Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 8 Edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 8 Edition

Baker is good but if we had someone that is great we wouldn't remember his name.

It’s UNFAIR to good players, to call Jerome Baker a good player. At best he’s average and combined with his contract he’s a goner. 100%

As if our bad defense needs it’s bad players to stick around for some crazy reason.

Nah, I want a good defense.

The Bad: Besides Gesicki no catches for anyone.

The Bad: Boyer on the other hand was terrible in the first half. While he made adjustments in the 2nd half….I thought it took too long for him to catch on. We need MAJOR defensive help whether by trade or offseason.
I thought I heard the announcers say that Hunter Long got his first catch, but on the NFL site the stats show Tanner Conner as getting one reception. So, I really don't know who it was.

Coaching question: Why is it when teams are having a problem in a certain facet of the game (running the ball, stopping the run, etc.) in the first half and then they fix the problem in the second half, the Coaches get credit for making adjustments at half-time? For example, if the opponent marches straight down the field and scores TDs on their first two possessions by continuously hitting the TE in the middle of the field, the smart thing to do is to make the adjustments immediately, and not wait until half-time. I've never understood why it takes Coaches so long to make adjustments to what they're doing.

That was a great call by Campbell and in hindsight we should have been expecting it. We hadn’t stopped them yet and were so happy to finally get off of the field that I think we had a little mental lapse. That said, I am beginning to think our ST coach is the weakest link of the main units. We rank crappy in most ST categories and it isn’t just this year
Our ST fell off a cliff since we passed over Rizzi for the HC job.

I thought I heard the announcers say that Hunter Long got his first catch, but on the NFL site the stats show Tanner Conner as getting one reception. So, I really don't know who it was.

Coaching question: Why is it when teams are having a problem in a certain facet of the game (running the ball, stopping the run, etc.) in the first half and then they fix the problem in the second half, the Coaches get credit for making adjustments at half-time? For example, if the opponent marches straight down the field and scores TDs on their first two possessions by continuously hitting the TE in the middle of the field, the smart thing to do is to make the adjustments immediately, and not wait until half-time. I've never understood why it takes Coaches so long to make adjustments to what they're doing.
You can’t adjust drive to drive unless you think it’s going to be an ongoing problem or that the other team is keying on it.

The biggest thing to me is people need to step back and realize as long as we adjust in time to win the game then they adjusted in time. Period.

Long catch didn't count as over ruled by a Miami pen.

The inability of our front 4 to get any pressure combined with the fact our LB are below average in coverage is going to leave us vulnerable to TE and RB killing us in the passing game. Our offense is going to have to continue playing like they did against the Lions if this team is going to make the playoffs.

Yep this too - there had to have been a miscommunication w the guys upstairs or they all were in the John w explosive diarrhea at the time cause everyone - even people not watching the game - knew that was a TD.
Not only did they not throw the red flag they did a hurry play to avoid any challenge? Perhaps they saw something else that could have reversed the catch? It made no sense to hurry up at time.

On a positive, we didn't burn any timeouts this week.

Well….The offense is hitting on all cylinders for sure. It was actually amazing to watch. The defense on the other hand….. That was a tale of 2 halves. So…..Let’s get into the grades:

QB — The Good: Over 80% for 382 yards, 3 TD’s and no interceptions? That gets an A every time.

The Bad: N/A

The Grade: A . Need I say more?

RB’s — The Good: Mostert went for 64 on 16 carries. Edmonds went for 14 yards on 4 Carrie’s to chip in.

The Bad: Edmonds is just not living up to the preseason hype. He is slow to hit holes….And that’s just when he sees them. Most of the time, he doesn’t.

The Grade: B . Mostert gets most of the grade for this group. He’s running hard and churning out the yards.

WR’s — The Good: Hill and Waddle. Waddle and Hill. Unstoppable.

The Bad: Sanders gets called up and promptly fumbles the ball.

The Grade: A . Should have been an A + but Sanders fumble brought it down to only an A. Disappointing.

TE’s — The Good: Gesicki had 3 catches for 38 yards and a TD. No one else contributed. However, the blocking yesterday in the running and passing game was good.

The Bad: Besides Gesicki no catches for anyone.

The Grade: B . Not a bad outing by these guys overall.

OL — The Good: In general, the play of these guys was as good as I’ve seen in years. Excellent pass blocking and more than adequate run blocking was a shock to be honest.

The Bad: We lost Eichenberg for the year. Normally, I’d say that’s a great thing. But…He started coming on yesterday. Maybe it was sub par competition….But he looked good. The rest of the line played well. Improvements can still be made however.

The Grade: B + . What a difference Armstead makes.

DL — The Good: Sieler had a sack. The 2nd half was much better than the first for this group. However, that’s not saying much.

The Bad: There was absolutely no pressure on Goff most of the game. This is now a recurring issue for our defense. How much are we paying Ogbah? Wilkins has a pressure or 2. This is the thing that will limit our season for sure.

The Grade: C - : Much better in the 2nd half….But this unit still wasn’t good. The first half and all the penalties are definitely cause for concern.

LB’s — The Good: Baker, Roberts, Riley, Phillips and Ingram combined for 12 tackles. Wait…..That’s good??

The Bad: Not a great day for these guys. 12 total tackles is not something to brag about. Baker consistently misses when trying to fill holes. No real game changing plays from anyone. They were better in the 2nd half…..But again….They were dismal in the first half.

The Grade: D +. This unit has got to improve. Period.

DB’s — The Good: X was a little better this week. Crossen and Kohou both had some nice plays in the 2nd half. Iggy wasn’t horrible.

The Bad: The entire first half. This unit couldn’t have covered Stephen Hawking in the first half. Much better in the 2nd. Again….. I wonder about the scheme and what Boyer is trying to accomplish.

The Grade: C - . The first half was abysmal. The 2nd half much better. I think it’s more than evident our depth or lack thereof is killing this unit.

ST’s — The Good: The coverage units were actually OK . Sanders made his 45 yarder.

The Bad: Morestead had 1 punt that went 38 yards.

The Grade: B. Not a bad day all in all for these guys.

Coaching — The Good: Mike McDaniel called a great game. For weeks I’ve been talking about end arounds and moving Tua out of the pocket. McD listened to me obviously and Tua was ON. Well done by McDaniel.

The Bad: Boyer on the other hand was terrible in the first half. While he made adjustments in the 2nd half….I thought it took too long for him to catch on. We need MAJOR defensive help whether by trade or offseason.

The Grade: B - . McDaniel earns the lion’s share of this grade for sure.

Conclusion : Another win….Which we definitely needed. My problem is we made Goff look like Pat Mahomes in the first half. We can’t do that and expect to beat good teams. The good news is next week we face a struggling Bears team.
Eich is not out for the year as far as I know.

QB has to be A+.

Other than that, good job.
I agree. Everyone but the ref’s know Tua really had 4 TD passes. At least that terrible call didn’t cost the Dolphins a touchdown since they were able to score on the next play.

Not only did they not throw the red flag they did a hurry play to avoid any challenge? Perhaps they saw something else that could have reversed the catch? It made no sense to hurry up at time.

On a positive, we didn't burn any timeouts this week.
Maybe they didn’t want to give the lions a chance to switch personnel.

I beat you up last week for McD.

This week you were too kind.

He's a C- because of the constant penalities and not challenging the clear 4th Tua TD.

McDaniel needs to clean up the rampant, disruptive and undisciplined penalties. It starts and ends soley on his shoulders.

I love the energy that Javon and Elandon bring. You can just see that every time they go at someone they want to put them in the hospital. They hit with severity.

Back
Top Bottom