Zack Martin Better Than Last Year's Top Two Picks? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zack Martin Better Than Last Year's Top Two Picks?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I was listening to Kiper and Golic earlier today. Both agreed that Martin was better than Fisher and Joeckel, who were the top two picks in the draft last year, and I've heard the same from other analysts. Golic said that, as far as measurable's, he should be an inch taller and his arms should be an inch longer but the guy can just flat out play.

Kiper does not see him going top ten but close, and still thinks Miami could trade up to get him.

Not for nothing Golic is slightly biased. Is Martin better coming out of college, absolutely, but IMO the question on him is has he already hit his ceiling at tackle? I think he can be a decent tackle, but has the ability and skill set to be an elite guard. I think both Jockel and Fisher have the skill sets to be elite tackles. That makes their value IMO higher than Martin's coming out of college.

Not for nothing Golic is slightly biased. Is Martin better coming out of college, absolutely, but IMO the question on him is has he already hit his ceiling at tackle? I think he can be a decent tackle, but has the ability and skill set to be an elite guard. I think both Jockel and Fisher have the skill sets to be elite tackles. That makes their value IMO higher than Martin's coming out of college.

Yeah, Golic does see some things through "Irish Eye's" but, did not go overboard here. The ceiling is a valid question, which no one knows the answer to. I just find it interesting that we can trade up to get a player in the 10-12 range or less, who has higher regard than the top two picks, after trading up to get the guy after them.

if you ask me head to head as prospects yes martins the better player...the other 2 are overrated tackles...martins got more versatility and imo will be a better pro even if it is at guard long term...martin though is not on the same level as lane johnson last year coming out

martin may very well get drafted in the top 12 and you can bet if that's the case it's not cause he's viewed only as a nfl guard...

Martin is a guard.

IDK, the measurables say that, as well as a number of analyst but, that has proven wrong in the past. Seems to me that the downside in drafting him would be getting a Pro Bowl OG, and the upside would be getting a top ten OT. Not a lot of risk here.

logan mankins is an nfl guard that kicks outside to tackle without a hiccup in the clutch short term when needed...martins very similar...college tackle long term kick inside to guard...mankins isn't what he used to be but in his prime he was as dominant an offensive line player as you'd find

lane johnson however that may kick over to left tackle in a few years and not skip a beat in philly...serious athlete and talent there

Mike Golic is incapable of making an intelligent objective comment about any Notre Dame player, especially a good one who played with his sons and someone he knows very well. Zack Martin is very good and unfortunately appears to have gone up the chart, but please don't listen to Golic. The sole intention of the Kiper/Golic interview was to raise the Martin stock - ie doing his bit to help his sons good buddy's future earnings.
In politics they have to conclude with "This was a paid advertisement on behalf of the candidate..." Maybe ESPN should qualify some of their segments as advertisements on behalf of certain players.

Mike Golic is incapable of making an intelligent objective comment about any Notre Dame player, especially a good one who played with his sons and someone he knows very well. Zack Martin is very good and unfortunately appears to have gone up the chart, but please don't listen to Golic. The sole intention of the Kiper/Golic interview was to raise the Martin stock - ie doing his bit to help his sons good buddy's future earnings.
In politics they have to conclude with "This was a paid advertisement on behalf of the candidate..." Maybe ESPN should qualify some of their segments as advertisements on behalf of certain players.

I get what you're saying but, there were others saying the same. I remember Schlerith, Mayock, and there were others I cannot recall at the moment.

Martin will not be there at 19. The only way Miami gets him is by moving down. He will most likely go to the Giants but of course there are many smokescreens out there but I don't think Martin will be in Miami. Though it is a real shame fore I like martin a lot and he would solidify our line and Miami could spend the other rounds for other positions. I do like CJ Mosely at 19 but another WR would be nice : )

Like Manziel, Tebow, Bryce Harper, Jeter, Brady, LeBron, etc...?

Pretty simple to me, If Martin is gone we draft these 2 players in round1/2

OG Xavier Su'a-Filo
OT Cyrus Kouandjio

If Martin is there we draft:
OT Zack Martin
OG Gabe Jackson

If there is any way to get BOTH Martin and Su'a-Filo, we are set.

Either way any combination suits me.

Pretty simple to me, If Martin is gone we draft these 2 players in round1/2

OG Xavier Su'a-Filo
OT Cyrus Kouandjio

If Martin is there we draft:
OT Zack Martin
OG Gabe Jackson

If there is any way to get BOTH Martin and Su'a-Filo, we are set.

Either way any combination suits me.

For me that would be a dream 2 rounds for this team. I am a advocate of inside out football, and getting two starting caliber players for this line....leaves no excuses for anyone, including Tannehill.

Back
Top Bottom