Zim’s Grades Week 10 Edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades Week 10 Edition

“ The NFL isn’t as hard as I thought “ Famous last words from Tua. I’m pretty sure he’s gonna take some flak for that statement. To be fair, it wasn’t all on him. Let’s look at the grades.

QB’s - F : Tua was just not good today. A penalty wiped out a pick. He wasn’t accurate. His timing was way off. He took way too long in the pocket with a porous OL. Fitz could have brought this grade to a D or higher until he decided to stare down Parker with 1 minute left and got picked. Tua will have better days, but this day was definitely not his best.

RB’s - D+ : Ahmed was OK for not having an inch of room to run through. Brieda was non-existent. It’s starting to look like a failed trade for Chris Grier on the Brieda deal.

WR’s - C - : Thank God for Parker or this would have been a shutout. No separation from ANYONE else. Tua didn’t get much help from this lot. Parker got the, the C - by himself.

TE’s - D - : Gesicki was OK. A couple of catches... But that’s it. Playing against a defense that hasn’t covered a TE all year. Pathetic effort to be honest.

OL - F - : COMPLETE HORSESHIT. I could not be less impressed. A total failure all the way across. If someone asks me about the OL’s execution I’d say I’m all for it. I thought we were over performances like that. I guess I was wrong.

DL - D : Another bad job. Apparently we can’t stop the counter in any way shape or form. No sacks. Ugh. We missed Wilkins today.

LB’s D+ : Van Ginkel was the lone bright spot and he wasn’t that bright. 2 costly penalties on one play. He made up for that with the forced fumble. Van Noy was noticeably hampered by the hip. Elandon Roberts is a waste of FA money In my book. Where was Baker today?

DB’s C : X with another pick. Gotta love that guy. Jones played well. Needham played well. By far the best unit on the team except for ST’s.

ST’s B : Haack with some nice punts. Sanders perfect. Not a bad day actually.

Coaching - F : WTF was that? Your rookie QB is struggling behind a struggling OL. Denver is bringing pressure everywhere. What do you do? Well... If you’re Chan Gailey you keep calling 20 yard outs with receivers that aren’t getting any separation at all. Horrible. How about the D you ask? Well.... Why can they run the counter to the right 19 times and be stopped twice? This game started out so promising. We need to bounce back next week in a big way.
Why did we trade Drake again?
Oh to save money or something?
RB's fall out of trees?

Odd man out. Left side of DL? F- Rest of DL? C. Broncs ran around their right side all day.

Collectively the offensive line was brutally bad. No running lanes and constant lapses in the protection. Flowers probably had his worst game in 2 seasons. Davis shows us why he is not a great starter but spot filler. The rookies collectively looked bad. Our game planning outside of the first 2 incomplete passes was ultra conservative and playing not to lose. Coaching adjustments were non-existent; we had no answers to their game plan.

The team drank the "kool-aid" and came in flat and a step behind everywhere. New York will sense the blood in the water and that game will not be as easy as we would like.

The offense has been bottom 5 in the NFL for 4 weeks. Most of our points come off of turnovers or special teams plays. Fitzpatrick made this offense look a lot better than it really was with his ability to “coin flip” plays. Don’t know what people expect from Tua with JAG WRs that can’t get open, JAG RBs that average 3 YPC and rookie OL that get fooled by stunts all day long. Not to mention play calling that goes from brilliant to questionable at any given time.
The play calling is only questionable when it doesn’t work. 32 teams’ fans hate their OC when the team loses and love them when they win. Big picture Gailey is the best OC we’ve had since the last time he was here. He’s scoring 8 PPG more than Gase and Philbin and Sparano teams - and with far less talent and mediocre at best QB play from Fitz and Tua (so far). There are no weapons who can “create” on offense. Yet during the 5 game win streak he found ways to out-scheme better defenses / athletes w guys like Adam Shaheen, Duram Smythe, Gaskins, Ahmed, Hollins, etc. Let’s be real - most of these guys don’t see playing time on other teams. Gailey understands what he has to work with and is very efficient with it. A younger, less experienced OC likely tries to force things and we aren’t 6-4. Our offense is making chicken salad out of chicken **** for a roster. Coaching has been our no 1 strength this year - from Flores to Boyer to Gailey to whoever coaches the kicking game. It sure as hell isn’t the talent on the field because we don’t have a lot of DEVELOPED talent yet. Big picture fellas. We are ahead of plan and we are a good team w solid fundamentals (the team wasn’t ready yesterday - happens). Big picture last game will come down to playoff bid. Book it.

The play calling is only questionable when it doesn’t work. 32 teams’ fans hate their OC when the team loses and love them when they win. Big picture Gailey is the best OC we’ve had since the last time he was here. He’s scoring 8 PPG more than Gase and Philbin and Sparano teams - and with far less talent and mediocre at best QB play from Fitz and Tua (so far). There are no weapons who can “create” on offense. Yet during the 5 game win streak he found ways to out-scheme better defenses / athletes w guys like Adam Shaheen, Duram Smythe, Gaskins, Ahmed, Hollins, etc. Let’s be real - most of these guys don’t see playing time on other teams. Gailey understands what he has to work with and is very efficient with it. A younger, less experienced OC likely tries to force things and we aren’t 6-4. Our offense is making chicken salad out of chicken **** for a roster. Coaching has been our no 1 strength this year - from Flores to Boyer to Gailey to whoever coaches the kicking game. It sure as hell isn’t the talent on the field because we don’t have a lot of DEVELOPED talent yet. Big picture fellas. We are ahead of plan and we are a good team w solid fundamentals (the team wasn’t ready yesterday - happens). Big picture last game will come down to playoff bid. Book it.
Agree, good post.

I can not disagree with any of the grades. The most ridiculous aspect of how poorly the entire team played yesterday is that they were within one pass play in the final minute of the game of sending the game into overtime. If they had been able to figure out a way to stop the Broncos from running all over them and they had gotten a C game out of the offensive line instead of an F performance, the Dolphins could have actually won the game.

Yet I give all the credit to the Broncos players and coaches. They had a great game plan on both sides of the ball and they deserved to win the game.

Last edited:
Most disappointed with the play of the offensive line versus Denver. On that last drive, the unit actually did a good job protecting Fitzpatrick. Too little, too late.

Not much on the positive side. The fourth down stop early in the third quarter, Howard's interception, and Van Ginkel's forced fumble. On offense the touchdown pass to Parker.

This was the first game of the season where Miami didn't match or exceed the energy level of the opponent. I thought that would happen in the second half, but just never got there.

It hurts, but hopefully will be a learning experience for a young team. You can't just show up and expect to win in the NFL.

PPG is a misleading stat when your defense/ST directly contribute to the score every week. Can’t rely on splash plays and shortened fields to win games every week. The only area our offense has been above average in is converting turnovers created by the defense into points. Which is a good thing. However, at some point you need a few real drives that lead to scores to win games.

PPG is a misleading stat when your defense/ST directly contribute to the score every week. Can’t rely on splash plays and shortened fields to win games every week. The only area our offense has been above average in is converting turnovers created by the defense into points. Which is a good thing. However, at some point you need a few real drives that lead to scores to win games.
Agreed. All I’m saying is we’ve always gotten those ST and defensive TDs the last 5 years - Grant had 4, Drake 1, Reshad 5-6. And so the 19 or 20 PPG was really less OR we can just say “yeah this evens out”. Finally, we have been converting turnovers to scores this year, are better in the RZ, TOP is better as our 3rd down % success rate. Offense hasn’t been this efficient in a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom