Yes, Jordan Mills Struggled Thursday. But Miami Dolphins’ Line Issues Ran Far Deeper | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yes, Jordan Mills Struggled Thursday. But Miami Dolphins’ Line Issues Ran Far Deeper

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
jordan-mills-of-the-miami-dolphins-warms-up-prior-to-the-miami-on-picture-id1149134128

No one was more surprised that Jordan Mills was starting at left tackle for the Dolphins Thursday than Jordan Mills.

Brian Flores broke the news to him not long before kickoff, electing to give Laremy Tunsil the night off.

“Coach came up to me right before we went out to the field telling me I’d be at left tackle and ‘you’ve got to be ready for the next-man-up mentality,’’ Mills said. “When he told me, I was like, ‘Let’s go.’”

Give Mills, who last lined up at left tackle in a game when he was a freshman at Louisiana Tech a decade ago, points for effort and enthusiasm.

But deduct them all for execution.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article233700847.html

I think Chris Reed has to get back in the lineup and bench one of the 2 rookies for now. My opinion is just based on his experience as a starter in this league.

The point is right in the sense that no one should blame Mills personally. No one whose watched him play prior should have expected anything other than what we got. A backup at best RT. Expecting him to be a even halfway competent starting LT is a dream.

RE Preston William interview (in the link) ...

My golly ya gotta LOVE this kid!

When all is said and done I'm thinking: Tunsil, Dieter, Reed, Davis, Prince. Calhoun and Kilgore as the next two in. I'm not mad at the guy, it just didn't work out, Mills should be cut.

For all of us who criticized Sterup for his LT play in past years … yeah … THIS is why he was an emergency backup at LT. Jordan Mills made Marc Colombo look like a Pro Bowler.

poor josh rosen. goes from the worst line in the league last year to a bottom 2 or 3 line in the league this year.

So I guess plan A was to play Tunsil the whole game and never take him out

O-Line is at least a season away from being semi decent. We all know that. Hell we've had to watch that unit being below bad for years so please don't try to sugarcoat it. Only thing im concerned about is our 2 QBs and their health but I've had those same concerns for years. Sooner or later we might get a late draft pick on that line that can make a difference.

Too early to tell re the rooks and their potential development.

I'm still thinking (hoping) we've hit on 2 draft picks

as legit NFL OL material and 1 UDFA.

But it's gonna take some time.

As far as Mills -- his presence is the least understood IMO.

Really wanted Dieter to look better. If it’s another blown mid round OL pick then I’m going to start believing in curses. Still too early to tell but my god. Not promising for anyone on that field, Sans Jesse Davis, who looked somewhat competent.

I just checked the available FA list for Oline....ain't much out there either.

People just need to relax for now. Our OL featured some rookies, a player on a position he played last in his freshmen year in college and it was their first game in a match with a defense who already had a pre-season game under the belt.

Personally I like that Flores threw Mills out there on a position he may not be as familiar with anymore. One of the staples of the NE offense is the versatility of their OL players. For years they seem to plug and play with inferior talent when they had injuries and we always wondered "where the heck do they get these guys from".

OL and QB are the two hardest positions to play on offense. On OL besides your own play you have to have the cohesiveness of all 5. Everybody has to know where everybody else is otherwise the system breaks down.

And just like for QBs: the game has to slow down for rookies on OL ....
Flores said Deiter and Calhoun struggled at first with the speed of the game, but improved as they went along. And with the more experience they get, the slower the game should become for them.

On Mills: he is definitely not probowl caliber but he is not a chump either. He averages about 5-6 penalties per season (average of 1 penalty every 3 games) and about 6 sacks allowed per season (on average 1 sack per 3 games). All stats with the Bills where he started every game for 3 years.

I won't expect our OL to be in its final assembly until the first game of the regular season anyways. Until then it will be trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom