Yanks win Igawa rights | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yanks win Igawa rights

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I will be curious to see how these Japanese players do this year.

Yeah me too. I mean all the scouts can say what they want about these players. Playing the game on the field is a whole other ballgame (no pun intended).

Ray Finkle said:
Mets once again came in 2nd posting 19 million.

The reports from the experts have been lukewarm at best (saying #3 starter at best but most likely a 4th or 5th starter). But since the Yankees have the money why not try him out?

true the yankees tied the league with the best record with karstens/rasner/lidle/wright all sharing parts in the rotation

one scout compared igawa to jarrod washburn of the mariners

if he can be like jaret wright with 200+ innings then it will be a good deal

who knows with these japanese pitchers, matsuzaka and igawa have the same credentials and their numbers are similar, we will see how they do

Ray Finkle said:
Mets once again came in 2nd posting 19 million.

The reports from the experts have been lukewarm at best (saying #3 starter at best but most likely a 4th or 5th starter). But since the Yankees have the money why not try him out?

My guess is the yanks didn't want to spend so much on a Lilly or Meche and felt this Japanese guy is on their level. $25 mil is alot but it doesn't go to the payroll luxury tax so in essence they'll get him cheaper then they would have w/ the other mediocre pitchers even though overall it will cost them more.

Can these Japanese pitchers just not take the offers and go back to Japan with the cash? Seems like a awfully stupid risk to take if this is the case.

finfansince72 said:
Can these Japanese pitchers just not take the offers and go back to Japan with the cash? Seems like a awfully stupid risk to take if this is the case.

what cash?:confused: :confused:

I don't think this kid is anything special on paper but at the end of the day it's tough to kill the Yankees when the Mets bid 19 mill for the kid too. He's obviously going to contribute something but I like many others would rather go with a proven MLB commodity like Zito or Schmidt then this kid or Matzusaka and I stand by that!

finfansince72 said:
The 25mil??

The Japanese team gets the cash, not the player, and only if the player reaches agreement with the MLB team on a contract.

BigDogsHunt said:
The Japanese team gets the cash, not the player, and only if the player reaches agreement with the MLB team on a contract.

So it works exactly like soccer contracts... modern day slave selling. Is like the team owns the player, and so it has to sell it... dont like that system too much.

Quelonio said:
So it works exactly like soccer contracts... modern day slave selling. Is like the team owns the player, and so it has to sell it... dont like that system too much.

Not every Japenese player is treated like this, or atleast MLB teams dont normally line up to bid just for the right to negotiate a potential contract. Not sure why the hype over this guy with Yanks or the Matsusaka guy with Red Sox.

I did see Red Sox signed another lefty pitcher today and no bidding was involved prior to that one. Atleast I believe he was in Japan leaque last year, etc.

Did this happen with Ichiro? H. Matsui?, etc? I dont recall myself.

BigDogsHunt said:
Not every Japenese player is treated like this, or atleast MLB teams dont normally line up to bid just for the right to negotiate a potential contract. Not sure why the hype over this guy with Yanks or the Matsusaka guy with Red Sox.

I did see Red Sox signed another lefty pitcher today and no bidding was involved prior to that one. Atleast I believe he was in Japan leaque last year, etc.

Did this happen with Ichiro? H. Matsui?, etc? I dont recall myself.

The difference between guys like Igawa, Ichiro and Matzusaka is that there still have contracts with their team which is why there's a bidding. There was a bid for Ichiro which was 13 million I believe.

Guys like both Matsuis and the lefty RP the Sox signed today were free agents and thus could talk to any team they wanted.

I guess because of the luxury tax this guy will be cheaper to sign than another quality 3-4 starter.. How big of a contract does this guy look to get. If he gets 3 years and 15 million would you rather have him or Jason S. for 3 years 45 million plus luxury tax.. I don't see him pitching in NY to be that big of a deal, Randy Johnson could do it if he had anything left..

Back
Top Bottom