YES YES and YES! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

YES YES and YES!

Because it's not happening.

Whats not happening is Tavon Austin becoming a Miami Dolphin.

Bernard makes ton more sense and he did spend 5 hours with us. Its likely that we dont mind if people hear who we like when we have many picks and maybe they want teams to get desperate and trade or something. Everything is not always in a nice little box so cutely concluded when changing management.

Well, I agree with both.

I just think he wouldn't be putting it out there for all to know. That's not how Ireland ever conducts his business.

Mt favorite player in this draft. If he's there at 2a (projections say yes, I would worry), we gotta grab him. He has that nice low, compact build and lower-body drive, but it's his foot quickness in particular that sets him apart - it's tremendous. His quick feet allow him to take short strides, and in the tape you see his feet are always under him giving him great balance. It's hard to knock him over - you see him bouncing off people, especially on the edge; he's a really active runner - pretty elusive with good wiggle in space. But that elusiveness isn't mixed with too much hesitation like it is with Bush; Gio's more decisive when accelerating and is very smooth when he sees something with his good vision.

The comparison to Rice is valid. They both do so many things very well, can line up in lots of spots, and are very good pass-catchers...though they're different in some ways. From combine: Rice 5'8 199, Gio 5'8 202. Rice with a faster 40 (4.42) and 3-cone, Gio (4.53) with faster shuttles and better vertical (though their times were very close). Rice has a little more bowling ball in him now that he bulked up in the League, imo, lowering his pads and barreling ahead; Gio is a better open-field runner and more apt to make big plays because he sets up his blocks so well - this is what makes him a dangerous punt returner despite his lack of a high top gear. Gio is a little more elusive, too, little more make-you-miss while Rice has that sweet jump-cut. The other NFL comparison I'd make is a really good Shane Vereen. Remember that NE-Hou playoff game: they finally gave Vereen the ball more in lots of ways (singleback, shotgun, out wide, etc.) and he tore it up - that's Gio every week.

UNC changed offenses from 2011 prostyle to 2012 spread. Gio said he thought he was better off in the pro, but he obviously excelled in both. You can see on highlights that he's comfortable anywhere, beside the QB, behind, carrying and running routes from either. Like someone said, he's a more natural and tough inside runner than Bush, and I think he'd complement Miller really well (like when Balt made that great change in the playoff run...they would split Rice out wide and keep Pierce in the backfield...that's very hard to matchup with). He can do it all!

2012 season in spread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPNeBymHE

2011 against UMiami, pro-style stuff. You get a better sense of his lower-body drive here in traditional sets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gCUHbM_3cA

I realize that the odds of us drafting him are not great, but I'm glad he visited and will hope for that 'considerable' interest.

I was amazed at his ability to sidestep and hit a small hole and break wide open or get to second level with ease. Uses the spin move. classic. I like him. I have been focused on guys that are 220-230. Levon Bell is another guy I think we have our eye on. Stepfan Taylor can do it all but master of none IMO, including pass pro.

Great write up TB! I'm not buying the whole Ireland fake out thing. They spent 5 hours with the kid--they are interested--but not sure if he will be there at 2a. JMHO but the reason the phins have traditionally failed with their 2nd round picks is they try to draft for position rather than BPA. From what I've read and heard from Philbin I think that philosophy has changed. If GIO is there at 2a you take him and laugh all the way to the bank.

Mt favorite player in this draft. If he's there at 2a (projections say yes, I would worry), we gotta grab him. He has that nice low, compact build and lower-body drive, but it's his foot quickness in particular that sets him apart - it's tremendous. His quick feet allow him to take short strides, and in the tape you see his feet are always under him giving him great balance. It's hard to knock him over - you see him bouncing off people, especially on the edge; he's a really active runner - pretty elusive with good wiggle in space. But that elusiveness isn't mixed with too much hesitation like it is with Bush; Gio's more decisive when accelerating and is very smooth when he sees something with his good vision.

The comparison to Rice is valid. They both do so many things very well, can line up in lots of spots, and are very good pass-catchers...though they're different in some ways. From combine: Rice 5'8 199, Gio 5'8 202. Rice with a faster 40 (4.42) and 3-cone, Gio (4.53) with faster shuttles and better vertical (though their times were very close). Rice has a little more bowling ball in him now that he bulked up in the League, imo, lowering his pads and barreling ahead; Gio is a better open-field runner and more apt to make big plays because he sets up his blocks so well - this is what makes him a dangerous punt returner despite his lack of a high top gear. Gio is a little more elusive, too, little more make-you-miss while Rice has that sweet jump-cut. The other NFL comparison I'd make is a really good Shane Vereen. Remember that NE-Hou playoff game: they finally gave Vereen the ball more in lots of ways (singleback, shotgun, out wide, etc.) and he tore it up - that's Gio every week.

UNC changed offenses from 2011 prostyle to 2012 spread. Gio said he thought he was better off in the pro, but he obviously excelled in both. You can see on highlights that he's comfortable anywhere, beside the QB, behind, carrying and running routes from either. Like someone said, he's a more natural and tough inside runner than Bush, and I think he'd complement Miller really well (like when Balt made that great change in the playoff run...they would split Rice out wide and keep Pierce in the backfield...that's very hard to matchup with). He can do it all!

2012 season in spread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPNeBymHE

2011 against UMiami, pro-style stuff. You get a better sense of his lower-body drive here in traditional sets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gCUHbM_3cA

I realize that the odds of us drafting him are not great, but I'm glad he visited and will hope for that 'considerable' interest.

If you're looking at Lacey or Bernard in the 2nd, I think you have to give it consideration.

But I think you might be able to get Zac Stacy in the 3b/4 range, and I'd like him better in that range than I like Bernard in the 2a/2b range.

Even better, you could probably get Stacy in the 4th or even 5th, i'm thinking :ponder:

I was amazed at his ability to sidestep and hit a small hole and break wide open or get to second level with ease. Uses the spin move. classic. I like him. I have been focused on guys that are 220-230. Levon Bell is another guy I think we have our eye on. Stepfan Taylor can do it all but master of none IMO, including pass pro.
I would think that Levon Bell would be the perfect compliment to Lamar Miller. But, if the Dolphins are looking at adding playmakers I'm all for it!

I'm all for adding another running back.. Competition at that position would be huge. Don't just give Lamar Miller the job

Phins need defense and OL in the early rounds. Wait till 3rd or 4th for a RB. Lots of good ones there.

Phins need defense and OL in the early rounds. Wait till 3rd or 4th for a RB. Lots of good ones there.

In all due respect, after all the "known quantities" are drafted in the first round we MUST draft the BPA after that, not solely position needs. The great organizations like the Steelers and the Pats, load up on playmakers rather than looking to fill a hole in the roster. We've tried your method since Jimmy Johnson left (the last person Imho who actually knew how to draft) and we've failed miserably. We desperately need offensive playmakers and we just lost Bush, the only one we had last year. If Gio is there we have to take him over an O or D lineman. Have to.

I've been calling for this all offseason. JMHO but best back in the draft!

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-lots-of-fins-heat-canes-marlins-chatter.html

"The Dolphins are showing considerable interest in North Carolina and former St. Thomas Aquinas running back Giovani Bernard, who spent five hours at Dolphins headquarters Thursday. Bernard, an option for Miami’s picks at 42 and 54, had 1228 rushing yards (6.7 per carry), 490 receiving yards and two punt returns for touchdowns in 2012."

I'd probably go with Eddie Lacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet.

We need more playmakers early. Lineman can be had in the later rounds.

Hell I wouldn't care if Rounds 3 - 7 are all linemen and defense (or BPA).

Just get us some additional weapons at 1, 2A, and/or 2B. (I do feel we need to grab a corner in one of our first three picks.)

Man, he's a really small back. IDK
I would rather a back like Mike Gillislee

MJD is 5'7" 208lb
Ray Rice 5'8" 212lb
Doug Martin 5'9" 215lb

Giovani Bernard is 5'10" 206 lb

What I like about the smaller guys is that they don't seem to get hit as hard (including Lamar Miller). Low to the ground, know how to go down without getting blasted. I like Daniel Thomas but MAN it seems like he gets blasted on every play. Too upright, too lanky, long strider. I literally worry about him knocking himself out.

Stop he is not freaking 5'10"!

MJD is 5'7" 208lb
Ray Rice 5'8" 212lb
Doug Martin 5'9" 215lb

Giovani Bernard is 5'10" 206 lb

What I like about the smaller guys is that they don't seem to get hit as hard (including Lamar Miller). Low to the ground, know how to go down without getting blasted. I like Daniel Thomas but MAN it seems like he gets blasted on every play. Too upright, too lanky, long strider. I literally worry about him knocking himself out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom