You make the call...

BassFin

Starter
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
674
Reaction score
2
Location
Orlando
It seems like everyone is thinking RB, QB or WR if the Fins stay at #2 overall. I was doing some research for those positions during the drafts of 1996 thru last year and here's what I found. All of them are from picks #1-10:

2004
1 Eli Manning Chargers QB - Not sure if he will ever live up to the hype. But it's still early.
3 Larry Fitzgerald Cardinals - Solid numbers for a rookie on a bad team.
4 Philip Rivers Giants QB - Sat on the bench. Too soon to tell
7 Roy Williams Lions WR - Looked like a stud til injuries crept up.
9 Reggie Williams Jaguars WR - Good but not great in first year.


2003
1 Carson Palmer Bengals QB - Finally started. Looked OK in first year.
2 Charles Rogers Lions WR - Great when healthy but always seems to be hurt.
3 Andre Johnson Texans WR - Biggest weapon on his team. Pro Bowler last year.
7 Byron Leftwich Jaguars QB - Sophomore slump last year.

2002
1 David Carr Texans QB - Still waiting for a breakout year
3 Joey Harrington Lions QB Oregon - In danger of being cut soon

2001
1 Michael Vick Falcons QB - Great athlete..bad QB.
5 LaDainian Tomlinson Chargers RB - S-T-U-D!
8 David Terrell Bears WR - B-U-S-T!
9 Koren Robinson Seahawks WR - Been to Pro Bowl. Suspect hands.

2000
4 Peter Warrick Bengals WR - Not worth the 4th pick.
5 Jamal Lewis Ravens RB - Stud up until his arrest and injuries.
7 Thomas Jones Cardinals RB - Finally put together a decent season after bouncing from Cards to Bucs to Bears.
8 Plaxico Burress Steelers WR - Few solid seasons and lots of potential but hasn't fit the bill of a #1 WR yet.
10 Travis Taylor Ravens WR - Never lived up to expectations. Now a Viking.

1999
1 Tim Couch Browns QB - BUST!
2 Donovan McNabb Eagles QB - Pro Bowler who just can't seem to get that ring.
3 Akili Smith Bengals QB - See Couch..
4 Edgerrin James Colts RB - Pro Bowler. Still one of the most complete RBs in the NFL. Even after his knee injury.
5 Ricky Williams Saints RB - Stud unitl he got high.
6 Torry Holt Rams WR - One of the leagues top WR. Multiple Pro Bowler
8 David Boston Cardinals WR - Made the Pro Bowl but a major headcase.

1998
1 Peyton Manning Colts QB - Future HOF who can't get to the Super Bowl
2 Ryan Leaf Chargers QB - King of Busts
5 Curtis Enis Bears RB - Who?
9 Fred Taylor Jaguars RB - Few Pro Bowl seasons. Lots of injuries

1997
7 Ike Hilliard Giants WR - Was a solid roll player.

1996
1 Keyshawn Johnson Jets WR - Made Pro Bowl but as selfish as they come
6 Lawrence Phillips Rams RB - The Mike Tyson of football
7 Terry Glenn Patriots WR - Few good seasons but has bounced around some lately.
8 Tim Biakabutuka Panthers RB - Injued and disappeared.

So the way I look at it, not counting 2004 (too early to judge) there were:
2 great QBs, 4 OK ones and 4 Bad ones.
4 Great RBs, 2 OK ones and 3 Bad ones.
And 3 Great WRs, 7 OK ones and 2 bad ones.

You've seen history.......What should the Fins do?
 

sports24/7

Bleeder of Aqua and Orange
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
3,146
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Location
Miami
Go QB. Even though it is a risk if it pays off it your team is in a far better position than if the other players pay off. It would suck to end up with a Akili Smith or Tim Couch, but if we end up with a Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, or even a David Carr it is puts us in a great position.
 

BassFin

Starter
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
674
Reaction score
2
Location
Orlando
sports24/7 said:
Go QB. Even though it is a risk if it pays off it your team is in a far better position than if the other players pay off. It would suck to end up with a Akili Smith or Tim Couch, but if we end up with a Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, or even a David Carr it is puts us in a great position.
1 Super Bowl appearance between all three. As opposed to Lewis and Holt being on Super Bowl winners. I just can't see gambling on a QB when it seems like the RBs and WRs are the ones contributing more to their team winning.

Look at Marino. Never won the big one. And Elway didn't until he got a great RB. Dilfer did with Lewis and Warner (an AFLer) did it with Holt.
 

Prime

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
Feb 22, 2004
Messages
13,346
Reaction score
0
Location
ohio
I think that we need to go with Edwards if we stay at #2 because Edwards can help our passing game out and he can also help Feeley become a better QB.
 

zephon

Active Roster
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
963
Reaction score
0
I'm sticking with either Williams...whether @ #2 or #5 or #7 or whereever....actually that's what I'd like to see.....I have no idea what we'll actually do.
 

BassFin

Starter
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
674
Reaction score
2
Location
Orlando
zephon said:
I'm sticking with either Williams...whether @ #2 or #5 or #7 or whereever....actually that's what I'd like to see.....I have no idea what we'll actually do.
That's who I'd like too but I can't see that happening at #2. Now if we get the 5 or 7.....

Whatever happens, I hope we get an offensive playmaker. Good WRs and RBs can make an average QB look really good.
 

KB21

Finheaven VIP
Joined
Dec 26, 2001
Messages
10,049
Reaction score
59
PhinDude88 said:
I think that we need to go with Edwards if we stay at #2 because Edwards can help our passing game out and he can also help Feeley become a better QB.
He can't help AJ more than Ronnie Brown can. Braylon won't improve the Dolphins running game at all. Ronnie Brown will improve the running game, and he will also improve the passing game.
 

GRT8

DOLPHIN FAN SINCE 1970
Joined
Nov 10, 2004
Messages
1,877
Reaction score
0
Location
Virginia
BassFin said:
It seems like everyone is thinking RB, QB or WR if the Fins stay at #2 overall. I was doing some research for those positions during the drafts of 1996 thru last year and here's what I found. All of them are from picks #1-10:

2004
1 Eli Manning Chargers QB - Not sure if he will ever live up to the hype. But it's still early.
3 Larry Fitzgerald Cardinals - Solid numbers for a rookie on a bad team.
4 Philip Rivers Giants QB - Sat on the bench. Too soon to tell
7 Roy Williams Lions WR - Looked like a stud til injuries crept up.
9 Reggie Williams Jaguars WR - Good but not great in first year.


2003
1 Carson Palmer Bengals QB - Finally started. Looked OK in first year.
2 Charles Rogers Lions WR - Great when healthy but always seems to be hurt.
3 Andre Johnson Texans WR - Biggest weapon on his team. Pro Bowler last year.
7 Byron Leftwich Jaguars QB - Sophomore slump last year.

2002
1 David Carr Texans QB - Still waiting for a breakout year
3 Joey Harrington Lions QB Oregon - In danger of being cut soon

2001
1 Michael Vick Falcons QB - Great athlete..bad QB.
5 LaDainian Tomlinson Chargers RB - S-T-U-D!
8 David Terrell Bears WR - B-U-S-T!
9 Koren Robinson Seahawks WR - Been to Pro Bowl. Suspect hands.

2000
4 Peter Warrick Bengals WR - Not worth the 4th pick.
5 Jamal Lewis Ravens RB - Stud up until his arrest and injuries.
7 Thomas Jones Cardinals RB - Finally put together a decent season after bouncing from Cards to Bucs to Bears.
8 Plaxico Burress Steelers WR - Few solid seasons and lots of potential but hasn't fit the bill of a #1 WR yet.
10 Travis Taylor Ravens WR - Never lived up to expectations. Now a Viking.

1999
1 Tim Couch Browns QB - BUST!
2 Donovan McNabb Eagles QB - Pro Bowler who just can't seem to get that ring.
3 Akili Smith Bengals QB - See Couch..
4 Edgerrin James Colts RB - Pro Bowler. Still one of the most complete RBs in the NFL. Even after his knee injury.
5 Ricky Williams Saints RB - Stud unitl he got high.
6 Torry Holt Rams WR - One of the leagues top WR. Multiple Pro Bowler
8 David Boston Cardinals WR - Made the Pro Bowl but a major headcase.

1998
1 Peyton Manning Colts QB - Future HOF who can't get to the Super Bowl
2 Ryan Leaf Chargers QB - King of Busts
5 Curtis Enis Bears RB - Who?
9 Fred Taylor Jaguars RB - Few Pro Bowl seasons. Lots of injuries

1997
7 Ike Hilliard Giants WR - Was a solid roll player.

1996
1 Keyshawn Johnson Jets WR - Made Pro Bowl but as selfish as they come
6 Lawrence Phillips Rams RB - The Mike Tyson of football
7 Terry Glenn Patriots WR - Few good seasons but has bounced around some lately.
8 Tim Biakabutuka Panthers RB - Injued and disappeared.

So the way I look at it, not counting 2004 (too early to judge) there were:
2 great QBs, 4 OK ones and 4 Bad ones.
4 Great RBs, 2 OK ones and 3 Bad ones.
And 3 Great WRs, 7 OK ones and 2 bad ones.

You've seen history.......What should the Fins do?
nice job
 

zephon

Active Roster
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
963
Reaction score
0
BassFin said:
That's who I'd like too but I can't see that happening at #2. Now if we get the 5 or 7.....

Whatever happens, I hope we get an offensive playmaker. Good WRs and RBs can make an average QB look really good.
you know, the one thing we might all be overlooking is that Saban might just stay at #2. He simply might not get the trade down offer he's looking for. All these rumors (which I'm helping to perpetuate :wink: ) are just that..rumors. I think we have so many more this year (there are a lot every year) because there are so many players rated so closely in the top 10...and...we are picking higher than we've picked in 30 years.
 

Ark139954

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
993
Reaction score
0
Location
Miami
go wr or rb, i think there are no good enough qbs in this draft to take the risk. even if smith isnt a bust he wont be any peyton or even mcnabb
 

BassFin

Starter
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
674
Reaction score
2
Location
Orlando
This is why I don't buy the "RB has no value at #2" argument

This is what drives me nuts about everyone saying we HAVE to take a QB at #2.

It's the same thing every year. QBs get overvalued because they are the glamour pick and they "are worth the money at the top of the draft"

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. To take a phrase out of Wanny's vocab "Beware of the trap..." of overvaluing QBs!

BPA!!! History shows it's the only way to go..
 
Top Bottom