Yep...we're screwed. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yep...we're screwed.

Originally posted by Section126
Be wary of what articles you put credence in....the fins beat writers for the most part are a bunch of dweebs.

Amen! For the most part, beat writers everywhere are simply hacks who do whatever they can to get people to read their stories. The truth is, most of them are only moderately more informed than many of us.

I have to agree

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
Yea, I'm reading statements that don't make me think too highly of whatever GM we bring in. Will he have TOTAL and AUTONOMOUS power over personnel decisions and will he be able to fire/hire coaches?

I don't believe Dave should have ANY input in personnel decisions. If he has any input, and especially if he and Spielman are so close, we are indeed screwed, because Spielman will most likely do what Dave wants.

He needs to COACH and nothing more. I was surprised to read in the article in the Herald that he was very concerned about Jay Fiedler and his decline over the last couple years, which is supposedly why he tried to get a starting qb to replace Jay in the 2000 season. I thought he and Jay were THISCLOSE.

We'll see what unfolds. I believe immediate needs are WR's and the o-line (including qb). I also have heards the names Losman and Rivers bandied about, but don't see enough of their play to see how they look.

Any opinions?

He's the coach therefore he absolutely NEEDS to have some input on personnel decisions. There is no such thing as a successful personnel guy who does not take input from his coaches.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Depends....if they hire Spielman, or someone at his level, than Wanny will do whatever he wants. The only way this has teeth is if they hire someone who has firing power over Wanny.

Exactly! If Spielman becomes GM, Wanny will still pull the string. Spielman is Wanny's puppet anyway. This is becoming one big fart in the wind !! :lol:

Originally posted by dolphan39
the quote was from here - http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7629204.htm

I w/b really worried if we gave Wade and huge contract and did not make any other major signings, i.e. we pray that we can sign someone cheap like last year.

Another interesting OL pt. is if we get Brunnell, we need a great RT to protect his back...

Why was Wanny even talking to the press about these things. If he was actually busted back, these quotes wouldn't matter at all and wouldn't even be quoted to begin with. All these little signs points to something pretty damn rotten !!

Originally posted by Cranx
He's the coach therefore he absolutely NEEDS to have some input on personnel decisions. There is no such thing as a successful personnel guy who does not take input from his coaches.

Why? He can't do squat with them anyway.

I disagree. I think the GM needs to see our team, asses our weakness and begin to see where we need improvement. Then, in HIS assesment, he needs to get those peices on our team. It would then be up to Dave, to coach those peices to a superbowl.

Dave has shown he does not know diddly about personnel so why does he need to have any input. He is the coach, he should only worry about coaching his players. The fact that he did have input is the reason that power was taken away.

Originally posted by hunter5nc1
What's this about Rick Mirer?

That was a brilliant move Wanny made in his Chicago days.

Originally posted by DolphinzD

That was a brilliant move Wanny made in his Chicago days.

I remember first hearing that news and I thought WTF??? Rick Mirer? FOR A FIRST ROUND PICK? If I could see that, why can't he? Dave, you're a nice guy, but keep your hands off of personnel decisions, you understand? :yell:

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
From Miami Herald:

"Wannstedt hopes to add bodies along the line but believes the team has some offensive-line talent already on the roster.

''Last year we drafted Taylor Whitley, we have Seth McKinney and Billy Yates, who played quite a bit,'' he said. ``We've got some good, young offensive linemen who are going to be good players in this league.''"

...He's already getting his excuses ready for why we'll go into the 2004 season with a crap O-line AGAIN!!! Maybe they'll be good players in the league Dave...but none of them have shown a thing so far, so other than hopes and prayers, what do you BASE that statement on?

Wanny just continues to make me feel that he is clueless. Thank god he is lost control of personnel decisions. Hopefully our new GM will realize that we need help at OL more than anywhere else and will bring in some offensive linemen.

Originally posted by Dolfan954

I remember first hearing that news and I thought WTF??? Rick Mirer? FOR A FIRST ROUND PICK? If I could see that, why can't he? Dave, you're a nice guy, but keep your hands off of personnel decisions, you understand? :yell:

Among Mueller's Seattle highlights was a 1997 deal that sent struggling quarterback Rick Mirer to the Chicago Bears for a pair of first round-draft picks that were used to select two starters  cornerback Shawn Springs and tackle Walter Jones.

So let me get this straight. Mueller burned Wanny for 4 first rd picks? Two for a bum of a QB in Rick Mirer and 2 for Ricky Williams.
Well the Williams one was'nt too bad even though there were'nt any other takers. One might even argue that WannySpeil folded too early. But the more I hear about Mueller the more I want him here.

This is the most common sense thing I've read, who here would want to coach, but not have any input in who he coaches?

Please some of you guys, keep things in perspective, a coach wants some say in the meal he's preparing, I know I would. If you give me junk and expect a miracle of me, you're kidding yourself. That's a formula to fail...especially with the coach out front, i.e. Chicago..

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as Dave isn't in control of the personnel decisions this off-season, we're not screwed.....:D

R. Spielman will not get the Phinz GM job IMO. He's not qualified, not for the Phinz at least. We need a strong GM that's proven. I personally like R. Mueller for the position. P. Savage wouldn't be too bad either.....

Whoever the GM will be, I'm certain that upgrading the OL, and QB position will be the first main focus this off-season. We all know what this team needs. You'd have to be blind not to IMO....

Dave is just being positive about the young guys we have along the OL. They need time and experience, and a couple if them got some this season. LT W. Smith looked like a rookie. He'll get better now that he's had some real time under his belt. As for B. Yates and T. Whitley, they both look like projects right now, but could provide some decent depth in 2004....

PHINZ RULE!!!:fire:

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

This is the most common sense thing I've read, who here would want to coach, but not have any input in who he coaches?

Please some of you guys, keep things in perspective, a coach wants some say in the meal he's preparing, I know I would. If you give me junk and expect a miracle of me, you're kidding yourself. That's a formula to fail...especially with the coach out front, i.e. Chicago..

That sounds alot like Parcells and gary Stevens !!! :D

On the other hand, which GM would want input from a coach that couldn't handle it and subsequently fired from those duties in the first place? ;)

Back
Top Bottom