Your Opinion On These 3 Picks: | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your Opinion On These 3 Picks:

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I am late to the party doing my draft research, and am just doing my best trying to get to know players.
(Life gets in the way of things that REALLY matter!!)
Anyway, first off- if our first three rounds went like this, assuming no trades, what would your reaction be; and, do you think it's even realistic? Anyway, really look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Thanks,
ROUND 1: at 13 Brian Burns EDGE Fla St.
ROUND 2: CB Penn St. Amani Oruwariye
ROUND 3: convert from T to Guard, OL Kansas St. Dalton Risner
After this trying to guess players is just nuts.

I think the Risner pick is dead on - although you'd be awful lucky to land him in the 3rd round.

The key to pay attention to in my opinion is versatility, especially among OL and DB. But really all positions. I think that's something they'll value. Guys that can play first and foremost, but also guys who can play different positions. Risner has excelled at Center and Left Tackle.

Let's say you end up with something like this:

1st - Jonah Williams / OT / Alabama
2nd - Erik McCoy / C / Texas A&M; or: Dalton Risner / OT / Kansas St.
3rd - Juan Thornhill / S / Virginia; or: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson / S / Florida; or: Darnell Savage / S / Maryland; or: Amani Hooker / S / Iowa; or: Mike Edwards / S / Kentucky

Basically, DB's who are versatile CB/S tweeners who can man the slot or play high. Guys who can run and cover with top notch ball skills. This is where the value is among this DB class.

4th - Justin Hollins / LB / Oregon
5th - Easton Stick / QB / N. Dakota St.; or: Tyree Jackson / QB / Buffalo
6th - Nick Allegretti / OG / Illinois
7th - Jonathan Ledbetter / DE / Georgia

That's very interesting about the DB's. I'll check those guys out. Thanks!!
Do you see them, as tweeners, as mid/later round picks? Do you think if that's the type of DB they want we go for sure OL and DL in rounds 1-2?
I also noticed in that little mock you included, you have zero Dline or edge rushers till round 7(Unless that Oregon LB is an edge guy?)

That's very interesting about the DB's. I'll check those guys out. Thanks!!
Do you see them, as tweeners, as mid/later round picks? Do you think if that's the type of DB they want we go for sure OL and DL in rounds 1-2?
I also noticed in that little mock you included, you have zero Dline or edge rushers till round 7(Unless that Oregon LB is an edge guy?)

Edge guys aren't going to matter yet. Miami has no offensive line, or secondary, or quarterback. Pass rushers are the last piece you add in a total rebuild. The blueprint has been out there for decades, and these guys subscribe to the Parcellian blueprint. It's a good one. Just not at the expense of passing up a franchise quarterback. That's where they screwed up when Parcells was in Miami.

The DB's I listed here will all be gone by the end of Day 2. They all run too well, tested too well, have ball skills, production, and too good of film to last beyond Day 2. There will be a run on these guys Day 2 of the draft.

Hollins is an edge guy - but not only an edge guy. He can drop into coverage and execute a variety of roles as a standup linebacker in a multiple scheme. A little bit like Van Noy.

I think what they'll covet with DL are guys that know how to use their hands - stack and shed blocks. Ledbetter isn't an elite athlete, but there's few as good as him in this draft at using their hands. He could be available this late, but that's a gamble.

I like Burns in round 1, I’d like to see Erik Mccoy Round 2. And Chauncey Gardner-Johnson round 3 I’d be really happy with that

Back
Top Bottom