Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 13 Edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 13 Edition

Don’t understand why the red zone play calling becomes an issue when you have a RB that’s been running angry all year. At least use the misdirection pass to Achane. Have not seen it since the Denver game and it worked twice. Plus throwing bubble screens and fades seem like low percentage plays down close. Finally, what about Claypool??? He’s a big body that seems like a legitimate threat. This team can’t overlook anyone and it showed tonight. I get worried when the media says it should be an easy win. Nothing is easy in the NFL.

What has happened to Waddle this season.
We have no T.E to catch the ball.
Everything thing is geared for Hill.
Chubb as usual always a step slow on his pass rush.
Our line and these injuries are so unlucky but that being said Eichenberg again and Jackson letting us down in key moments.
The defence played so passive at the end.
McDaniel and Tua had a huge chance to change the narrative and failed.
I wonder now if Tua should get a long term contract or have teams found him out

What has happened to Waddle this season.
We have no T.E to catch the ball.
Everything thing is geared for Hill.
Chubb as usual always a step slow on his pass rush.
Our line and these injuries are so unlucky but that being said Eichenberg again and Jackson letting us down in key moments.
The defence played so passive at the end.
McDaniel and Tua had a huge chance to change the narrative and failed.
I wonder now if Tua should get a long term contract or have teams found him out
Step slow? He's doubled most of the time and going against the best tackle. Farcical.

Describe tonight’s game in 2 words. My 2 are “Absolute Trash”. Basically, every wart that we feared would rear its ugly head in a game…Reared its ugly head. The makeup of the cream puff schedule we’ve had came off tonight and those warts were exposed. What warts am I speaking of? Read the grades and find out. On to the grades:

QB — D : Wart #1: Tua’s inability to throw outside the numbers when teams are taking away the middle of the field in umbrella coverage. This is absolutely real in all of our losses including tonight. His insistence on throwing over the middle could have gotten Waddle killed at least twice tonight. The fumble on the 5 was irresponsible. Blame the snap on whoever…But Tua should have been aware enough to just cover it. Nowhere near Tua’s best night tonight and I have removed him from any MVP conversation after that performance.

RB — C - : Wart #2: No “Big Back” option to get tough yards. It hurt us tonight for sure. I’ll say that Mostert and Achane had decent games running behind a porous OL. To be honest, the RB’s were the best unit on the team tonight along with the WR’s. Although, Achane had a chance for the first down at the end and unsuccessfully tried to go out of bounds short of the marker. Not a good decision.

WR’s — C - : Wart #3: Not having a receiver that can take over the #1 role if Hill goes down. To be fair….No one can replace Hill. But the problem is no one can play like a #1 if he goes down. Obviously, the Titans took Waddle out of the game while Hill was out. Credit to them. To me….Hill is the MVP of the league. Period. Tonight proved it.

TE’s — F : Wart # 4: No TE that is even remotely a threat in the red zone. The fact that we throw fades to a 5’6” receiver proves this one. The TE run blocking tonight was atrocious. This wart bit us big tonight. Awful performance. Hopefully, Julian Hill has a better year next year….He was terrible tonight.

OL — F : Wart # 5 & 6: Eichenberg and Jackson. After singing their praises against the weak teams on our schedule, they were horrendous tonight. Actually, so was the entire OL. Connor Williams going down hurt in a BAD way tonight. If he’s out for the year….That’s BAD news. Period. Let’s hope we get Hunt back and Armstead returns for 5 or 6 plays this year before body parts start falling off of him.

DL — D + : Wart # 7: A total lack of any quality depth behind Wilkins and Sieler. Those 2 were absolutely gassed from the 4th quarter on. The lack of depth here bit us in the ass in a big way. The inability to get to the QB in the 4th quarter was one of the reasons we lost this game. Will Levis looked like Peyton Manning tonight. That’s just disappointing.

LB’s — D + : Wart # 8: The inability or our LB’s to cover any TE or RB was apparent again. Credit Chubb for getting pressure a few times….But he was really the only consistent backer all night. Long had a play or two…But that was it. Van Ginko was invisible as well.

DB’s — F : Wart # 9: The complete inability to get off the field on 3rd down. What the **** happened here tonight? We let 1 player beat us. And he definitely beat us. D. Hopkins had a great night. Yes…He got away with an OPI. No doubt. But he had a huge game and our insistence on not double teaming him cost us. The soft coverage from 3:40 on in the 4th quarter is inexcusable….But I’ll go further into that in the coaching section.

ST’s — F : Wart # 10: Our Special Teams units. Period. A line drive kickoff. A line drive punt. A blocked field goal. Are you kidding me with this unit?? Disgusting performance. Keep in mind…They get the F even though they recovered a muffed punt that put us ahead late in the game. That’s a special kind of bad. Pun intended.

Coaching — F : Wart # 11: Mike McDaniel not getting plays in on time. This trumps Wart # 12: Mike McDaniels stupid challenges that almost NEVER win. The coaching tonight was worse than bad. Abandoning the running game in the red zone? Why? Throwing a fade to Hill? Why? The bad challenge. Why? Not running max protect on the final drive? Why? Not going after a rookie corner? Why? Not getting the plays in on time that cost us a TO? WHY??? Wart # 14: Fangio’s complete refusal to bring pressure. Why?? I’m dumbfounded. Why would you play soft zone EVERY SINGLE PLAY as the Titans walked down the field. I actually believe the Titans would have taken longer to score if we would have taken our defense completely off the field. Pathetic doesn’t really cover it.

Conclusion: The coaching tonight was incredibly bad. The players also didn’t help themselves…But I have to blame coaching for what could be one of the worst losses in Miami Dolphins history. How devastating is this loss? We’ll see. But make no mistake about it…Up 14 points with 3:00 minutes to play and to lose that game at home is really tragic. You might say I’m being hyperbolic here…But I don’t think I am. Let’s hope there is no let down…But I have a suspicion there might be a big one.
Outside of Mostert, every player/coach on the team deserves an F. We are starting to see the limits of our roster with all the injuries on offense.

Our OL has been much, much worse than the numbers have shown all year. Tua has less than. 2.5 seconds to throw and as long as the offense is clicking, the ball comes out quick and we say “look how good the OL played”. The reality is he would get hit by 2-3 guys every play if he held the ball even close to the league average for QBs.

Beyond that, we have zero TEs on the roster worth anything as receivers. We have a bunch of low end options at WR behind Hill and Waddle. I think Wilson is our biggest WR (who consistently plays) and he is a whopping 6’2” and 195lbs. I say this because we routinely struggle with secondaries that play physical and the Titans had hands all over guys all night.

I would add that McDaniel is the most easy to predict play caller in the league and teams take advantage of us on 3rd and 4th down. 90% of the time if we have less blockers than defenders in the box it will be a pass. If they are getting to Tua we throw quick passes that don’t work. It is becoming clear as injuries mount, that we don’t have faith in all our back ups playing.

My last thought is that I do not blame Tua for the loss (in the same sense people here are). We all wanted him to be “that guy” who lead the team down the field into FG range and we squeak out a 30-28 win. That being said, our play calling on that drive never even gave him a chance to try to lead us to a win. People get all worked up because he took a sack on the last play; there was no one open and we had no time outs. If we wanted to win we could not afford two short passes in the center of the field that gained 7 yards and cost us 50 seconds on the clock.

Every player and coach on our team worked hard for their F grade last night. It was an absolutely heinous performance on national TV.

I thought the game was nuts. Everything they could do wrong at the last 4 minutes, they did do wrong. This loss, however, I think falls directly on the coaches, especially McDaniel. Screens behind the line of scrimmage, fades to tiny wide receivers, and that pass play to Hill where he got hurt should never be called again. It’s like he’s playing Madden all day every day.

It’s baffling, why call those fades? Such a low percentage play
It worked once against the Chargers week one to win the game. The issue is it hasn't worked sense. Calling three straight pass plays on the goal line is absolutely infuriating and we see that **** all the time from him

I find it hard to believe there is not some old vet TE on his couch or a TE on a practice squad that isn't better than Hill.
Hell, bring in a 6th Offensive lineman over him.

It worked once against the Chargers week one to win the game. The issue is it hasn't worked sense. Calling three straight pass plays on the goal line is absolutely infuriating and we see that **** all the time from him
Well im fairness Reek did drop a sitter a couple weeks back on the same play. But yeah get Ingold with a head of steam and get Mostert behind him 4 x in a row.

Describe tonight’s game in 2 words. My 2 are “Absolute Trash”. Basically, every wart that we feared would rear its ugly head in a game…Reared its ugly head. The makeup of the cream puff schedule we’ve had came off tonight and those warts were exposed. What warts am I speaking of? Read the grades and find out. On to the grades:

QB — D : Wart #1: Tua’s inability to throw outside the numbers when teams are taking away the middle of the field in umbrella coverage. This is absolutely real in all of our losses including tonight. His insistence on throwing over the middle could have gotten Waddle killed at least twice tonight. The fumble on the 5 was irresponsible. Blame the snap on whoever…But Tua should have been aware enough to just cover it. Nowhere near Tua’s best night tonight and I have removed him from any MVP conversation after that performance.

RB — C - : Wart #2: No “Big Back” option to get tough yards. It hurt us tonight for sure. I’ll say that Mostert and Achane had decent games running behind a porous OL. To be honest, the RB’s were the best unit on the team tonight along with the WR’s. Although, Achane had a chance for the first down at the end and unsuccessfully tried to go out of bounds short of the marker. Not a good decision.

WR’s — C - : Wart #3: Not having a receiver that can take over the #1 role if Hill goes down. To be fair….No one can replace Hill. But the problem is no one can play like a #1 if he goes down. Obviously, the Titans took Waddle out of the game while Hill was out. Credit to them. To me….Hill is the MVP of the league. Period. Tonight proved it.

TE’s — F : Wart # 4: No TE that is even remotely a threat in the red zone. The fact that we throw fades to a 5’6” receiver proves this one. The TE run blocking tonight was atrocious. This wart bit us big tonight. Awful performance. Hopefully, Julian Hill has a better year next year….He was terrible tonight.

OL — F : Wart # 5 & 6: Eichenberg and Jackson. After singing their praises against the weak teams on our schedule, they were horrendous tonight. Actually, so was the entire OL. Connor Williams going down hurt in a BAD way tonight. If he’s out for the year….That’s BAD news. Period. Let’s hope we get Hunt back and Armstead returns for 5 or 6 plays this year before body parts start falling off of him.

DL — D + : Wart # 7: A total lack of any quality depth behind Wilkins and Sieler. Those 2 were absolutely gassed from the 4th quarter on. The lack of depth here bit us in the ass in a big way. The inability to get to the QB in the 4th quarter was one of the reasons we lost this game. Will Levis looked like Peyton Manning tonight. That’s just disappointing.

LB’s — D + : Wart # 8: The inability or our LB’s to cover any TE or RB was apparent again. Credit Chubb for getting pressure a few times….But he was really the only consistent backer all night. Long had a play or two…But that was it. Van Ginko was invisible as well.

DB’s — F : Wart # 9: The complete inability to get off the field on 3rd down. What the **** happened here tonight? We let 1 player beat us. And he definitely beat us. D. Hopkins had a great night. Yes…He got away with an OPI. No doubt. But he had a huge game and our insistence on not double teaming him cost us. The soft coverage from 3:40 on in the 4th quarter is inexcusable….But I’ll go further into that in the coaching section.

ST’s — F : Wart # 10: Our Special Teams units. Period. A line drive kickoff. A line drive punt. A blocked field goal. Are you kidding me with this unit?? Disgusting performance. Keep in mind…They get the F even though they recovered a muffed punt that put us ahead late in the game. That’s a special kind of bad. Pun intended.

Coaching — F : Wart # 11: Mike McDaniel not getting plays in on time. This trumps Wart # 12: Mike McDaniels stupid challenges that almost NEVER win. The coaching tonight was worse than bad. Abandoning the running game in the red zone? Why? Throwing a fade to Hill? Why? The bad challenge. Why? Not running max protect on the final drive? Why? Not going after a rookie corner? Why? Not getting the plays in on time that cost us a TO? WHY??? Wart # 14: Fangio’s complete refusal to bring pressure. Why?? I’m dumbfounded. Why would you play soft zone EVERY SINGLE PLAY as the Titans walked down the field. I actually believe the Titans would have taken longer to score if we would have taken our defense completely off the field. Pathetic doesn’t really cover it.

Conclusion: The coaching tonight was incredibly bad. The players also didn’t help themselves…But I have to blame coaching for what could be one of the worst losses in Miami Dolphins history. How devastating is this loss? We’ll see. But make no mistake about it…Up 14 points with 3:00 minutes to play and to lose that game at home is really tragic. You might say I’m being hyperbolic here…But I don’t think I am. Let’s hope there is no let down…But I have a suspicion there might be a big one.
you nailed it, right on. What an interesting off-season we'll have once again. Here I thought we could fill in a piece or two and get a lb. Now do we dismantle a bit and sign Tua to 40 mil/yr and prey Reek can play every down next year? We're Ricky Williams'ing him, his career should be nice and short. McD needs some tuning and I hope he realizes it, he's a lambo with no mechanic as is our O.

How dare you

I’m really looking forward to another week of staring at the injury report and listening to McD talk about injuries like he’s completely lost. Then, he’ll sit Tyreek, Holland, Armstead, Hunt, and Elliott against the Jets because he thinks his team is good enough that he can rest guys and still win games.

Did anyone see the Blake Ferguson penalty after the second Mostert TD?

Would love to get my eyes on that play and see why our LS decided to make that second the last drive easier for Tennessee?
Exactly! Chubb get **** on deservably but this penalty cost is 20-30 yards.

Back
Top Bottom