Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 4 Edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 4 Edition

I kept saying tonight: if you told me 3-1 after this game before the season started, I would celebrate.

Somehow, I couldn’t embrace that during the game.

The whole game had an annoying feel to it. I really didn’t think there was a lot of energy or emotion in the game from either team.

Yeah there were little celebrations. But it felt like I was watching a couple of teams going through the motions, trying to get through the night with a win.

I kept saying tonight: if you told me 3-1 after this game before the season started, I would celebrate.

Somehow, I couldn’t embrace that during the game.

The whole game had an annoying feel to it. I really didn’t think there was a lot of energy or emotion in the game from either team.

Yeah there were little celebrations. But it felt like I was watching a couple of teams going through the motions, trying to get through the night with a win.
This

Tough game. It was hard to expect a win on the road during a short week.

Agree Miami probably wins it if Tua doesn't get hurt. Actually, looks like he might have been able to run on that play before he turned it back inside. Brutal hit.

A dropped touchdown pass by Edmunds, a missed extra point and field goal. The Dolphins definitely hurt themselves.

I thought Wilkins played well. Roberts too. The D gave Miami a chance. Agree Howard must be hurt.

Have to get the run game going.
Howard came out of the game w a groin injury and was shown on the sideline w it all wrapped up. He went to official “questionable to return” status. He’s been playing through it / hope he can rest up and take care of it

I thought the D looked good.

A little annoyed on the pass X got toasted on… looked like he was saying on the sideline he lost sight of the ball, which made sense when I watched the replay.

I thought the play calling on O was a little odd with all the long shots early in the game… especially if Tua wasn’t feeling right… quick/short passes should be easier… seemed like the gameplan was to push the ball upfield more than usual.

I knew we were going to lose this game. So seeing how we shoulda/coulda won makes me feel okay. We didn’t get outcoached or outclassed… we were tired, on the road, and without a few starters by halftime. All in all, the letdown game was going to come, 3-1 out of the first 4 is excellent.

Losing Tua was quite brutal, though.

Dolphins we’re sloppy from the beginning, too many penalties on offense killed the rhythm.
Defense started off weak, seemed the Bengals were consistently running 3rd and short which kept an exhausted unit on the field more than they should have been.
Left too many points on the field, dropped TD that hit Edmonds in the hands, blocked FG, missed PAT not acceptable.
The Worst part is the question mark that is Tua. Bad back, concussion, whatever he has, neurological injuries in a violent sport like football is scary. Teddy is not capable of throwing 6 TD in a game and without elite QB play you can’t beat better teams in the NFL.

Tua was obviously pressing. I don't know if he was reading Twitter, but after slicing the Cincinnati D to ribbons on 10-20 yard passes, he kept looking for the go and post balls when there was safety help. On the horrific injury, he had plenty of time to get rid of the ball - again, pressing. He had no plays like that vs Buffalo or Baltimore. Prior to the Cincinnati game, Tua had been playing elite ball, because he was playing to his strengths, which are significant. In Cincinnati, he was playing like someone trying to prove that his weaknesses are not, in fact, weaknesses. There's a time and a place for doing that, but it's not when you're winning with your strengths, which Tua was vs Cincinnati (until he started playing outside of himself).

More than anything, I hope Tua is alright.

Boyer called a bad game. He started the game poorly vs Baltimore and Buffalo but made the necessary adjustments. Against Cincinnati, he started poorly and continued to put his defenders in tough spots FOR NO REASON. Cincinnati has a bad offense, mostly Taylor's fault, but if you give them 1-on-1's consistently, they'll make big plays, because they have a top-2 WR unit, and Burrow is good at giving them opportunities to make plays.

It was a road game on a short week, after a huge hard fought game the prior Sunday. I didn't think Miami had a chance. But they played hard and fought. Unfortunately they couldn't pull it off. Howard gave it his best shot on one leg. Hopefully they'll get healthier by the next game. Tua included.

Tua was obviously pressing. I don't know if he was reading Twitter, but after slicing the Cincinnati D to ribbons on 10-20 yard passes, he kept looking for the go and post balls when there was safety help. On the horrific injury, he had plenty of time to get rid of the ball - again, pressing. He had no plays like that vs Buffalo or Baltimore. Prior to the Cincinnati game, Tua had been playing elite ball, because he was playing to his strengths, which are significant. In Cincinnati, he was playing like someone trying to prove that his weaknesses are not, in fact, weaknesses. There's a time and a place for doing that, but it's not when you're winning with your strengths, which Tua was vs Cincinnati (until he started playing outside of himself).

More than anything, I hope Tua is alright.

Boyer called a bad game. He started the game poorly vs Baltimore and Buffalo but made the necessary adjustments. Against Cincinnati, he started poorly and continued to put his defenders in tough spots FOR NO REASON. Cincinnati has a bad offense, mostly Taylor's fault, but if you give them 1-on-1's consistently, they'll make big plays, because they have a top-2 WR unit, and Burrow is good at giving them opportunities to make plays.
I'm starting to question Boyer. I've noticed the same things about him. He continues to put his players in some really tough spots.

Great post.

For me specifically with Phillips they way we rotate him and use him is way off his platform.

Miami's 4th down defense stood tall once again, making a huge stop. They seem to have a knack.

The defense reminds me of Tom Olivadotti in terms of style most of the time. I know, I know.... Byron Jones is out and Howard is hobbled. Other than the red zone, we look like an extremely porous defense.

But this bend but don't break style is infuriating to watch. How many games am I going to have to watch the field wide open from 5-10 yards for a pass -- with no one getting to the QB?

There are times where you have to wonder if the scheme is bad, or the defenders don't know their responsibilities. Two prime examples: 1) The first TD against Buffalo. We blitz over the LT leaving a 2 v 1 on the left side? There wasn't another dolphin to cover the second receiver within 15 yards at the snap. 2) in the second half yesterday there was a play where everyone was covered and someone leaked out to the left sideline almost immediately. He was just sitting there waiting while Burrow scanned the field. He catches the ball and goes 8 yards before anyone touches him. How does that happen so often?

They play zone at times, and frankly are not good at it. Their strength is press man. There are other times where just before the snap, or CBs bail and run 10 yards backwards, and it isn't 3rd and 20.

It honestly feels like most 3rd down stops are failures by the offense rather than stops by the defense. Last night I found myself hoping MM could get Vic Fangio to be his DC next year.

Back
Top Bottom