Yankees manager doesn't appear happy about Boss' recent criticism | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yankees manager doesn't appear happy about Boss' recent criticism

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
New York Yankees manager Joe Torre doesn't appear pleased with the latest criticisms from his boss, owner George Steinbrenner, the Harftord Courant reported Thursday.

In response to the Boss' rebuke of Torre's strategy during the Yankees' 2-1 defeat to the White Sox on Tuesday, Torre told the Courant, "I'm going to address Mr. Steinbrenner's comments at the end of the season. Keep a list of all the things you want to ask me and I'll come up with the answers."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8914403/

I can't wait to hear that interview. Should be good. Like I said a few times I just don't think Torre cares anymore especially with all the problems he had to deal with this year and the egos and characters of the team.

Yawn...

The Yankees aren't really mired in a race as of now this year. Thus, I don't care about them.

Steinbrenner is a joke. He's nothing but a babbling idiot. Go ahead and drive out one of the best coaches the game has ever seen, and we'll be sure to ship you Grady Little, or better yet, Jimy Williams. :lol:

P.S. Where did that World Series Champion - New York Yankees thread go? Seems to have fallen off the first page. I think FinsNYank lost all hope for that team.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Steinbrenner is a joke. He's nothing but a babbling idiot. Go ahead and drive out one of the best coaches the game has ever seen, and we'll be sure to ship you Grady Little, or better yet, Jimy Williams. :lol:

P.S. Where did that World Series Champion - New York Yankees thread go? Seems to have fallen off the first page. I think FinsNYank lost all hope for that team.

:eek: :lol:

FaninPatsyLand said:

I think you're overrating Joe Torre's managerial skills. He's a GREAT clubhouse manager. The players respect him and he keeps the peace within the clubhouse. However the fact is probably anyone on the planet could have managed the Yankees to those 4 championships (96,98,99 and 2000) because they had so much freakin talent and were so good. After 2000 Torre's flaws showed because the talent of the team was gone. Torre blew Game 7 of the 2001 WS, to this day I still don't understand why he had the infield in in the 9th, they should have been playing for a DP. In 2004 in the playoffs he mismanagered many times like bringing in Tom Gordon when he couldn't get anyone out that series. I know I'm just to catch a lot of heat because of my comments. But I stand by them. Torre is no Bobby Cox (yes I know Torre has won more World Series then Cox but if Cox was managing the Yankees since 1996 I bet you they would have won 8 championships by now)

Ray Finkle said:
I think you're overrating Joe Torre's managerial skills. He's a GREAT clubhouse manager. The players respect him and he keeps the peace within the clubhouse. However the fact is probably anyone on the planet could have managed the Yankees to those 4 championships (96,98,99 and 2000) because they had so much freakin talent and were so good. After 2000 Torre's flaws showed because the talent of the team was gone. Torre blew Game 7 of the 2001 WS, to this day I still don't understand why he had the infield in in the 9th, they should have been playing for a DP. In 2004 in the playoffs he mismanagered many times like bringing in Tom Gordon when he couldn't get anyone out that series. I know I'm just to catch a lot of heat because of my comments. But I stand by them. Torre is no Bobby Cox (yes I know Torre has won more World Series then Cox but if Cox was managing the Yankees since 1996 I bet you they would have won 8 championships by now)

You don't want me to run off how many RECENT Red Sox managers that wouldn't have been able to win anything. I already mentioned 2 in my previous thread, and sometimes I wonder if Francona just got lucky last year.

So all of a sudden Torre isn't a great manager cause he didn't have his infield alligned correctly in ONE at bat? You have got to be joking. As far as the 2004 overuse of Gordon, Quantrill and Rivera, you don't think that had anything to do with ineffectiveness of the rest of their relievers? You might wanna take a glance at the number of appearences that Embree, Timlin and Foulke had last year. Hell, Timlin and Schilling have been overworked this year.

Bobby Cox has had some GREAT teams in Atlanta, and didn't win a single thing meaningful with them. If anything, he's overrated. He's NOTHING without Mazzilli and one of the best GM's in sports.

Torre is a GREAT manager, and that's a fact.

FaninPatsyLand said:
You don't want me to run off how many RECENT Red Sox managers that wouldn't have been able to win anything. I already mentioned 2 in my previous thread, and sometimes I wonder if Francona just got lucky last year.

So all of a sudden Torre isn't a great manager cause he didn't have his infield alligned correctly in ONE at bat? You have got to be joking. As far as the 2004 overuse of Gordon, Quantrill and Rivera, you don't think that had anything to do with ineffectiveness of the rest of their relievers? You might wanna take a glance at the number of appearences that Embree, Timlin and Foulke had last year. Hell, Timlin and Schilling have been overworked this year.

Bobby Cox has had some GREAT teams in Atlanta, and didn't win a single thing meaningful with them. If anything, he's overrated. He's NOTHING without Mazzilli and one of the best GM's in sports.

That would be Mazzone, but the fact that he has gotten some of those teams to the playoffs is amazing. He and Mazzone squeeze every last bit of everything from their players. Take it from a fan who has been looking up at them for 13 years.

Keep in mind, Torre did not have good runs with St. Louis or Atlanta.

RWhitney014 said:
That would be Mazzone, but the fact that he has gotten some of those teams to the playoffs is amazing. He and Mazzone squeeze every last bit of everything from their players. Take it from a fan who has been looking up at them for 13 years.

Keep in mind, Torre did not have good runs with St. Louis or Atlanta.

My bad, I got the O's on my mind. :lol:

I'm not saying he's the greatest manager of all time, but Torre has had a hell of a run in NY.

FaninPatsyLand said:
My bad, I got the O's on my mind. :lol:

I'm not saying he's the greatest manager of all time, but Torre has had a hell of a run in NY.

I'm not a Yankee fan,but Torre is a class act in my book.He puts up with way too much sh** from George.

FaninPatsyLand said:

That was ONE example. Like I said before Torre is a GREAT clubhouse manager but when it comes to on the field he's a bit overrated. He mismanages a lot, if you watched the Yankees half as much as the Sox you'd pull your hair out at some of the moves he's made. Overuse is probably a reason why his relievers weren't in top form however the fact that Tom Gordon has given up at least one run in every single playoff appearance is a very telling tale. Plus the fact that the Sox knocked around Gordon like it was batting practice. Torre uses the same formula all the time however sometimes that doesn't work.

Cox did have GREAT teams in Atlanta the problem was the Yankees were always better. Like I said anyone including could have led the Yankees to those titles they were just that good.

Torre is the best manager for the Yanks, maybe he isnt the game manager that some are but with the Yankees the job is more of massaging egos and withstanding the Boss and the media. Torre has handled that job better than anyone. People seem to forget that the Yankees werent that great before he got there, they missed the playoffs for Don Mattingly's entire career basically and Showalter couldnt do much either. Torre might not be the kind of guy that can make a bad team good, but he really does do the best job that anyone can do with the Yanks.
The Yanks are a flawed team this year, they arent good enough.

yawn.......who cares. Another day in NY

George should just shut up, I'm so sick of him. He ruined our latest dynasty but wants to blame everyone else.

finfansince72 said:
Torre is the best manager for the Yanks, maybe he isnt the game manager that some are but with the Yankees the job is more of massaging egos and withstanding the Boss and the media. Torre has handled that job better than anyone. People seem to forget that the Yankees werent that great before he got there, they missed the playoffs for Don Mattingly's entire career basically and Showalter couldnt do much either. Torre might not be the kind of guy that can make a bad team good, but he really does do the best job that anyone can do with the Yanks.
The Yanks are a flawed team this year, they arent good enough.

I agree Torre is the best man for the Yankee job. However I do think this is his last year. Which means up next Joe Giradi (spelling?) Anyway you can't kill Showalter, because he played a major part in the Yankee dynasty by basically getting the players he wanted and built around their farm system. If the strike didn't happen in 1994 the Yankees had a very good chance to be in the WS and win it. Also Buck got the Yankees into the postseason in 1995. I personally hate Showalter but he did get the wheels in motion for the Yankee domination to begin.

Back
Top Bottom