Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 17 Edition | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 17 Edition

DZimmer000

BJJ Black Belt
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, you just witnessed the culmination of one of the biggest choke jobs in Miami Dolphins history. A 3 game lead in the division has now evaporated and the Bills are AFC East champs. There is no doubt that Mike McDaniel is guilty as charged for Yesterday’s loss and ultimately for us losing the division. Is it all his fault? No. But he has a huge chunk of the blame here. On to the grades:

QB — F : A complete disaster again. Tua’s second “F” grade in a row and I don’t think the word “disappointing” covers it here. 17 of 27 for 173 isn’t good. The 2 Picks were awful throws. In another big game….Actually the biggest game of the year…Tua comes up small. The problem now becomes this: Tua is going to want to be paid Top 5 QB money. I think this season he’s proven he’s not a top 5 QB in this league. So…Do we pay it? That’s a question for another day…But Yesterday’s performance was abysmal. Period.

RB — C + : Achane had some very good runs yesterday. I really think he’s a star in the making. I’m looking for at least 1200 yards on the ground out of him next year. Jeff Wilson also ran hard. Both RB’s were over the magic 5.0 YPC mark. They were a definite bright spot in an offense that did little else.

TE’s — D + : Smythe with 3 catches and J. hill with 1 yesterday. Not great but not horrible either. A very pedestrian day for this group when we needed more out of them in the blocking and receiving games.

WR’s — F : Sean McDermott took Tyreek out of the game the entire 2nd half. The safety on his side was consistently over the top of every route Hill ran. Did anyone else step up in single coverage? Spoiler Alert: Not even close. Pathetic. Another group that failed miserably. I will note here that Tua’s play didn’t help these guys out in any way.

OL — D +: 1 sack allowed. That’s it. Tua had time most of the day. However, there were some jailbreaks that forced Tua off of his spot. Regardless, this unit played a game I would consider barely passable. The blocking in general wasn’t what we needed to win against a good defense.

DL — B - : These guys allowed 128 yards rushing total. That’s not bad against the Bills. Wilkins with the strip sack and recovery was nice to see out of a guy that wants to get paid. Sieler had a half a sack to add in. In general the defense played more than well enough to win.The problem was they couldn’t get off the field when we needed to.

LB’s — C - : Yes, this unit is beyond depleted. Except for the fact that none of them can cover a tight end…. They played a decent game. Ingram with a sack and a half was nice. Baker was active. Again, a decent game….Except for the damage that TE’s continue to do to us.

DB’s — B - : Apple and Elliot with picks in the end zone. That should be good enough to win right there. This unit definitely did enough to win this game. Unfortunately, the offense didn’t cooperate.

ST’s — F : Bailey out kicked the coverage and we give up an incredibly costly punt return for a TD. Awful. Nothing more to say here.

Coaching — F : In actuality, Fangio gets a passing grade here. His defense played more than well enough for the W. But….Fangio couldn’t overcome the ST’s disaster and the inept offense that was put on the field yesterday. McDaniel still has no answer for Hill being covered nor the 2 high shell coverage. Is some of this Tua’s fault? Absolutely. But our Genius HC has to come up with something or our playoff run will be 1 game.

Conclusion : A horrible night last night and more questions are arising. Is McDaniel the right coach? Is Tua the right QB? Is Grier the right GM? Well….Those answers are yet to be com…But I can say this….All of them were wrong yesterday. I’m only grading on yesterday’s game…But to choke away a 3 game lead in your division is leaving a horrible taste in my mouth. It’s inexcusable. Do I have all the answers? Nope. And I don’t ever claim to. But there needs to be some deep thought put into this off season.

Sorry but this grading is off as the Team was up 14-7 at halftime and the defense only gave up 10 points.

Wr and special teams and McDaniel lost this game. Not the Defense not Tua.

Tyreek drops a 3rd down conversion and a TD on the last drive. Go watch the film.
Special teams broke down at the absolute worst time.
Not running the ball in the second half is just plain stupid after average 7-8 in the 1st half which netted a 14-7 advantage

Still convinced that McDaniels riffs through the playsheet with no plan at all. As soon as things stop working its a dumpster fire. Speaking of fire WTF is Flores ST coach still doing here anyway.

Crossman needs to find greener pastures.
Wasted defensive effort and I expect a letdown by a tired defense against the chiefs.
The offense has to expand from just Waddle, Hill, Achane and Mosert as they get to beat up and we are not using the entire field. Why is this not happening already is it because of Tuas limitations as a QB or McDaniels playcalling.
The oline for all its issues with backups and injuries I felt played at a decent level along with our running backs when given the opportunity.

Last edited:
Tua Hill McDaniel and punt coverage unit are responsible for the loss. The WR room stinks outside of Hill and Waddle and when Waddle or Hill is missing like the last 2 weeks with Waddle being out it’s abysmal. Proud of the defense. They played inspiring winning football for a side of the ball that is absolutely decimated. It’s no doubt who the leader of the team is and it’s Wilkins. He plays with passion and heart. Leaves everything on the field. If the Dolphins lose him in the offseason this team will go from good to bad quick

There’s no legitimate reason to give the offensive line a D+. A few penalties. That was their only negative. They faced a very strong Bills d-line and made them invisible.

Giving the WRs an F makes perfect sense. No mention of the Tyreek drops makes less sense.

The defense made enough big plays to give Miami a chance. But the offense came up small in the second half.

Tua has taken too many chances lately. I think there were open receivers underneath on that final interception. And enough time on the clock not to panic, or force things.

That Wilkins play was phenomenal, reminding me of one Manny Fernandez made years ago.

Add in the two interceptions, the stop by Baker before the half and the 4th down and one win for the D, which gave the Dolphins hope at the end.

Very disappointing ending obviously. Tua hasn't been clutch enough this season. I know there are injuries, but he's got to step up.

Honestly, Tua has to ball for Miami to have any playoff success.

Two weeks in a row the best WR in the NFL did our QB dirty. Tua gets an F, but Hill’s 1st drop forced a 3 and out punt and his 2nd drop would have been a 50 yard TD to tie the game 21-21. Two plays later Tua threw the INT everyone on this forum is crying about. Imagine how the narrative changes if the best player on our team does the job he is paid to do (not like he is the highest paid WR in the NFL or anything). Watch the tape. I will say it right now; Hill dropped arguably the best two passes Tua made the entire game.

I’m sorry but Hill and Waddle didn’t even play every game and they had almost 20 drops combined. Not from contact. Just from a lack of concentration or the yips. It is not an exaggeration to say Tua could have had 8-10 more TDs this year, minimum, if people didn’t drop routine catch balls.

I love the effort put into the grades each week. I just see a lot of people who need just as much blame as Tua in these losses.

I think the special team is also affected by all of the injuries. We now have core special teams players starting and now doing double duty. Recipe for disaster

Ladies and Gentlemen, you just witnessed the culmination of one of the biggest choke jobs in Miami Dolphins history. A 3 game lead in the division has now evaporated and the Bills are AFC East champs. There is no doubt that Mike McDaniel is guilty as charged for Yesterday’s loss and ultimately for us losing the division. Is it all his fault? No. But he has a huge chunk of the blame here. On to the grades:

QB — F : A complete disaster again. Tua’s second “F” grade in a row and I don’t think the word “disappointing” covers it here. 17 of 27 for 173 isn’t good. The 2 Picks were awful throws. In another big game….Actually the biggest game of the year…Tua comes up small. The problem now becomes this: Tua is going to want to be paid Top 5 QB money. I think this season he’s proven he’s not a top 5 QB in this league. So…Do we pay it? That’s a question for another day…But Yesterday’s performance was abysmal. Period.

RB — C + : Achane had some very good runs yesterday. I really think he’s a star in the making. I’m looking for at least 1200 yards on the ground out of him next year. Jeff Wilson also ran hard. Both RB’s were over the magic 5.0 YPC mark. They were a definite bright spot in an offense that did little else.

TE’s — D + : Smythe with 3 catches and J. hill with 1 yesterday. Not great but not horrible either. A very pedestrian day for this group when we needed more out of them in the blocking and receiving games.

WR’s — F : Sean McDermott took Tyreek out of the game the entire 2nd half. The safety on his side was consistently over the top of every route Hill ran. Did anyone else step up in single coverage? Spoiler Alert: Not even close. Pathetic. Another group that failed miserably. I will note here that Tua’s play didn’t help these guys out in any way.

OL — D +: 1 sack allowed. That’s it. Tua had time most of the day. However, there were some jailbreaks that forced Tua off of his spot. Regardless, this unit played a game I would consider barely passable. The blocking in general wasn’t what we needed to win against a good defense.

DL — B - : These guys allowed 128 yards rushing total. That’s not bad against the Bills. Wilkins with the strip sack and recovery was nice to see out of a guy that wants to get paid. Sieler had a half a sack to add in. In general the defense played more than well enough to win.The problem was they couldn’t get off the field when we needed to.

LB’s — C - : Yes, this unit is beyond depleted. Except for the fact that none of them can cover a tight end…. They played a decent game. Ingram with a sack and a half was nice. Baker was active. Again, a decent game….Except for the damage that TE’s continue to do to us.

DB’s — B - : Apple and Elliot with picks in the end zone. That should be good enough to win right there. This unit definitely did enough to win this game. Unfortunately, the offense didn’t cooperate.

ST’s — F : Bailey out kicked the coverage and we give up an incredibly costly punt return for a TD. Awful. Nothing more to say here.

Coaching — F : In actuality, Fangio gets a passing grade here. His defense played more than well enough for the W. But….Fangio couldn’t overcome the ST’s disaster and the inept offense that was put on the field yesterday. McDaniel still has no answer for Hill being covered nor the 2 high shell coverage. Is some of this Tua’s fault? Absolutely. But our Genius HC has to come up with something or our playoff run will be 1 game.

Conclusion : A horrible night last night and more questions are arising. Is McDaniel the right coach? Is Tua the right QB? Is Grier the right GM? Well….Those answers are yet to be com…But I can say this….All of them were wrong yesterday. I’m only grading on yesterday’s game…But to choke away a 3 game lead in your division is leaving a horrible taste in my mouth. It’s inexcusable. Do I have all the answers? Nope. And I don’t ever claim to. But there needs to be some deep thought put into this off season.
Awesome job!! I agree with all of those grades!

Sorry but this grading is off as the Team was up 14-7 at halftime and the defense only gave up 10 points.

Wr and special teams and McDaniel lost this game. Not the Defense not Tua.

Tyreek drops a 3rd down conversion and a TD on the last drive. Go watch the film.
Special teams broke down at the absolute worst time.
Not running the ball in the second half is just plain stupid after average 7-8 in the 1st half which netted a 14-7 advantage
Not Tua? 😂

Crossman needs to find greener pastures.
Wasted defensive effort and I expect a letdown by a tired defense against the chiefs.
The offense has to expand from just Waddle, Hill, Achane and Mosert as they get to beat up and we are not using the entire field. Why is this not happening already is it because of Tuas limitations as a QB or McDaniels playcalling.
The oline for all its issues with backups and injuries I felt played at a decent level along with our running backs when given the opportunity.

I'd love for someone with time to watch All-22 and inform us if anyone not named TH/Waddle were open. I know they were, just from the TV angles, but seldom targeted. I'll not dump on the receivers until I know whether their lack of targets was loss of separation or TT obsessed with TH/waddle. I agree, the O has to target more receivers. I find it hard to believe TH is double/triple covered and no other receiver has 3 yds separation

After watching the video in the post about Hill and drops it is puzzling and frustrating to see Tyreek drop so many key passes during games. He does a ton of great stuff but really needs to focus and make plays. Couple other points:

*If Buffalo can float a safety over Hill and negate his impact why can’t we do the same to Diggs, Flowers, AJ.Brown, Lamb…. when we are on defense?

* Why don’t we run more iso with Hill and have trips to the short side and Hill alone on the wide side. We can even have a slot WR there and bring him in motion to the formation to see if they are in man or zone. If they don’t give the db help you have a one v one with Tyreek. If not you have 10 on 9, and then can run crossers with Hill and the opposite Y or Z receiver. If they are in man it is too hard to keep up all the way across the field and easy 10-12 yard throws for Tua.

* I know we had a ton of injuries and some are bad luck, but really need to look into our S&C program and why we are getting crushed with them.

*McDaniel needs to quit with the cute play calling trying to be the. OST creative in the league and find out what worked, play to our strengths, and quit calling 3 straight runs or 3 straight passes. He seems to get flustered and then tightens up and we suffer.

* Love Tyreek but if he is only going to play 1-2 more seasons I would listen to offers. Someone can be desperate enough and offer a pair of 1’s - Dallas and Jerry or someone like Carolina or Washington or Chicago who needs help at the WR spot. Imagine a couple of high firsts with help for the cap.

Back
Top Bottom