Yahoo article showing Pennington some love | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yahoo article showing Pennington some love

TakeOne

Wade... to the Moon.
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-morningrush120808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

For all of the obvious catalysts for Miami’s culture change – starting with vice president of football operations Bill Parcells, who brought in 29 new players and a long record of turning around franchises in his former coaching life, and Tony Sparano, Parcells’ hand-picked rookie coach whose no-nonsense, anti-schmoozer persona removed the stench of overmatched predecessor Cam Cameron – the third member of the holy trinity may be the biggest reason the Dolphins have done so much, so soon.
“Getting that guy,” linebacker and NFL sack leader Joey Porter said after Sunday’s game, pointing across the locker room to Pennington, “was the main thing.”

Immediately following a team meeting the night before a preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars shortly after his arrival, Pennington told the offensive skill players to stay behind for a private cram session.
The responses ranged from eye-rolls to double-takes to clenched fists.
“At first we were like, ‘Ughhhhhhhh,’ ” recalled halfback Ricky Williams, who rushed for 40 yards on 11 carries in his return to Toronto (where he played for the CFL’s Argonauts during a season-long suspension from the NFL two seasons ago). “Then, after awhile, we started understanding. He just likes to know. He likes to know what we’re thinking in every situation, and ultimately that’s good for us.”

Nice post and a good article. I found the part about the Pennington "players only" meeting to be particuarly interesting.

The guy, plain and simple is leader. A true field general.

When I first heard of Pennington coming here I was critical of the move. With him being a NY Jet, his lack of arm strength, age and injury history, I didn't even consider the fact that he didnt cost this franchise anything to aqquire(other than wayne's hard earned money). What a wonderful season!

Back
Top Bottom