Zach Thomas HAll of Fame (NYJunc) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas HAll of Fame (NYJunc)

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
It seems as if Zach Might be in the hall of fame after all.

Sat with Sports Illustrated columnist Paul Zimmerman during practice. He's visiting to write his story on the Dolphins. The man most of you may know as Dr. Z is a Hall of Fame voter so I asked him what he thought of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor's chances of getting into the Hall someday.

Zimmerman said he would vote for Thomas, no doubt, and would even speak on his behalf in the meeting with other voters. Zimmerman said Thomas along with Ray Lewis were the premier linebackers of their time and that is why he is worthy of induction.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/08/the-post-practi.html

Lol at the comments:

Honestly...I am a season ticket holder and using foul language and throwing objects at Jet fans are the few joys i get out of my seats. Please don't take it away.

As big a Dolphin basher as Junc is, i tend to agree with his thoughts on Thomas. I think it's going to be tough him to get into the Hall of Fame, since so few linebackers have done so. Although he is one of the most prolific tacklers of all-time, i dont know if his statistics in that category are enough to get him in. Not without the resume of a guy like Ray Lewis, Dick Butkus, Lawrence Taylor and Jack Ham/Jack Lambert each of whom has a championship to his name and was recognized as a DOMINANT defender of his era.

I'd have to concur on ZT. Hell if he wins a superbowl ring this year, NO way does zach NOT make it in the first year he's eligable.

Zimmerman's logic is exactly right. From 1996 to 2006, the two premier LBs were most definitely Zach Thomas and Ray Lewis.

And Zach's impact can't be fully measured in his own personal stats. You have to listen to guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady talk about Zach and how they hate playing against him because of how smart he is. Peyton has talked about how Zach would constantly call out the Colts' play to the rest of his teammates a few seconds before Peyton would go to snap the ball. It's maddening. Does that help Zach's stats? Not necessarily, if he's pointing out a likely screen and tells Morlon Greenwood "watch the screen" and then Morlon makes the play...you're never going to see that on Zach's stats or even his tape. But Peyton Manning and the players around Zach damn well know.

But coaches know...and that's Zach's hope for getting in. Didn't coaches most recently vote him the smartest defensive player in the game?

As big a Dolphin basher as Junc is, i tend to agree with his thoughts on Thomas. I think it's going to be tough him to get into the Hall of Fame, since so few linebackers have done so. Although he is one of the most prolific tacklers of all-time, i dont know if his statistics in that category are enough to get him in. Not without the resume of a guy like Ray Lewis, Dick Butkus, Lawrence Taylor and Jack Ham/Jack Lambert each of whom has a championship to his name and was recognized as a DOMINANT defender of his era.

I thought i read some where that Zach has more tackles than any other LB in the hall? I might be wrong, but if right that would be a very good stat in itself. Also this championship thing is bull crap! Teams win championships not players. As far as DOMINANT goes I believe JT and ZT were about as DOMINANT as it gets in their prime. And still pretty darn good now!:D

Zimmerman's logic is exactly right. From 1996 to 2006, the two premier LBs were most definitely Zach Thomas and Ray Lewis.

And Zach's impact can't be fully measured in his own personal stats. You have to listen to guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady talk about Zach and how they hate playing against him because of how smart he is. Peyton has talked about how Zach would constantly call out the Colts' play to the rest of his teammates a few seconds before Peyton would go to snap the ball. It's maddening. Does that help Zach's stats? Not necessarily, if he's pointing out a likely screen and tells Morlon Greenwood "watch the screen" and then Morlon makes the play...you're never going to see that on Zach's stats or even his tape. But Peyton Manning and the players around Zach damn well know.

But coaches know...and that's Zach's hope for getting in. Didn't coaches most recently vote him the smartest defensive player in the game?

Yes. He was voted (just a few months ago) as the #1 smartest defensive player in the NFL by coaches.

I thought i read some where that Zach has more tackles than any other LB in the hall? I might be wrong, but if right that would be a very good stat in itself. Also this championship thing is bull crap! Teams win championships not players. As far as DOMINANT goes I believe JT and ZT were about as DOMINANT as it gets in their prime. And still pretty darn good now!:D

I believe that is correct, in fact i'm not entirely sure about this but Zach is right up there among the all-time leaders in tackles and could very well finish number one.

But to me i just dont regard him on the same level as players like Ray Lewis, who belongs with Taylor and Singletary and Lambert etc. Zach is right there on that next level, but i dont think he's one of those game changing linebackers who was among the best to ever play.

That being said i HOPE he gets in, i'd love to see it. But i dont think it will happen.

That's true. He is also fourth all-time behind Randy Gradishar, Jesse Tuggle, and Junior Seau.

It seems as if Zach Might be in the hall of fame after all.

Sat with Sports Illustrated columnist Paul Zimmerman during practice. He's visiting to write his story on the Dolphins. The man most of you may know as Dr. Z is a Hall of Fame voter so I asked him what he thought of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor's chances of getting into the Hall someday.

Zimmerman said he would vote for Thomas, no doubt, and would even speak on his behalf in the meeting with other voters. Zimmerman said Thomas along with Ray Lewis were the premier linebackers of their time and that is why he is worthy of induction.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/08/the-post-practi.html

Zimmerman has championed a deserving Joe Klecko and Klecko has never even been a finalist. There's no way Zach is making the Hall unless he finishes out his career in dallas w/ 2-3 big seasons and Dallas is playing in 2 SBs while winning at least one.

I'm NOT a dolphin basher, i am honest. If I feel a dolphin deserves the recognition i give it to him. i think Marino is in the top 3 of best QBs of all time, I think Namatah is vastly overrated. Just b/c I don't feel Thomas or Taylor deserve the Hall doesn't mean I am saying so just b/c they are dolphins. Zach has been a good to really good player just not great, he and Taylor led their D's to the slaughterhouse early int their careers when they used to make the playoffs and neither one has played in a playoff game since the 2001 season. I think we all see how players from winning teams get the benefit of the doubt w/ the Hall, neither Zach or jason has done enough but jason is closer b/c of his DPOY award although zero sacks in 6-7 playoff games might cancel that out.

I'm NOT a dolphin basher, i am honest. If I feel a dolphin deserves the recognition i give it to him. i think Marino is in the top 3 of best QBs of all time, I think Namatah is vastly overrated. Just b/c I don't feel Thomas or Taylor deserve the Hall doesn't mean I am saying so just b/c they are dolphins. Zach has been a good to really good player just not great, he and Taylor led their D's to the slaughterhouse early int their careers when they used to make the playoffs and neither one has played in a playoff game since the 2001 season. I think we all see how players from winning teams get the benefit of the doubt w/ the Hall, neither Zach or jason has done enough but jason is closer b/c of his DPOY award although zero sacks in 6-7 playoff games might cancel that out.

Well i guess that saying:

- The 72 team is over rated and not that good
- The Dolphins shouldn't have won the playoff game against x year in x year when they did.
- The Dolphins wouldn't have won x playoff game in x year against x team had they had they beaten x team that they should have.
- The Dolphins aren't THAT much better than the Jets (:lol: this one makes me chuckle)
- Don Shula isn't as good as.....what was it, Bill Parcells because they have the same amount of rings? But Bill Parcells (because he's now with the Dolphins) isn't even good.
- Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas wont make the Hall of Fame, because they aren't great** (which i tend to agree with the most of all your arguments, although i think that both are great and Taylor especially should make it).

Makes you fair......:sidelol:

Keep going though, you entertain me :up:

Zimmerman has championed a deserving Joe Klecko and Klecko has never even been a finalist. There's no way Zach is making the Hall unless he finishes out his career in dallas w/ 2-3 big seasons and Dallas is playing in 2 SBs while winning at least one.

Yeah I keep chasing you around, blah blah.

But saying Zach is only good player but not great? :tongue:

Well i guess that saying:

- The 72 team is over rated and not that good
- The Dolphins shouldn't have won the playoff game against x year in x year when they did.
- The Dolphins wouldn't have won x playoff game in x year against x team had they had they beaten x team that they should have.
- The Dolphins aren't THAT much better than the Jets (:lol: this one makes me chuckle)
- Don Shula isn't as good as.....what was it, Bill Parcells because they have the same amount of rings? But Bill Parcells (because he's now with the Dolphins) isn't even good.
- Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas wont make the Hall of Fame, because they aren't great** (which i tend to agree with the most of all your arguments, although i think that both are great and Taylor especially should make it).

Makes you fair......:sidelol:

Keep going though, you entertain me :up:

-Show me where I said the '72 team wasn't great? I have simply said they weren't the best of all time and have said your '73 team was even BETTER.

-When did I say the dolphins shouldn't have won a particular playoff game?

-Sory I don't think you guys would have beaten SF in '94 or Chi in '84 had you reached the SB, I think most people would agree w/ me there.

-When did I say all-time the dolphins aren't that much better than the jets? I have always said the dolphins have eben the better franhise BUT the bottom line is you only have 1 more SB title than we have. You guys act like you are the Yankees of the NFL which clearly isn't the case.

-I don't think Shula was the best of all time, the best win more than 2 Championships in 30+ years. he was GREAT and one of the all-time gerats jist not the greatest.

-Taylor & Thomas led D's that were humiliated annually in the postseason when they used to make it. They neevr showed up for big games, tell me another D that had 2 HOFers on it that missed the playoffs 6 staright years?

If you actually read what I write instead of perceive what I write you'd see I am very fair.

Yeah I keep chasing you around, blah blah.

But saying Zach is only good player but not great? :tongue:

You guys have a higher opinion of him than most NFL fans do. He was a GOOD to really good player but never greta. you guys think he was great b/c of his high # of tackles which is comical b/c the teams keep the tackle stats and tackle stats are subjective. To even suggest Zach is anywhere near ray lewis is preposterous but if you don't say that on this board you are labeled as a dolphin hater. Zach is NOT going to the HOF unless he does something extraordinary the next few years but I'm not sure his body will allow him to play that long.

I believe that is correct, in fact i'm not entirely sure about this but Zach is right up there among the all-time leaders in tackles and could very well finish number one.

But to me i just dont regard him on the same level as players like Ray Lewis, who belongs with Taylor and Singletary and Lambert etc. Zach is right there on that next level, but i dont think he's one of those game changing linebackers who was among the best to ever play.

That being said i HOPE he gets in, i'd love to see it. But i dont think it will happen.

I respect your opinion,but you bring up the other lb's you listed and they were great I give you that. But don't you believe a lot of it has to do with the team you play for also? Their teams are very respected in this league i mean G-men, steelers and Bears. we've never really got a lot of it here no matter how good we were. There are other teams players as well. Just for one Joe Klecko in my opinion was won of the better players i've ever watch play, but because he played for the jets he wasn't talked about like say a Randy white just for instants. Don't get me wrong R. White was a great player I just think that if Joe would of played for Dallas we would of heard a lot more of Joe. I think that now that Jt plays for Wash and ZT plays for Dallas even the media will talk about them a lot more and help push them to the Hall!! I think they both should be there!:up:

Back
Top Bottom