Yanks eye Pettite come Mid-Season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yanks eye Pettite come Mid-Season

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
MikeO said:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spflash054614925feb05,0,5696119,print.column?coll=ny-sports-print

Backloaded contract that Houston might not be able to pay. He has a no-trade clause though. Says Boston would also want to acquire him, but would Andy go there???

Big question in my opinion; is he damaged goods???? That arm problem is always acting up and I don't think he can be trusted anymore for any length of time.

The Yankees apparently thought he was damaged goods or that was at least there excuse for not signing him/being able to sign him.

I don't understand how Houston might not be able to pay him. They could afford to pay Clemens 20 million last year and Pettite was making 8.5 million. Assuming Clemens does come back to the Astros around May he won't get 20 million. He'll probably get around 10 to 15 so the Astros are only adding 5 million more dollars, however factoring in the money they'll collect from insurance on Bagwell's contract (17 mill in 2006, 18 mill in 2007 with an 7 mill buy out) Houston would be fine keeping Pettite. Plus the spike in ticket sales from Clemens coming back.

Also I know you're just the messager but I'm not sure Pettite has a no trade clause, I went to two contract sites and none of them said he had one. But they could be wrong, I'm just saying.

Also who can the Yankees give up fro get Pettite? I'm sure there's going to be a lot of teams going after a proven lefty. I'm sure Houston's asking price will be high (at least Cano and Wang, possibly Duncan too). Do the Yankees have enough to get him?

Ray Finkle said:
The Yankees apparently thought he was damaged goods or that was at least there excuse for not signing him/being able to sign him.

I don't understand how Houston might not be able to pay him. They could afford to pay Clemens 20 million last year and Pettite was making 8.5 million. Assuming Clemens does come back to the Astros around May he won't get 20 million. He'll probably get around 10 to 15 so the Astros are only adding 5 million more dollars, however factoring in the money they'll collect from insurance on Bagwell's contract (17 mill in 2006, 18 mill in 2007 with an 7 mill buy out) Houston would be fine keeping Pettite. Plus the spike in ticket sales from Clemens coming back.

Also I know you're just the messager but I'm not sure Pettite has a no trade clause, I went to two contract sites and none of them said he had one. But they could be wrong, I'm just saying.

The Yanks offered Andy MORE money than Houston, Andy just went to Houston. So., they didn't view him as damaged goods.

Houston (Like Florida) has this SMALL MARKET one day, BIG MARKET the next day complex as well. Pick one. Either you want to spend money and play with the big boys or you don't!

I believe the no trade clause thing. He was very paticular on where he went to play when hew as a FA. He won't just let himself be traded anywhere or play anywhere. He has Houston handcuffed to where probably the ONLY place they can trade him is to the Yanks.

AND........the Yanks have stuff to give up via trade! Good god, this "they have no farm system" thing is getting old. People, just because you say it and believe it doens't mean its true!

MikeO said:
The Yanks offered Andy MORE money than Houston, Andy just went to Houston. So., they didn't view him as damaged goods.

Houston (Like Florida) has this SMALL MARKET one day, BIG MARKET the next day complex as well. Pick one. Either you want to spend money and play with the big boys or you don't!

I believe the no trade clause thing. He was very paticular on where he went to play when hew as a FA. He won't just let himself be traded anywhere or play anywhere. He has Houston handcuffed to where probably the ONLY place they can trade him is to the Yanks.

AND........the Yanks have stuff to give up via trade! Good god, this "they have no farm system" thing is getting old. People, just because you say it and believe it doens't mean its true!

Yes the Yankees did offer him more money, however when Pettite left, the F.O. started with the concerns for his elbow/arm stuff.

Houston has been spending money the past few years.

When was the last time the Yankees made a big trade with their prospects/farm system to get a good player (which they would have to do trying to get Pettite)? All I'm saying is if the Yankees will have the amount of prospects to land Pettite, because Houston is going to hold them for ransom as Houston should with any team.

Honestly, when Andy left I remember doing cardio in the gym and watching on espn's bottomline that he was leaving for Houston. My heart dropped into my stomach and I immediately left and went home (the same thing happened to me when I read Pat Tillman was killed on bottomline a different time). Andy needs to comeback to pinstripes, not only because of his talent, but because he should have never left. This was a George move all the way (letting him go) and I hope George either makes this trade by the deadline of goes after him hard in free agency. The Boss owes him and Pettitte's career should end in pinstripes, PERIOD!

I think Pettite is a decent pitcher, but Houston has been slow starters the last couple years. I don't think they'll trade him especially if Clemens re-signs with them after May 1st, or whenever he is eligible. Is anybody afraid of the Yankees anymore? Most people assumed that it would be another Yankees/Red Sox ALCS last year, but both got knocked off and not many people expected either team to lose. Mussina/Johnson/Chacon/Pavano/Wright is not a bad 5, maybe even Aaron Small is in there, but I don't think the Yankees or Red Sox are as good as the White Sox or the Angels, and maybe not even as good as the Indians or A's. Pettie would help the Yanks because I think he can be counted on in the playoffs, while I don't think Pavano or Wright have what it takes to be successful in NYC, and Mussina and Johnson are not nearly as good as they once were.

Isn't Pettitte from the Houston area? Why leave? $$$$$? of course. :confused:

FtheJets187 said:
Pettitte back in pinstripes would be huge....HUGE!

I could certainly see this happening. Don't know if he will want to come to the Sox and face Johnny D. like backlash from dumb fans. Hopefully Pettitte stays in the NL with Houston, because if he isn't hurt we all know what he brings to the table..

Roman529 said:
Isn't Pettitte from the Houston area? Why leave? $$$$$? of course. :confused:

First you have to consider the source which is News Day. They haven't reported anything right this off season and their papers have been filled with wild rumors and pure speculation (which the Pettite article is, not to say that it shouldn't be talked about but doesn't really have much fact to it). Why would Houston be talking about trading Pettite now? It makes no sense. If Houston falls out of the race then sure I could see why the Astros would consider this. Just like if the Red Sox or Yankees fell out of the race I'm sure they would think about trading a Schilling or Mussina (or other guys on their last years of their contract).

Pettite isn't about the money, because if he was he would have stayed with the Yankees because they offered him the most money.

djfresh47 said:
but I don't think the Yankees or Red Sox are as good as the White Sox or the Angels, and maybe not even as good as the Indians or A's.

Rotation wise? If that's your point, then I could see an arguement for that. But if you are talking about teams in general, then there's no way the Angels are a better all around team than the Red Sox or Yankees.

What have the Angels done to improve themselves since the end of last season? The Red Sox have improved dramatically in the bullpen and defensively and the Yankees got one of the best Centerfielders in baseball, and probably the best leadoff hitter in the game.

I don't see where the Angels improved?

FaninPatsyLand said:
Rotation wise? If that's your point, then I could see an arguement for that. But if you are talking about teams in general, then there's no way the Angels are a better all around team than the Red Sox or Yankees.

What have the Angels done to improve themselves since the end of last season? The Red Sox have improved dramatically in the bullpen and defensively and the Yankees got one of the best Centerfielders in baseball, and probably the best leadoff hitter in the game.

I agree with your post totally. I think ChiSox have the best rotation in the AL, if not baseball. However I don't like Chicago's pen at all. Hermanson is a huge question mark with his injury past, also that he hasn't been a very good pitcher when healthy. The ChiSox also lost Marte and Luis Vizicano. I'll take the Red Sox bullpen of Foulke, Timlin, Taravez, Saenez, Riske, and Arroyo/Papelbon over Jenks, Pollite, Hermanson, McCarthy, and Cotts.

The Angels haven't done anything this offseason and if anything they have gotten worse with the loss of Bengie Molina and Paul Byrd.

As for the Indians or the A's, both Sox and Yankees are better than those teams too. Both Cleveland and the A's in my opinion are very good and up and coming teams. I personally think the A's could possibly win the West this year. I think Cleveland will be in the WC hunt towards the end of the season but I don't like the moves they made this offseason. They really weakened their pen.

I agree that teams don't fear or are afraid of the Yankees as they once were. That's obivous.

FaninPatsyLand said:

Why not? I don't think the Red Sox are a better team than they were last year. The Angels were perhaps one questionable call away from the World Series last season. Josh Beckett is a good pickup, but how healthy is he, ever? Crisp is a decent player, but nothing to get worked up about. I'm probably in the minority because I just laugh at Damon's noodle arm and think while he's a good player he's a liability because he's got no arm and is what 32? I think everybody is so accustomed to seeing the Red Sox and Yankees in the playoffs, but I think this year one of them will fall off.

Ray Finkle said:
I agree with your post totally. I think ChiSox have the best rotation in the AL, if not baseball. However I don't like Chicago's pen at all. Hermanson is a huge question mark with his injury past, also that he hasn't been a very good pitcher when healthy. The ChiSox also lost Marte and Luis Vizicano. I'll take the Red Sox bullpen of Foulke, Timlin, Taravez, Saenez, Riske, and Arroyo/Papelbon over Jenks, Pollite, Hermanson, McCarthy, and Cotts.

The Angels haven't done anything this offseason and if anything they have gotten worse with the loss of Bengie Molina and Paul Byrd.

As for the Indians or the A's, both Sox and Yankees are better than those teams too. Both Cleveland and the A's in my opinion are very good and up and coming teams. I personally think the A's could possibly win the West this year. I think Cleveland will be in the WC hunt towards the end of the season but I don't like the moves they made this offseason. They really weakened their pen.

I agree that teams don't fear or are afraid of the Yankees as they once were. That's obivous.

Marte and Vizicano were not trusted down the stretch, and every time they went in I expected them to give up the lead. The bullpen means alot, but the Chisox pitchers go deep into games, Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland just ate innings last year. Hermanson needs to be healthy, but I like the idea of Politte in the 7th, Cotts in the 8th, and Jenks to close it out. If Jenks can get his curveball consistently in the strike zone, I think he's gonna have a huge year.

djfresh47 said:
Why not? I don't think the Red Sox are a better team than they were last year. The Angels were perhaps one questionable call away from the World Series last season. Josh Beckett is a good pickup, but how healthy is he, ever? Crisp is a decent player, but nothing to get worked up about. I'm probably in the minority because I just laugh at Damon's noodle arm and think while he's a good player he's a liability because he's got no arm and is what 32? I think everybody is so accustomed to seeing the Red Sox and Yankees in the playoffs, but I think this year one of them will fall off.

That's an interesting opinion, I don't agree with any of it, but that's why they play the games.

The Angels were one play away from perhaps a World Series trip, but they lost their Gold Glove top tier Catcher they haven't really added anything to their mix. If anything, they've taken a step backwards. They still have a dreadful Steve Finley and the artist formerly known as Garrett Anderson, who's another year older. I don't see what everyone likes about that team, they haven't done a thing to better themselves.

The Red Sox have improved, I think that's pretty clear provided everyone stays healthy. Their bullpen went through a complete overhaul and has improved more than any other team in baseball. Beckett was a great addition to the rotation. As far as the Centerfield situation, you can't have it both ways, you state Crisp is a nice player but nothing to get excited about. Then you turn around and knock Damon for having no arm? So basically, you are admitting the Red Sox have improved defensively since Crisp is an upgrade over Damon. Both Lowell and Gonzalez are defensive upgrades over Mueller and Renteria, respectively. Offensively, Loretta has potential to be the the best 2nd baseman in the AL, by far. I just don't see how anyone can actually believe the Red Sox haven't improved, they are kidding themselves.

Anyway, just my two cents. Goodluck this year...

Back
Top Bottom