wtf?@NHL combine.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

wtf?@NHL combine..

I love it when people who know NOTHING about a topic comment on it...

It's like me going into a heart surgery thread and bashing the surgeon's technique.

Huge stretch. I know enough about strength training and sports to comment about strength. It's fine that Hockey is all about lower body strength, it's just those numbers are still pathetic.

When I think of Hockey players, I think of strong guys. I guess it's not about that.

The topic was about him being confused about why these players are so weak. Why make a comment like "don't speak unless you know something about it" when he was clearly confused as to why they were so weak.

Now the shoulder injury thing Section said would make a lot of light into why their reps were so bad. I really hate when people tell other people to shut up just because they don't know absolutely everything about a specific sport, especially when discussing weight training WHICH we do know about.

Being "ripped" is not going to help you 90% of the time in hockey, in fact it may slow you down. Upper body strength for these guys at the combine, most of them being 15 to 17 years old, means NOTHING. I'd like to know the squat numbers though because lower body strength is everything in hockey.

Skating, balance on your skates and hockey sense are the most important factors for these KIDS. Most, if not all of them play between 65-80 junior games a year as well as go to school as well as practice every other day. Getting "pumped up" is not even on their minds. If your future possible career depended on your legs would you spend time so you could be a weight room wonder or would you work on what you NEED to work on to function in your sport? If you are either playing a game or at practice 200 times a year and working with a tutor to keep up with your school work (because you are 15-17 years old) are you going to "hit the gym" everyday so you can look sharp on the bench?

That is also why 95% of the kids drafted by the NHL come with the "has to work on his upper body strength" tag. That is also why 99% of these KIDS won't sniff the NHL for 2-3 years, until they are 20-21 years old, when they have filled out a lot more and have had time to get stronger and have been put on the proper diet and program by professional weight trainers. These are natural athletes, all of them, but most of them are just skinny KIDS that have not filled out yet.

As for the "hockey is the toughest sport in the world and these guys are gods and all :rolleyes2" comment, obvious sarcasm, do not insult things you do not know about and from the negative tone of this thread NONE of you know enough about the game to comment on it.

To be honest, I don't give a damn about balance and what-not. If you used your brain, you'd realize that's not what this thread is about.

I liked your "don't bash what you don't know about" comment too, because you don't know me, so keep my name out of your mouth.

To be honest, I don't give a damn about balance and what-not. If you used your brain, you'd realize that's not what this thread is about.

I liked your "don't bash what you don't know about" comment too, because you don't know me, so keep my name out of your mouth.

Remind me how much you know about hockey. Don't like what I have to say, use the ignore button. I hope you don't though because it is amusing.

Huge stretch. I know enough about strength training and sports to comment about strength. It's fine that Hockey is all about lower body strength, it's just those numbers are still pathetic.

When I think of Hockey players, I think of strong guys. I guess it's not about that.

The topic was about him being confused about why these players are so weak. Why make a comment like "don't speak unless you know something about it" when he was clearly confused as to why they were so weak.

Now the shoulder injury thing Section said would make a lot of light into why their reps were so bad. I really hate when people tell other people to shut up just because they don't know absolutely everything about a specific sport, especially when discussing weight training WHICH we do know about.
I only commented on people laughing at a sport which they know nothing about and I'm willing to bet that the same people laughing at these kids bench press results are the same people who's hockey knowledge could fit into an egg cup.

The shoulder injuries comment by Section is actually quite possible. All these kids just played 60-80 game seasons and have been playing hockey for a solid 8 months. Hockey players are famous for not letting injuries known.

PROFESSIONAL hockey players are strong and have more courage then professional athletes in any other sport (football is equal). These KIDS are not professional. The median age of the players at the combine is about 16 years old. Like I've said already in this thread, they are worried about skating, balance on their skates and core strength not about bench press or upper body strength. That is why all of them come with the "has to get stronger" tag.

When these KIDS fill out, get with NHL training staffs and focus 100% of their time on their HOCKEY and get to their early 20's their bench numbers and upper body strength will improve drastically.

Okay, I'll remember to never comment on anything again unless I have a post graduate degree on the topic, sir. That is, unless I get your approval first.

By the way, I love this gem:

PROFESSIONAL hockey players are strong and have more courage then professional athletes in any other sport (football is equal).

What you did here was just wax your entire argument with a big wad of hypocrisy. You want to tell me that I can't talk about anything unless I know about it, or whatever, and now you're going out and generalizing that your big bad sport is the toughest. I have a feeling you don't know the half of it.

[youtube]UcgmDAzDwy8[/youtube]

You don't even have a clue. Yeah, and don't tell me what I can and cannot post. :dunce:

Being "ripped" is not going to help you 90% of the time in hockey, in fact it may slow you down. Upper body strength for these guys at the combine, most of them being 15 to 17 years old, means NOTHING. I'd like to know the squat numbers though because lower body strength is everything in hockey.

Skating, balance on your skates and hockey sense are the most important factors for these KIDS. Most, if not all of them play between 65-80 junior games a year as well as go to school as well as practice every other day. Getting "pumped up" is not even on their minds. If your future possible career depended on your legs would you spend time so you could be a weight room wonder or would you work on what you NEED to work on to function in your sport? If you are either playing a game or at practice 200 times a year and working with a tutor to keep up with your school work (because you are 15-17 years old) are you going to "hit the gym" everyday so you can look sharp on the bench?

That is also why 95% of the kids drafted by the NHL come with the "has to work on his upper body strength" tag. That is also why 99% of these KIDS won't sniff the NHL for 2-3 years, until they are 20-21 years old, when they have filled out a lot more and have had time to get stronger and have been put on the proper diet and program by professional weight trainers. These are natural athletes, all of them, but most of them are just skinny KIDS that have not filled out yet.

As for the "hockey is the toughest sport in the world and these guys are gods and all :rolleyes2" comment, obvious sarcasm, do not insult things you do not know about and from the negative tone of this thread NONE of you know enough about the game to comment on it.

Need stat's?Then this is your guy...:lol: Truth be told most of these "Kids" would rock most of you gymrats,these guys have been in more fights during thier hockey careers than most of you have even seen.Bench press,curls,sqwats....blah,blah,blah who cares.Never under estimate the toughness of a hockey player.

lmao. yall can say what you want, but its still pathetic. no one is saying they should be able to bench 400 pounds. but when i was in 8th grade before i even touched weights i could do 150 pounds.

no one is saying bench matters in hockey, but fact is, its pathetic.
How is it pathetic if its not relevant? I can bench 315 for 3 sets of 8-10 reps a shot and I cant skate a lick in real life. Lot of good that great bench would do me as a hockey player eh? :err:

Get 'em Uni!

hmmm...

The tone of this thread reminds me of something Mark Twain once said...

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

hmmm...

The tone of this thread reminds me of something Mark Twain once said...

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Okay, was that really necessary to bring up. You want to just pop in here and call me a fool for starting a thread. Grow up dude.

I should have just posted this in the lounge where people have a sense of humor. Clearly you missed the point of the thread dude, so don't try and take little jabs at me. Get over it.

How is it pathetic if its not relevant? I can bench 315 for 3 sets of 8-10 reps a shot and I cant skate a lick in real life. Lot of good that great bench would do me as a hockey player eh? :err:

did i say it was pathetic for hockey players, or did i just say it was pathetic either way? hmmmmm

Okay, was that really necessary to bring up. You want to just pop in here and call me a fool for starting a thread. Grow up dude.

I should have just posted this in the lounge where people have a sense of humor. Clearly you missed the point of the thread dude, so don't try and take little jabs at me. Get over it.

i dont see any humor....

I only commented on people laughing at a sport which they know nothing about and I'm willing to bet that the same people laughing at these kids bench press results are the same people who's hockey knowledge could fit into an egg cup.

The shoulder injuries comment by Section is actually quite possible. All these kids just played 60-80 game seasons and have been playing hockey for a solid 8 months. Hockey players are famous for not letting injuries known.

PROFESSIONAL hockey players are strong and have more courage then professional athletes in any other sport (football is equal). These KIDS are not professional. The median age of the players at the combine is about 16 years old. Like I've said already in this thread, they are worried about skating, balance on their skates and core strength not about bench press or upper body strength. That is why all of them come with the "has to get stronger" tag.

When these KIDS fill out, get with NHL training staffs and focus 100% of their time on their HOCKEY and get to their early 20's their bench numbers and upper body strength will improve drastically.

Oh, then I misunderstood. My bad. :)

Are you aware that a "bench press" motion in Hockey is basically cross-checking ... an offense that will get you 2 mins. in the penalty box?

Just a question ...

Back
Top Bottom