Yanks eye Pettite come Mid-Season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yanks eye Pettite come Mid-Season

FaninPatsyLand said:
That's an interesting opinion, I don't agree with any of it, but that's why they play the games.

The Angels were one play away from perhaps a World Series trip, but they lost their Gold Glove top tier Catcher they haven't really added anything to their mix. If anything, they've taken a step backwards. They still have a dreadful Steve Finley and the artist formerly known as Garrett Anderson, who's another year older. I don't see what everyone likes about that team, they haven't done a thing to better themselves.

The Red Sox have improved, I think that's pretty clear provided everyone stays healthy. Their bullpen went through a complete overhaul and has improved more than any other team in baseball. Beckett was a great addition to the rotation. As far as the Centerfield situation, you can't have it both ways, you state Crisp is a nice player but nothing to get excited about. Then you turn around and knock Damon for having no arm? So basically, you are admitting the Red Sox have improved defensively since Crisp is an upgrade over Damon. Both Lowell and Gonzalez are defensive upgrades over Mueller and Renteria, respectively. Offensively, Loretta has potential to be the the best 2nd baseman in the AL, by far. I just don't see how anyone can actually believe the Red Sox haven't improved, they are kidding themselves.

Anyway, just my two cents. Goodluck this year...

You think the Blue Jays will make a jump to compete this year? They overpaid for Burnett but having him and Halladay at the top of the rotation should give them an opportunity atleast to stay competitive in the East.

djfresh47 said:
You think the Blue Jays will make a jump to compete this year? They overpaid for Burnett but having him and Halladay at the top of the rotation should give them an opportunity atleast to stay competitive in the East.

I think the AL East is going to be a three horse race. I'm not sold on the Jays' staff, outside of the best pitcher in the division in Halladay. However, with that lineup, I just see them pounding teams offensively. It's been proven you don't need good pitching to win in the regular season, but when October rolls around those teams are screwed.

I honestly don't know what to expect this year in terms of the AL East standings. I have the feeling that this Red Sox team has potential to be better than the 2004 edition, but maybe that's just the homer in me. Regardless, I really like the team the Red Sox are going to be going into the season with. Of course, and this is not to be understated, the key to the Red Sox season is Keith Foulke, it's that simple. If he's either a) ineffective or b) not healthy, the Red Sox are screwed.

The Yankees, well they're the Yankees. That's another team that really won't need their pitching until October rolls around, they're going to pound teams as well. But their true test will be later in the year when they do need that staff to step up, the question is... will it?... and that remains to be seen..

FaninPatsyLand said:
I think the AL East is going to be a three horse race. I'm not sold on the Jays' staff, outside of the best pitcher in the division in Halladay. However, with that lineup, I just see them pounding teams offensively. It's been proven you don't need good pitching to win in the regular season, but when October rolls around those teams are screwed.

I honestly don't know what to expect this year in terms of AL East standings. I have the feeling that this Red Sox team has potential to be better than the 2004 edition, but maybe that's just the homer in me. Regardless, I really like the team the Red Sox are going to be going into the season with.

The Yankees, well they're the Yankees. That's another team that really won't need their pitching until October rolls around, they're going to pound teams as well. But their true test will be later in the year when they do need that staff to step up, the question is... will it?... and that remains to be seen..

The thing I question about the Yankees is they bring in guys who I don't think can handle the pressure of NY. Also bringing in Farnsworth to me is a questionable move, the guy was alright last year but Leo Mazzone makes every pitcher much better. He's got good stuff, but he doesn't seem to have confidence at times and that gets him into control trouble. They are the Yankees though so regardless how far down they or the Red Sox get in the division, everybody expects them to be battling it out later in the year. Even when Baltimore got off to a decent start, I was hoping that the Yankees would not be a contender, but they just do it every year. I don't think the Yankees pitching in October, though. Johnson and Moose to me are not the dominant pitchers they once were and I don't know if Wright or Pavano can be good pitchers in NY.

djfresh47 said:
The thing I question about the Yankees is they bring in guys who I don't think can handle the pressure of NY. Also bringing in Farnsworth to me is a questionable move, the guy was alright last year but Leo Mazzone makes every pitcher much better. He's got good stuff, but he doesn't seem to have confidence at times and that gets him into control trouble. They are the Yankees though so regardless how far down they or the Red Sox get in the division, everybody expects them to be battling it out later in the year. Even when Baltimore got off to a decent start, I was hoping that the Yankees would not be a contender, but they just do it every year. I don't think the Yankees pitching in October, though. Johnson and Moose to me are not the dominant pitchers they once were and I don't know if Wright or Pavano can be good pitchers in NY.

I think some of their moves have everyone scratching their head. Farnsworth is a certified headcase, loose cannon whatever you want to call him. I think EVERYONE knew, Yankee fans included, that Wright was going to be a major bust. He just flat out sucks.. but when it's all said and done, the Yankees will be right there down the stretch.

I gotta get going, good talking with you. Hope to see you around these parts posting more about baseball this season. Again, goodluck to the ChiSox.

Back
Top Bottom