You might get kick out of this | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You might get kick out of this

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
[h=1]The quiet redemption of Jonathan Martin, the man at the center of the NFL’s infamous bullying scandal[/h]

By: Alysha Tsuji | May 13, 2016 8:00 am

SAN LEANDRO, Calif. — When Jonathan Martin arrived to speak at Washington Manor Middle School just outside Oakland last Wednesday, students hurried to greet him and guide him to the auditorium where he would speak. They surrounded him, asking for photos and autographs.
It did not matter to them that Martin, once a second-round pick of the Miami Dolphins, had washed out of football quietly before last season. Or that he is most known for making bullying allegations against his Dolphins teammates. The kids saw only someone who had made it to the NFL, someone famous.
Martin didn’t mind the attention. His stint as an NFL player — as brief and tortured as it was — is what gives him the ability to share his message now. He makes sense of why it went wrong by talking about how it went wrong. The kids listen, at first, because of his fame. His hope is that his message — about dealing with the effects of bullying and depression — reaches at least some of them.
Through three separate presentations — one for each grade — on behalf of Beyond Differences, an organization focused on eliminating social isolation, the majority of the 895 students sat quietly on the floor, listening to Martin share his life story.
Photo by Alysha Tsuji

Martin just received a degree from Stanford. He hasn’t given up on attempting a return to football and isn’t sure what he’ll do if he never plays again.:lol: The future is uncertain. But for perhaps the first time he is finding solace in talking about his past. Plunging into his most painful memories is how he now finds peace.

“I’ve known ever since I was a kid that I was different from the other kids,” Martin began.
He slowly paced back and forth while he opened up about how he always felt more sensitive than everyone else.
“I was trapped in my own head often, and I would later learn that I have major depressive disorder, which means you get sad easier than other people, and I get anxiety to go along with that,” Martin said in his first talk to the 7th graders.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/the-quiet-redemption-of-jonathan-martin

One of the kids stole his lunch money and he went and told the principal who told him to stop being a wus!

[h=1]The quiet redemption of Jonathan Martin, the man at the center of the NFL’s infamous bullying scandal[/h]

SAN LEANDRO, Calif. — When Jonathan Martin arrived to speak at Washington Manor Middle School just outside Oakland last Wednesday, students hurried to greet him and guide him to the auditorium where he would speak. They surrounded him, asking for photos and autographs.
It did not matter to them that Martin, once a second-round pick of the Miami Dolphins, had washed out of football quietly before last season. Or that he is most known for making bullying allegations against his Dolphins teammates. The kids saw only someone who had made it to the NFL, someone famous.
Martin didn’t mind the attention. His stint as an NFL player — as brief and tortured as it was — is what gives him the ability to share his message now. He makes sense of why it went wrong by talking about how it went wrong. The kids listen, at first, because of his fame. His hope is that his message — about dealing with the effects of bullying and depression — reaches at least some of them.
Through three separate presentations — one for each grade — on behalf of Beyond Differences, an organization focused on eliminating social isolation, the majority of the 895 students sat quietly on the floor, listening to Martin share his life story.
Photo by Alysha Tsuji

Martin just received a degree from Stanford. He hasn’t given up on attempting a return to football and isn’t sure what he’ll do if he never plays again.:lol: The future is uncertain. But for perhaps the first time he is finding solace in talking about his past. Plunging into his most painful memories is how he now finds peace.

“I’ve known ever since I was a kid that I was different from the other kids,” Martin began.
He slowly paced back and forth while he opened up about how he always felt more sensitive than everyone else.
“I was trapped in my own head often, and I would later learn that I have major depressive disorder, which means you get sad easier than other people, and I get anxiety to go along with that,” Martin said in his first talk to the 7th graders.

I hope the kids did not crowd him too much, Martin might have gotten spooked, and Mom would need to file charges at the school for allowing wild children to endanger her little boy.

Photo by Alysha Tsuji

Look, he has to support his arm with his other arm, just to stop this girl's hand! She could have easily got to Tanne! hehe

Great to see JMart doing something constructive to help others and not so self absorbed. He didn't handle things well in Miami and the suicidal talk hinted to other bigger issues. As the Dolphins have put Bullygate behind, let's hope that Jonathan is able to move forward and construct a long term career outside of football. He's a bright guy (Stanford graduate) and he's wealthy but now it's time to learn from the events to really do something with his life. I wish him good luck, because he will probably need it.

Sooooo, none of this was noticed/observed by the scouts prior to drafting him. No coach, no friend, no teacher from his past, no ex-girlfriend (or boyfriend) mentioned that this guy had issues?

Second round pick? Geesh... :bobdole:

Hate to break it to some, but neither the team nor the line sucked solely because of Martin. He was only part of the problem on a completely dysfunctional unit, from the "leader" ( :lol: ) in Pouncey to the overrated douchebag in Incognito to a head coach that couldn't manage his lockerroom. Fortunately, we're through with all but one of the problems from that period in the team's history.

It's good that he's trying to educate kids with his message. Kids should know that those issues can live with you even into your teens and 20's and beyond -- you don't simply grow out of them because you're "all grown up" now, you gotta learn to live with them and overcome them.

I'm still not happy with the way Martin handled the Bullygate incident. He could've gone about that a variety of different ways, and he chose perhaps the most hasty and destructive route for the sake of putting his situation on loudspeaker for the nation to hear. Very selfish move IMO.
Perhaps it's another example of how non-personable and distant Philbin made himself appear, for Martin to not even bother talking to him about it.

Back
Top Bottom