Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 7 Edition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 7 Edition

Success as a head coach in the NFL depends on talent, injuries and game-day coaching. Injuries to key players (including but not limited to Tua) have played a role in the three losses to the Bengals, Jets and Vikings. Now the secondary is decimated. The Fins are a good team but any injury to Hill or Waddle would be devastating. Mostert is the sum total of the running game and losing him would be a disaster.

Game-day coaching by the defense has compensated for McDaniel's issues as a rookie head coach and "offensive" genius. Tua sucked in the second half against Pittsburgh. The defense won that game. The defense shut down the Bills. Hill and Waddle beat the Ravens in the fourth quarter. Cedric Wilson and Edmonds are either not good or not being used as planned.

What I like about McDaniel is that he is not coaching scared and can hire and work with coaches hired from other organizations. He is learning.

The Byron Jones situation sucks. He will not play this year and we face a huge $15 million cap charge next year unless he is traded. He cannot be traded if his performance is negatively impacted by muscle atrophy. He will be paid next year injured or not.

There are 17 one-game seasons in a NFL season. ENJOY IT.
Well said. Do we know that Byron Jones isn't playing the remainder of the year? I haven't heard that.

Also, agree that Tua didn't play well in the second half against Pittsburgh. But it was Tua that got Hill and Waddle the ball versus Baltimore. That was a phenomenal game for him.

...On the flip side, McDaniel is a refreshing personality. He seems to relate to the players really well and the team is truly behind him. He is still learning to be a head coach and some of these in-game issues will improve. He is no Flores, Gase or other recent coaches who failed for some many different reasons...

Agree.

Plus, the difference between Queasy Joe & McD is night and day IMO.

The worst play of the night was the 4th and 3. MCD draws up a legendary play that would have been shown a billion times. He trust Tua to execute it, and Tua blows the read badly. Sheffield could have practically walked into the end zone. It kills me that such a monumental fake out was missed. I have been shaking my head at all the criticism people have been sending to MCD. People just do not know what was there. Sigh….

There are wins that you feel good about (Bills, Ravens, Patriots). There are also wins that frustrate you because we could have played so much better. Last night was one of those wins. I’m happy we won….But oh so unhappy about the way we won. On to the grades where I’ll explain my frustrations:

QB — The Good: No head injuries and no interceptions that were actually caught by Steeler defensive backs. Tua did make some nice throws and kept some drives alive. 21 of 35 for 261 Yards and a TD is a decent night.

The Bad: There we’re about 5 balls that should have been intercepted by Pittsburgh. That’s concerning to me. 3 of those throws were right in the hands of Steeler defenders. Tua missed high on a few throws that could have been caught and generally was a little off last night.

The Grade: C - . A little below average outing that really could have and should have been worse. We can chalk it up to rust. However, I really think play-calling has a lot to do with Tua’s below average performance. I’ll get into that subject in the coaching section.

RB’s — The Good: Mostert had a good game in general. 16 rushes for 79 yards was good last night. A few nice runs by Mostert had the Steelers on their heels at times. Add in 4 catches for 30 more yards with the only TD catch of the night and this grade belongs to Mostert.

The Bad: Besides Mostert there was no running game. Edmonds is just not effective when he has the ball in his hands. 17 yards on 7 rushes doesn’t really cut it. Especially getting shut down on 3rd and 4th down like he was. But again, I’m not a big fan of how he’s being used by this coaching staff.

The Grade: B - . Mostert is playing good ball. He’s been a pleasant surprise. Edmonds not so much. This Grade is definitely because of Mostert.

WR’s — The Good: Waddle, Hill and Sherfield were the receiving corp last night. Hill’s 7 catches for 72 yards were all big catches. Waddle had 4 catches for 88 yards and they were clutch as well. Sherfield kicked in 3 catches for 44 yards is what was a decent night for this crew.

The Bad: Most of the WR catches were off of an RPO look and right in center field. A couple deep shots to Hill weren’t on and impossible to complete. Hill looked a little off last night to be honest.

The Grade: B + . Another decent night for this group. Again, the play-calling has to change.

TE’s — The Good: 3 Catches for 27 yards was nice. All 3 catches helped in a big way for Gesicki.

The Bad: Gesicki was targeted 7 times and comes down with 3. Not much separation by Gesicki on the other 4 targets. No other TE made a catch.

The Grade: C - . Gesicki is better that what he showed last night. Period. We really need more production out of this group.

OL — The Good: Tua had some time to throw. These guys didn’t allow a recorded sack all night. We had over 100 yards rushing all tolled. Not a horrible outing by these guys and Armstead makes a HUGE difference on this line.

The Bad: There was no push on critical running plays when we needed it. The pocket broke down a few times way too early. Eichenberg is still not good.

The Grade: C . Overall, not a bad effort. We still need to clean some stuff up here….But it was a decent night for these guys.

DL — The Good: Some decent run stops when we needed it. Wilkins played well with 4 solo’s and a half sack. We only gave up 95 yards total rushing.

The Bad: As usual, nowhere near enough pressure on a rookie QB. We got gashed on a few runs…Although not too bad. The lack of pressure has gone from a minor concern to a major problem.

The Grade: C + . We held when we needed. That’s huge. The lack of a higher grade is due to the lack of pressure on the QB. That has to be addressed at some point.

LB’s — The Good: Jaelan Phillips was a man possessed after the half. I think he took his lack of production in the first half personally. 1.5 sacks and some determined play in the 2nd half helped a lot. Ingram was getting close there for awhile. Van Ginko and Riley had a few nice tackles.

The Bad: Not enough pressure on the QB in general. Too many plays were negative for these guys. Baker was invisible.

The Grade: B - . Actually not too bad by these guys. I’d like to see better, but holding an NFL team to 10 points is good enough.

DB’s — The Good: Great interceptions on all 3 picks by the boys here. MAD CREDIT to Noah Ig-Burned-Agony for the game saving pick. I hope this gives him some confidence going forward. Holland played a great ball game.

The Bad: Noah was picked on and responded as expected to be honest. Beat for the TD. His first play on the out and up should have been another TD but was a complete miss by Pickett. X was OK. He’s nowhere near where he was last year. That’s a fact.

The Grade: B . When you grab 3 picks from a QB and hold the opposition to 10 points….You’re doing something right. Especially with the absolute lack of support from the front 7.

ST’s — The Good: Sanders went 3 for 3. Morstead was decent as well. The coverage units were good in general.

The Bad: 1 bad punt by Morstead. Other than that…..Not too bad.

The Grade: B . Better night overall by these guys.

Coaching —The Good: I know this is gonna piss people off…..But not much here again.

The Bad: Where do I start? Not going for 3 to get your team up by 2 scores? The total lack of diversity in the play calling? Calling 2 running plays to your clearly inferior 2nd string RB and missing the 4th down conversion? How about no Jet Sweeps? How about no slants? How about getting the ball back with 2:51 seconds left and rolling Tua out on 3rd down with only 2 guys to the roll out side in a pattern? Pittsburgh got the ball back with 2:30 or so. THEY HAD NO TIMEOUTS! Run the ball! They would have gotten the ball back at the 2:00 warning. The defense? Please tell me… What happened to the amoeba defense? Why are we playing DB’s so far off on 3rd and short?

The Grade: We won…So D -. Again I ask….Where is the so called genius with McDaniel???. I don’t see it. Please explain it to me. I want a coach that makes the other team guess as to what we’re gonna do. With the weapons we have…..That should be every play. NOT HAPPENING. Our Defense isn’t making anyone do anything except get tired from their own long drives.

The Conclusion: I’m really starting to sour on McDaniel. I wanted to believe….But 0 points in the 2nd half is damning for an offensive “Genius”. I’ll take the win…. But I’m not happy about it.
just one thing.....Eich played well other than the two false starts......most of the good runs were to our left behind Armstead and Eich.....I know the guy is hated here by many but when he plays well we should say that too.

Game-day coaching by the defense has compensated for McDaniel's issues as a rookie head coach and "offensive" genius. Tua sucked in the second half against Pittsburgh. The defense won that game. The defense shut down the Bills. Hill and Waddle beat the Ravens in the fourth quarter. Cedric Wilson and Edmonds are either not good or not being used as planned.
I have had my doubts about MCD when watching the game. When I see the videos of all-22 made by so many posters on YouTube, I see how wrong I am. MCD is a genius. That incredible “I have programmed the defensive players to be helpless” 4th and 3 call Tua misread is a brilliant example. I wondered during the broadcast why MCD had a how could we blow that look on his face. It confused me until the all 22. That play was the worst read of Tua’s entire career. Sigh…

By the way, I thought Tua played reasonably well given this is a timing offense which demands incredibly high read and anticipation from the QB.

just one thing.....Eich played well other than the two false starts......most of the good runs were to our left behind Armstead and Eich.....I know the guy is hated here by many but when he plays well we should say that too.
He played to his ceiling at this point in his career. I still hesitate to call it playing well, but it was a nice step forward.

I have had my doubts about MCD when watching the game. When I see the videos of all-22 made by so many posters on YouTube, I see how wrong I am. MCD is a genius. That incredible “I have programmed the defensive players to be helpless” 4th and 3 call Tua misread is a brilliant example. I wondered during the broadcast why MCD had a how could we blow that look on his face. It confused me until the all 22. That play was the worst read of Tua’s entire career. Sigh…

By the way, I thought Tua played reasonably well given this is a timing offense which demands incredibly high read and anticipation from the QB.

So? Nothing but rainbows, lollipops, & sunshine from here on out? /s?

So? Nothing but rainbows, lollipops, & sunshine from here on out? /s?
No, but that was a very good job of programming a defense. Just like a sparing match. Backfist, backfist, then ridge hand. No one should fall for it, but boy did the Steelers sell out. Tua’s misread let the Steeler defense off from a very embarrassing rep.

Just my opinion, but once a team finds the key to stopping MIA's O, all (good) teams copy that scheme. Once the 'newness' of Mcd was solved, the O sputtered. This will NOT change. Mcd has to change. Certainly only a few here think MIA's O would have success against those same 3 teams again.

Forgoing the FG was a miss - expecting anything less than innovation from here on out would be a wrong - we haven’t solved everything but we are hell of a lot better than what you are suggesting compared to the HC of the past

Everything does rest on the QB getting the ball out however

Forgoing the FG was a miss - expecting anything less than innovation from here on out would be a wrong - we haven’t solved everything but we are hell of a lot better than what you are suggesting compared to the HC of the past

Everything does rest on the QB getting the ball out however

Agree Mia is better than past HCs, but it seems reasonable teams have figured out how to slow down the O. I LOVE Mcd's scheme, but he needs to learn to adjust

He played to his ceiling at this point in his career. I still hesitate to call it playing well, but it was a nice step forward.
well, it is his first year playing LG in only his 2nd NFL season so I'm willing to wait and see.

Agree Mia is better than past HCs, but it seems reasonable teams have figured out how to slow down the O. I LOVE Mcd's scheme, but he needs to learn to adjust

Some key drops and QB ball placement have slowed down the O and a fixation on getting Hill 15 targets a game

I don’t give the opposing D as much credits as you

I want to see Hill on some Jet sweeps over forcing throws

Back
Top Bottom