You be the judge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You be the judge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend was drafted by the Cleveland Browns a few years ago. He was a late round pick and wound up getting cut, but his short time in the NFL was a real eye-opener. He said a lot of players are on Human Growth Hormone, which everyone already suspects.

But he said the other thing that alot of players do is take insulin shots, which really surprised me. Now, I don't know much about insulin other than diabetics need to take shots of it and it breaks down sugar in your body, but I never heard of using it for performance enhancement. Does this make sense to anybody?

He isn't the type of guy to lie about stuff like this, so I'm sure it is either true, or he believes it to be true.
Here's a couple of articles that explains why it makes sense for athletes to use insulin and also why it doesn't.

Athletes may be increasingly abusing insulin
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1129-athletes-may-be-increasingly-abusing-insulin.html
Insulin helps athletes in two ways. In bodybuilders, it works alongside anabolic steroids such as testosterone or human growth hormone to consolidate muscle tissue. Steroids spawn new muscle, and insulin prevents it from being broken down.

Insulin also bolsters stamina in middle-distance runners and other track performers by enabling them to load their muscles with glycogen "fuel" before and between events. To do this, athletes would need to take insulin and glucose simultaneously for a couple of hours, infusing them using a technique called a hyperinsulinaemic clamp.
Why do some bodybuilders use insulin as a supplement?
http://www.ironmagazine.com/viewarticle-983.html
Question:

Answer:
First, I'd hardly call synthetic insulin a "supplement." it is really a serious drug, not meant to be used by bodybuilders but those inflicted with insulin-dependent diabetes. Insulin is only available by prescription, but that has never stood in the way of muscle hungry bodybuilders that want a specific drug.

The reason that bodybuilders are interested in insulin lies in it's ability to cause the storage of greater amounts of carbohydrates and amino acids inside muscle cells. Insulin is both anabolic and anti-catabolic in nature, and can produce dramatic and rapid increases in the size and fullness of the muscles when used "correctly."

Insulin also has a synergistic effect with other bodybuilding drugs like growth hormone and steroids, each helping the other drug to work more efficiently.

I should also mention that because insulin is not detected by standard urinalysis testing, it is also a favorite among "natural" bodybuilders as well. Insulin, along with HGH, which is also undetectable, are used by many that compete in drug tested events. This is cheating at its worst of course.

Bottom line, synthetic insulin is a powerful and dangerous drug. When used "correctly" it can certainly enhance hypertrophy to astounding levels. Used incorrectly on the other hand, it can make you fat, or far worse, kill you.

I get really tired of people saying that there is no way people can put on that type of muscle in 4 years. Because you cannot do it or dont want to do it, dont think everyone that does is genetically enhanced. This is not me saying that they did or did not do it, I like everyone else on here don't know what the truth is. It is just troublesome that automatically people say, it can't be done. It can be. Don't automatically assume because you personally would not dedicate the time or that you do not have the genetic make up that the no one else does either - or the only way it could be done is by cheating.

Yea, they eat a LOT of organic free-range chicken and drink wheat grass juice by the gallon --- that's the ticket!

Obviously USC (United Steroid Council) has got it goin’ on!

:woot:

Modern engineering baby!

It’s all about makin’ millions and most athletes will do anything to get an edge when you’re talking that kind of ca$h!

Someone posted that Clay said in a radio interview that he was 210 lbs when he entered USC as a freshman and he didn't know where the 165 lb claim came from.

I can't imagine any scenario in which a 165 pound linebacker is going to see the field for USC..... and I'm including the practice field in that statement.

I don't know if Matthews is on the juice but the 165 thing is just.... well I dont even know what to think about that....

Here's a couple of articles that explains why it makes sense for athletes to use insulin and also why it doesn't.

Athletes may be increasingly abusing insulin
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1129-athletes-may-be-increasingly-abusing-insulin.html

http://www.ironmagazine.com/viewarticle-983.html

I used to work out with a guy who's diabetic and had to take insulin. He was really into lifting, I think the only supplement he took along with it was creatine.
This guy was really strong and have a good V shaped physique. I seen him do over 40 reps at 225 on the bench and between 15-20 with 315. His squat workouts, twice a week, was usually 10 sets of 10 reps at 225, then a couple times a month he'd go heavier with lower reps.
He said, he thought the insulin helped him, and being diabetic he was also very strict about his diet.

I can't imagine any scenario in which a 165 pound linebacker is going to see the field for USC..... and I'm including the practice field in that statement.

I don't know if Matthews is on the juice but the 165 thing is just.... well I dont even know what to think about that....

Just seen an article where Clay Sr said Clay Jr was 165 as a high school junior, not as a college freshman. The 210 as a college freshman seems reasonable and for him to add 30 lbs in 3 years isn't extraordinary at all.
Looking at Clay Jr working out in a tight t shirt and shorts, he has a great physique, but not one that screams steroids at all. It is very possible, through dedicated working out, legal supplements, and good nutrition to develop like he has.
As for Cushing, he ran without a shirt, and his build looks like one that could be obtained in the same way. Cush has overly developed biceps, but he could get them through spending extra time focusing on them, doing preacher curls on a Hammer machine, etc.

Brain
cstrh23e8ggb-1.jpg

Clay
523185-1.jpg

3016613909_4df04b88d4-1.jpg

171px20081018ClayMatthewsIII-1.jpg

IMO, the photo in the upper left was probably taken sometime not too long after he dislocated his shoulder in 2005. Obviously, you can't do any upper body weight lifting until sufficiently recovered from the shoulder surgery. In that pic, it looks like his upper body has atrophied from going a few months not being able to lift.
As for him displaying evidence of gyno, I don't see that at all. I see atrophied pectorals from extended inactivity recovering from surgery. Even if he was using steroids, very few of the popular ones in use any more have a possible side effect of gyno.
And if he was using Dianabol which has gyno as a possible side effect, he'd certainly be taking Nolvadex or another anti estrogen along with it.

Back
Top Bottom