guys at the combine, most of them being 15 to 17 years old, means NOTHING. I'd like to know the squat numbers though because lower body strength is everything in hockey. Skating, balance on your skates and hockey sense are the most important factors for these KIDS. Is a good bench going to help your skating? Hockey strength is about core strength and legs. Being able to stay on your feet.

Most, if not all of them play between 65-80 junior games a year as well as go to school as well as practice every other day. Getting "pumped up" is not even on their minds.

If your future possible career depended on your legs would you spend what little time you have to lift so you could be a weight room wonder or would you work on what you NEED to work on to function in your sport?

If you are either playing a game or at practice 200 times a year and working with a tutor to keep up with your school work (because you are 15-17 years old) are you going to "hit the gym" everyday so you can look sharp on the bench?

That is also why 95% of the kids drafted by the NHL come with the "has to work on his upper body strength" tag. That is also why 99% of these KIDS won't sniff the NHL for 2-3 years, until they are 20-21 years old, when they have filled out a lot more and have had time to get stronger and have been put on the proper diet and program by professional weight trainers. These are natural athletes, all of them, but most of them are just skinny KIDS that have not filled out yet.

^ what he said..ignorant people

lmao. yall can say what you want, but its still pathetic. no one is saying they should be able to bench 400 pounds. but when i was in 8th grade before i even touched weights i could do 150 pounds.

no one is saying bench matters in hockey, but fact is, its pathetic.

Let me get this straight, because these 17 year old kids have no upper body strength or no time to lift weights, '' hockey isn't the toughest sport in the world and these guys aren't gods and all '' ? What does lifting weights have to do with being tough ? According to that simple rapport, if all these kids did 30 sets at 200 as a warm-up then they'd garner your respect and the NHL would be considered ''tough''.

I know far too many guys that lift weights to mask their insecurities, look like UFC bubblegums, walk around the household like shirtless simpletons stopping in front of their bathroom mirrors to flex. Sadly, in most of these cases, when push comes to shove, they cut and run like the soft *****cats they are on the inside.

They could have fresh shoulder injuries that they really don't report that often in Hockey.

When I played football...I could bench the 235 "rep" mark easily...and use it as my close to a 3 set workout at 135....I used to do 235...5 times...and maybe up to 10 if I pushed myself...fearing injury...I never tried.

I dislocated one shoulder....and could barely push 135 without extreme pain...and this is after the injury healed.

it took me a full year to work back up to my original strength.

Back
Top Bottom