Yanks shouldn't ruin infield defense just because they didn't plan for future | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yanks shouldn't ruin infield defense just because they didn't plan for future

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Manager Joe Torre’s suggestion that the New York Yankees might move either Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez to center field isn’t shocking. What is, though, is the idea that the New York Yankees, the wealthiest and most powerful franchise in U.S. sports, failed to plan for the day when Bernie Williams could no longer play center field.

It is a blunder of monumental proportions. For many years, it’s been no secret that Williams’ arm was inadequate to the task of his position. For at least two years, it’s been as obvious as Mike Tyson’s facial tattoos that by the end of his contract after the 2005 season, Williams would be through as an every-day outfielder.

And now, more than a month after the end of that season, the Yankees are acting as if they’ve just noticed they not only don’t have a center fielder, they don’t have any idea of how to get one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10254870/

According to Brian Cashman the Yankees have never thought of it and that the reporter misquoted Torre.

This is from rotoworld.com:

"Yankees GM Brian Cashman said no thought was being given to moving either Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez to center field.
Cashman said the idea of moving either, "hasn't been discussed, hasn't been considered, hasn't come up in our organization meetings." Manager Joe Torre said his remarks yesterday were misinterpreted, that he only responded that either Jeter or A-Rod could handle the move to center if it was ever necessary."

There that for whatever its worth. In my opinion neither will move. Jeter will never give up his position and Arod has always said he's weakness defensively is going for fly balls. I think the Yankees could live with a Bubba Crosby type player in CF with their offense.

Neither one is moving, its obvious Torre was either just hypothetically speaking or was completely misquoted. This story is just stupid and I have to wonder how it even saw print.

I got news for you. Regardless of the bull**** gold glove that Jeter won, if you look at the statistics the left side of the Yankee infield was actually quite a bit below average last year.

Back
Top Bottom