Zach's Numbers Are Killing Him | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach's Numbers Are Killing Him

ErroneousFlint

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sooner or later ZT is not gonna be of any use to us; no play value, no trade value.

He's in his ninth year, puts up phenomenal numbers, therefore, now is the time to get something for him.

Linebackers these days have an average career span of what? 10 years?

He has never missed this many games and as you get older, you're not gonna heal any faster.

Do you really think that we will win a Superbowl by retaining him in his final years?

Soon he'll begin avoiding contact for fear of re-injury, merely existing out on the field.

I say that 10 years is the average career span of linebackers. It's more like 8 productive ones and ZT's 2004 numbers prove that he's more than just average.

Coakley - 8
Butkus - 9
Offerdahl - 9
Singletary - 11
Lambert - 11 and after year 8 productivity declined.

Sure, there are the exceptions:
LT - 13 (altogether different defense and how they used him)
Jack Ham - 12

But in three more years, what will be more important:

ZT retires a Dolphin
or
The Dolphins reach The Superbowl !!!

???

Pro-active thinking ......

Hate to tell you, I don't think he has much trade value now. Like you said if the average career of a LB is 10 years and he has played 9... who would trade for one year?

Put yourself in the other position. Would you want to trade anything for a good, but old middle linebacker that only has one maybe two good years left?

Oboy said:
Hate to tell you, I don't think he has much trade value now. Like you said if the average career of a LB is 10 years and he has played 9... who would trade for one year?

Put yourself in the other position. Would you want to trade anything for a good, but old middle linebacker that only has one maybe two good years left?
then why keep him?
i really cannot answer this. depending on my mood i guess. no, seriously, it depends on who you are and what you need/want? his numbers, the way they are, certainly gives him some trade value.

the same reason you want to keep him (those who raise numbers) reflects his trade value. and i dont care about anyone elses nees. i look at what Miami needs, and miamis future.

ErroneousFlint said:
then why keep him?
i really cannot answer this. depending on my mood i guess. no, seriously, it depends on who you are and what you need/want? his numbers, the way they are, certainly gives him some trade value.
Why not keep him? He will give us the one or two more good years. Just make sure to draft a replacement shortly.

Besides, he is the heart of this D. I agree with touborg, he will retire a phin.

Oboy said:
Why not keep him? He will give us the one or two more good years. Just make sure to draft a replacement shortly.

Besides, he is the heart of this D. I agree with touborg, he will retire a phin.
whenever i see the word besides i'm convinced : no conviction

and a replacement ? haha maybe depth, not a replacement.

as for his trade value, if you could get another pick to spend on young O would ya do it? considering how many rookies we see fall by the wayside in miami.

ErroneousFlint said:
Sooner or later ZT is not gonna be of any use to us; no play value, no trade value.

He's in his ninth year, puts up phenomenal numbers, therefore, now is the time to get something for him.

Linebackers these days have an average career span of what? 10 years?

He has never missed this many games and as you get older, you're not gonna heal any faster.

Do you really think that we will win a Superbowl by retaining him in his final years?

Soon he'll begin avoiding contact for fear of re-injury, merely existing out on the field.

I say that 10 years is the average career span of linebackers. It's more like 8 productive ones and ZT's 2004 numbers prove that he's more than just average.

Coakley - 8
Butkus - 9
Offerdahl - 9
Singletary - 11
Lambert - 11 and after year 8 productivity declined.

Sure, there are the exceptions:
LT - 13 (altogether different defense and how they used him)
Jack Ham - 12

But in three more years, what will be more important:

ZT retires a Dolphin
or
The Dolphins reach The Superbowl !!!

???

Pro-active thinking ......

SICKENING POST! REALITY OR NOT.

Look at the freaking salary he makes. Would you rather have Zach at mlb or Pope at mlb and a stud OT?

I say don't touch Z.T. he means too much to this defense every year he has the most tackles for this team and the closet person to him is always about 50 tackles behind him. He is the heart and soul of this defense.

Oboy said:
Just make sure to draft a replacement shortly.
I think the replacement is already on our roster.

touborg said:
ZT retires a Dolphin.

Him being on this team has nothing to do us not winning a super bowl.
Not stopping Culpepper a couple of years ago on a 4th & 2 helped keep Miami out of the playoffs.

saves said:
I think the replacement is already on out roster.
there ya go --- i thought i was the only one who could say it. you can respect what Thomas has done for us and identify his greatness by his numbers without neglecting our future, without having a hard-on for him.

Dphins4me said:
Not stopping Culpepper a couple of years ago on a 4th & 2 helped keep Miami out of the playoffs.
whats funny is that i think either new orleans or indianapolis played minnesota the game before and culpepper beat them the same exact way, 4th quarter also.

Back
Top Bottom