Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 7 Edition | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 7 Edition

DZimmer000

BJJ Black Belt
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There are wins that you feel good about (Bills, Ravens, Patriots). There are also wins that frustrate you because we could have played so much better. Last night was one of those wins. I’m happy we won….But oh so unhappy about the way we won. On to the grades where I’ll explain my frustrations:

QB — The Good: No head injuries and no interceptions that were actually caught by Steeler defensive backs. Tua did make some nice throws and kept some drives alive. 21 of 35 for 261 Yards and a TD is a decent night.

The Bad: There we’re about 5 balls that should have been intercepted by Pittsburgh. That’s concerning to me. 3 of those throws were right in the hands of Steeler defenders. Tua missed high on a few throws that could have been caught and generally was a little off last night.

The Grade: C - . A little below average outing that really could have and should have been worse. We can chalk it up to rust. However, I really think play-calling has a lot to do with Tua’s below average performance. I’ll get into that subject in the coaching section.

RB’s — The Good: Mostert had a good game in general. 16 rushes for 79 yards was good last night. A few nice runs by Mostert had the Steelers on their heels at times. Add in 4 catches for 30 more yards with the only TD catch of the night and this grade belongs to Mostert.

The Bad: Besides Mostert there was no running game. Edmonds is just not effective when he has the ball in his hands. 17 yards on 7 rushes doesn’t really cut it. Especially getting shut down on 3rd and 4th down like he was. But again, I’m not a big fan of how he’s being used by this coaching staff.

The Grade: B - . Mostert is playing good ball. He’s been a pleasant surprise. Edmonds not so much. This Grade is definitely because of Mostert.

WR’s — The Good: Waddle, Hill and Sherfield were the receiving corp last night. Hill’s 7 catches for 72 yards were all big catches. Waddle had 4 catches for 88 yards and they were clutch as well. Sherfield kicked in 3 catches for 44 yards is what was a decent night for this crew.

The Bad: Most of the WR catches were off of an RPO look and right in center field. A couple deep shots to Hill weren’t on and impossible to complete. Hill looked a little off last night to be honest.

The Grade: B + . Another decent night for this group. Again, the play-calling has to change.

TE’s — The Good: 3 Catches for 27 yards was nice. All 3 catches helped in a big way for Gesicki.

The Bad: Gesicki was targeted 7 times and comes down with 3. Not much separation by Gesicki on the other 4 targets. No other TE made a catch.

The Grade: C - . Gesicki is better that what he showed last night. Period. We really need more production out of this group.

OL — The Good: Tua had some time to throw. These guys didn’t allow a recorded sack all night. We had over 100 yards rushing all tolled. Not a horrible outing by these guys and Armstead makes a HUGE difference on this line.

The Bad: There was no push on critical running plays when we needed it. The pocket broke down a few times way too early. Eichenberg is still not good.

The Grade: C . Overall, not a bad effort. We still need to clean some stuff up here….But it was a decent night for these guys.

DL — The Good: Some decent run stops when we needed it. Wilkins played well with 4 solo’s and a half sack. We only gave up 95 yards total rushing.

The Bad: As usual, nowhere near enough pressure on a rookie QB. We got gashed on a few runs…Although not too bad. The lack of pressure has gone from a minor concern to a major problem.

The Grade: C + . We held when we needed. That’s huge. The lack of a higher grade is due to the lack of pressure on the QB. That has to be addressed at some point.

LB’s — The Good: Jaelan Phillips was a man possessed after the half. I think he took his lack of production in the first half personally. 1.5 sacks and some determined play in the 2nd half helped a lot. Ingram was getting close there for awhile. Van Ginko and Riley had a few nice tackles.

The Bad: Not enough pressure on the QB in general. Too many plays were negative for these guys. Baker was invisible.

The Grade: B - . Actually not too bad by these guys. I’d like to see better, but holding an NFL team to 10 points is good enough.

DB’s — The Good: Great interceptions on all 3 picks by the boys here. MAD CREDIT to Noah Ig-Burned-Agony for the game saving pick. I hope this gives him some confidence going forward. Holland played a great ball game.

The Bad: Noah was picked on and responded as expected to be honest. Beat for the TD. His first play on the out and up should have been another TD but was a complete miss by Pickett. X was OK. He’s nowhere near where he was last year. That’s a fact.

The Grade: B . When you grab 3 picks from a QB and hold the opposition to 10 points….You’re doing something right. Especially with the absolute lack of support from the front 7.

ST’s — The Good: Sanders went 3 for 3. Morstead was decent as well. The coverage units were good in general.

The Bad: 1 bad punt by Morstead. Other than that…..Not too bad.

The Grade: B . Better night overall by these guys.

Coaching —The Good: I know this is gonna piss people off…..But not much here again.

The Bad: Where do I start? Not going for 3 to get your team up by 2 scores? The total lack of diversity in the play calling? Calling 2 running plays to your clearly inferior 2nd string RB and missing the 4th down conversion? How about no Jet Sweeps? How about no slants? How about getting the ball back with 2:51 seconds left and rolling Tua out on 3rd down with only 2 guys to the roll out side in a pattern? Pittsburgh got the ball back with 2:30 or so. THEY HAD NO TIMEOUTS! Run the ball! They would have gotten the ball back at the 2:00 warning. The defense? Please tell me… What happened to the amoeba defense? Why are we playing DB’s so far off on 3rd and short?

The Grade: We won…So D -. Again I ask….Where is the so called genius with McDaniel???. I don’t see it. Please explain it to me. I want a coach that makes the other team guess as to what we’re gonna do. With the weapons we have…..That should be every play. NOT HAPPENING. Our Defense isn’t making anyone do anything except get tired from their own long drives.

The Conclusion: I’m really starting to sour on McDaniel. I wanted to believe….But 0 points in the 2nd half is damning for an offensive “Genius”. I’ll take the win…. But I’m not happy about it.

I also wonder why there were so few plays to the outside, especially with Pittsburgh doing everything in their power to take away the inside.

The 4th and three bugs me, but I've said enough on that already. I think you take the three points there.

Very concerned about the pass rush, but I do understand some defensive changes with so many injuries in the secondary.

This team can look so explosive at times, but the run game still needs to do better. Although, I thought Mostert played really well.

Offensive geniuses get hired for being offensive geniuses, and fired for not being offensive geniuses. McD is joined at the hip with Tua for now. Who survives a few years down the road? Both? Neither? Perennial playoff contenders have great QB/Head Coach combos.

Fair grades. Can’t argue with much here. It was about as disappointing as winning a must-win could be. Reminiscent of some games last season against bad opposing QBs. Saints and Texans games come to mind.

McDaniel needs to get this turned around.

Zimm - good work. I’m right there with you on McDaniel. He’s losing me. We haven’t scored enough points in any game other than Baltimore - I’m very cynical when it comes to these “geniuses” - they disappoint more often than not. Not only did we not score in the 2nd half, we had 5 consecutive 3 and outs after the dumb decision to not kick the FG. Which leads me to Tua…. Very good first half but atrocious 2nd half. I guess C- is fair but I’d have preferred he started cold and then got better but whatever, we won!

A couple things:

X was darn good. 1 catch given up for 4 yards. At one point they showed a mashup of plays where he was in coverage but the ball wasn’t thrown near him. He was abusing their WRs w smothering coverage. So much so, Pitt didn’t let the rookie throw his way. He quietly may have had his best game of the year.

There was a Baker sighting and it was a key one. He grabbed Harris short of the sticks and held him on 3rd down late. It was a big play.

You’re so right about Armstead - the line is night and day when he plays. I thought they deserved a B or B+ even for no sacks yielded, no shots on Tua really and us rushing for over 100. That said, we didn’t get a single first down after the opening drive of the 2nd half so that’s not good on anyone on the O I suppose.

Iggy - is it me or does it look like he’s calming down? He’s been so handsy in the limited action he’s seen prior to last night as if he’s nervous about letting a guy beat him etc. Then he seemed to settle in and play more instinctively. Perhaps it’s a case of needing to take your lumps while you get used to game speed. I sure hope so - we could really use a surge from him w this depleted DB unit. Happy for the kid, I really am.

The run D was stout against Harris. That was a good effort. We had no answer for the dink and dunk but when Pickett tried to push the ball we turned him over.

We have got to figure out how to score more points w this offense 13, 42, 21, 15, 17, 16, 16 isn’t good enough. W 4 wins it kinda makes me appreciate the defense more than they get credit for.

Last edited:
Zimm - good work. I’m right there with you on McDaniel. He’s losing me. We haven’t scored enough points in any game other than Baltimore - I’m very cynical when it comes to these “geniuses” - they disappoint more often than not. Not only did we not score in the 2nd half, we had 5 consecutive 3 and outs after the dumb decision to not kick the FG. Which leads me to Tua…. Very good first half but atrocious 2nd half. I guess C- is fair but I’d have preferred he started cold and then got better but whatever, we won!

A couple things:

X was darn good. 1 catch given up for 4 yards. At one point they showed a mashup of plays where he was in coverage but the ball wasn’t thrown near him. He was abusing their WRs w smothering coverage. So much so, Pitt didn’t let the rookie throw his way. He quietly may have had his best game of the year.

There was a Baker sighting and it was a key one. He grabbed Harris short of the sticks and held him on 3rd down late. It was a big play.

You’re so right about Armstead - the line is night and day when he plays. I thought they deserved a B or B+ even for no sacks yielded, no shots on Tua really and us rushing for over 100. That said, we didn’t get a single first down after the opening drive of the 2nd half so that’s not good on anyone on the O I suppose.

Iggy - is it me or does it look like he’s calming down? He’s been so handsy in the limited action he’s seen prior to last night as if he’s nervous about letting a guy beat him etc. Then he seemed to settle in and play more instinctively. Perhaps it’s a case of needing to take your lumps while you get used to game speed. I sure hope so - we could really use a surge from him w this depleted DB unit. Happy for the kid, I really am.

The run D was stout against Harris. That was a good effort. We had no answer for the dink and dunk but when Pickett tried to push the ball we turned him over.

We have got to figure out how to score more points w this offense 13, 42, 21, 15, 17, 16, 16 isn’t good enough. W 4 wins it kinda makes me appreciate the defense more than they get credit for.
Well said. I agree this was Howard's best game of the year and that Baker's play was big.

Offensively, i'm willing to chalk it up to some rust for Tua. After the scripted plays, the offense did very little.

Time to give Boyer some real credit. He is working without a lot of starters and the defense is winning games for Miami. What happens against the better quarterbacks could be a problem.

When is Byron Jones coming back?

The offensive play calling was absolute trash. It was the first time all season I questioned them consistently. Against the Bengals I thought they were pushing too much and last night they just didn’t get anything going then did dumb things like not taking the field goal and not doing much or anything in the second half. Zero points scored in the second half.

To be honest, a little surprised you have even a single gripe about the defense. What did you need the amoeba defense for… was 10pts given up and several turnovers not enough? How about the fact that the offense didn’t do much to support them and they held strong?

I don’t get the criticism for our defense at all. We’ve played excellent defensively all season and Josh Boyer has called excellent games every game.

The fact that our defense played as well as it did in 2 of the 3 games where we had a 3rd string QB is truly amazing to me.

I think most people here have no idea what to expect of a “great defense” any more and that’s probably because you’re holding onto what defense “once was”. We remember the Ravens or Bucs defenses… the NFL is not like that anymore. You had #1 D 49ers get crushed by the Chiefs…. It’s gonna happen. It’s an offensive league. We have a good defense and more importantly, Josh Boyer has been putting this team consistently in a position to succeed… all with the most injured secondary in the NFL.

I had issues with not going for the field goal while it was happening, then thought about it a little bit. We just got Pitt to a 3 and out on their first possession in the 2nd half. We march right down the field on them and was in scoring position. We go for it and make the 4th down and score a TD, the game is essentially over. We kick a field goal and the game is not as close at the end of the game. MM was going for the knock-out punch in the 3rd round and not wanting it to go the distance. I can't complain about that type of mentality. Did it work out, NO, but at least he isn't sitting around letting the game come to him, he is going to the game.

This McDaniel trolling is really stating to hurt the rest of your stellar work.

Dude is a ROOKIE head coach that started his career by beating three of the top 8 coaches in the NFL with vastly superior experience and consistency within their organizations. The offense is actually exciting and we had to deal with the entire world, even media outside of the NFL bashing the team for what happened to Tua. Not only that but we had the QB knocked out in three consecutive games and our secondary is gutted.

The dude made a mistake going for it on 4th down but give me a freaking break with the sky is falling McDaniel click bait. Even on that 4th down play it was the right call as Edmonds had an easy TD had he taken it to the outside which was sealed off..

Dude is a ROOKIE head coach that started his career by beating three of the top 8 coaches in the NFL with vastly superior experience and consistency within their organizations. The offense is actually exciting and we had to deal with the entire world, even media outside of the NFL bashing the team for what happened to Tua. Not only that but we had the QB knocked out in three consecutive games and our secondary is gutted.

The dude made a mistake going for it on 4th down but give me a freaking break with the sky is falling McDaniel click bait. Even on that 4th down play it was the right call as Edmonds had an easy TD had he taken it to the outside which was sealed off..

I’m with you on Coach McD but Zim is not trolling or posting click bait.
This is the thread’s third year or so. He’s earned the right to be wrong every now and again

I don't disagree with some of the criticism McDaniel is getting. Not going for the field goal at that time was a bad decision. His explanation is plausible but his faith in Edmonds is another poor choice. We continue to have some persistent problems with getting calls in quickly and the use of time-outs.

On the flip side, McDaniel is a refreshing personality. He seems to relate to the players really well and the team is truly behind him. He is still learning to be a head coach and some of these in-game issues will improve. He is no Flores, Gase or other recent coaches who failed for some many different reasons.

We simply don't have the depth to handle all the injuries we have suffered. O-line, QB's, and DB's. These injuries have forced a change in our game plan, particularly when Tua was out.

In this past game, I believe McDaniel game planned to protect Tua from himself. Especially, after seeing Tua try to bull-doze another defender. At times, I believe McDaniel over-complicates the situation and outsmarts himself. These issues will get better.

I’m not off the McD bus yet but he needs to stop the steady regression of the offense. Zimm is correct to call him out and question his premature offensive guru status. The play calling has gone from poor to abysmal the past few weeks. I gave him a pass for the backup QBs but what we saw Sunday night was atrocious. We literally attacked one area of the field, the intermediate middle, and when Pitt took that away we had no answers. If mcd and Tua can’t consistently attack outside the hashes then this offense and ultimate team is in serious trouble. I get that Tua was rusty, he was uncharacteristically inaccurate, but the play calling did him absolutely zero favors. Mcd cannot be so predictable and needs to start utilize more areas of the field consistently.

I’m with you on Coach McD but Zim is not trolling or posting click bait.
This is the thread’s third year or so. He’s earned the right to be wrong every now and again
He's mocking him by calling him a "genius" and by saying he's souring on a rookie head coach with a winning record. I don't care if he's Mother Teresa, in my mind that is trolling.

Back
Top Bottom