Yanks trade Sheffield to Detroit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yanks trade Sheffield to Detroit

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Sheffield to Detriot for 3 young pitchers.

Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan, and Anthony Claggett,.

Sanchez is the real deal and will be in the majors in 07'. He is a very hard thrower. Whelan might end up being the best of the 3 in the long-term. All 3 are hard throwers and give NY some pitching depth in the minors as well as trade bait as well to make a move next July.

From ESPN::The 23-year-old Sanchez was a combined 10-6 with a 2.53 ERA and 129 strikeouts in 123 innings with Triple-A Toledo and Double-A Erie this year. Whelan, 22, was 4-1 with a 2.67 ERA and 27 saves for Class A Lakeland. Claggett, 22, was 7-2 with an 0.91 ERA and 14 saves for Class A West Michigan.

Sheff is happy cause now he get's his money and is with a GM and manager he likes.

This looks like a great deal, to get a promosing pitcher like that for a 38 year old OF coming off major injury. I liked Sheff but he, like ARod, didn't produce when we needed him most and I feel the return of Sheff and matsui is what doomed us against det. I wish Sheff luck.

good move by the yankees. i just wonder if they waited for soriano and lee to sign if they could have gotten more.

Ray Finkle said:
good move by the yankees. i just wonder if they waited for soriano and lee to sign if they could have gotten more.

Of course they could have gotten more in terms of a major league ready pitcher if they waited it out but # 1 they wanted Sheffield gone immediately so he would not be a distraction to the organization and # 2 they got exactly what they wanted for Sheff, 3 strong minor leaguers to help continue to build back this farm system. If the Yankees waited it out, sure, they could have gotten an major league pitcher to help now but that's now what they wanted, they obviously wanted prospects and Sanchez is one of the best so they pulled the trigger because they got what they wanted and more!

Young pitching is always a valuable commodity. The Yankees now have plenty of flexibility to turn prospects into immediate pitching help. Plus, they've got a bit more payroll flexibility now (even the Yankees have a spending limit).

And personally, from what I've read about these kids, it's hard to imagine the Yankees could have gotten much more for Sheffield.

As for the Tigers, I like the move for the most part, but I think they really needed a lefty power bat more than another righty. Still, Sheff adds plate patience to a lineup that has none, and is an honest-to-God 30 homer threat in a lineup that had a lot of guys coming off better-than-expected years (thus hinting at declines in 2007).

Ray Finkle said:

But they probably got sick of Sheff and his rants to the media though and didn't want to hear him anymore! lol

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Of course they could have gotten more in terms of a major league ready pitcher if they waited it out but # 1 they wanted Sheffield gone immediately so he would not be a distraction to the organization and # 2 they got exactly what they wanted for Sheff, 3 strong minor leaguers to help continue to build back this farm system. If the Yankees waited it out, sure, they could have gotten an major league pitcher to help now but that's now what they wanted, they obviously wanted prospects and Sanchez is one of the best so they pulled the trigger because they got what they wanted and more!

Sanchez is legit and a good arm!

MikeO said:
But they probably got sick of Sheff and his rants to the media though and didn't want to hear him anymore! lol

Hey I said it was a good move. I'm just wondering if they waited maybe they could have gotten more for him. It's not a knock on the Yankees but a team would get desperate when they didn't land a big bat and the Yanks could have taken advantage of it. I wonder if the news of the Red Sox winning the bid had anything to do with the Yankees pulling the trigger on the deal yesterday.

Ray Finkle said:
Hey I said it was a good move. I'm just wondering if they waited maybe they could have gotten more for him. It's not a knock on the Yankees but a team would get desperate when they didn't land a big bat and the Yanks could have taken advantage of it. I wonder if the news of the Red Sox winning the bid had anything to do with the Yankees pulling the trigger on the deal yesterday.

ESPN said the trade was done Tuesday. Sheff had to pass Detroit's physical which he took on Friday.

The Red Sox bidding had NOTHING to do with it.

Vertical Limit said:
None of them are proven pitchers, they're all projects. We'll see how they turn out.

doesn't matter. They got them for nothing.

Either Sheff walks and the Yanks get nothing. Or they trade him and they get 3 young pitchers who they can turn around and trade in July maybe for help wherever.

Even if they are all busts, it's a great trade. Although that Sanchez isn't a bust from all reports and he has high marks

fine move.... but, oh no... don't tell me the Yankees have gotten smart again...

are the dumb years over?

great deal for the yankees, now the media cannot ***** about how the yankees dont have prospects because the yankees now are loaded with pitching prospects, i mean humberto sanchez, i saw this kid pitch in the future's game and he was filthy a high 90's fasball with a nasty breaking ball

now we have sanchez, hughes, clippard, kennedy, and my fave of all the prospects outside of sanchez/hughes

dellin betances 6'9'' 215 lbs he pitched the day before in a league, the yankees tried him out and he was hitting 97 on the gun! 17 years old(now 18) hitting 97

he was projected first round but was planning on going to college so he fell and in the 8th round the yanks got him and he signed with them because he is from the bronx

Back
Top Bottom