Yankees lost $50 to $85 million for 2005 season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yankees lost $50 to $85 million for 2005 season

I find these numbers hard to believe. Every major league team claims to be losing money yet they keep increasing payrolls and player salaries. Why would you keep a 200million dollar payroll when your losing 10s of millions? MLB is always crying poor and I just dont buy it. When the next CBA is up we will see. If they cave into the players again you will know this stuff is BS.

finfansince72 said:
I find these numbers hard to believe. Every major league team claims to be losing money yet they keep increasing payrolls and player salaries. Why would you keep a 200million dollar payroll when your losing 10s of millions? MLB is always crying poor and I just dont buy it. When the next CBA is up we will see. If they cave into the players again you will know this stuff is BS.

That's because the money the Yankees make on their TV deal is very private. MLB is thinking about hiring an investigator to see exactly how much they make on the station. It was all in the article.

The yankees have been operating in the RED for years. This is hardly news.

I thought it was bad when your in the red. How do they keep spending and stuff like that? Sorry, just a little confused

soccerphinsfan7 said:
I thought it was bad when your in the red. How do they keep spending and stuff like that? Sorry, just a little confused

It does'nt matter...the Yankees make a mint from the YES network.

soccerphinsfan7 said:

When u go into the hundreds of millions (or billions of dollars) being in the red doesn't really mean anything. If your worth a billion dollars and lose 80 million in value, your still worth 920 million right? That's still a lot of money. If your a local business worth 1,000 and you lose 2,000, then in your in debt. With the Yankees, they just turn to new things to generate money!

soccerphinsfan7 said:

The YES Network and the Yankees are 2 different businesses. If the Yankess operate $50 mill in the red. But YES is operating $200 mill in the black.....it all works out.

(those aren't exact numbers just an example_)

MikeO said:
The YES Network and the Yankees are 2 different businesses. If the Yankess operate $50 mill in the red. But YES is operating $200 mill in the black.....it all works out.

(those aren't exact numbers just an example_)

Indeed. The Yanks would never run YES as an arm of the Yankees (even if, unofficially, that's precisely what it is) for fear of having to share all that revenue down the road with other teams.

did any of you see jessie "the body" ventura completly rip in to MLB for paying outragous salaries, then complain they are losing money.

ch19079 said:
did any of you see jessie "the body" ventura completly rip in to MLB for paying outragous salaries, then complain they are losing money.

He's right!

Team A will sign a player for $50 mill over 3 years then go cry they are going broke. Well, if your broke don't give out huge contracts.

Overall reported revenue - 335 mil (60 mil from YES network)
Payroll - 200 mil + 75 milrevenue sharing + 35 mil luxury tax + operating costs

Losses are about 50-80 mil depending on how much you believe they got from YES. YES's reported earnings were 220 mil, with the Yankees controlling a 35% share. George is also about half a billion in debt, most of it borrowed off the earnings of YES. But who knows how much he has squirreled away in trusts.

Ferretsquig said:
Overall reported revenue - 335 mil (60 mil from YES network)
Payroll - 200 mil + 75 milrevenue sharing + 35 mil luxury tax + operating costs

Losses are about 50-80 mil depending on how much you believe they got from YES. YES's reported earnings were 220 mil, with the Yankees controlling a 35% share. George is also about half a billion in debt, most of it borrowed off the earnings of YES. But who knows how much he has squirreled away in trusts.

I dont believe any of this nonsense about these guys being debt or their franchises losing money. Not for a second. These teams are worth a fortune and they make a fortune. No one would sign a player to a 100million dollar contract when they are losing money. They need to stop selling this nonsense, no one is buyin it.

Back
Top Bottom